Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I too use Redding lock rings exclusively. I may switch to Forster for those as well.

I certainly intend to make the switch to the press when one comes available.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be patient, it took several months of being back ordered for my co-ax to come in. Their Forster BR FL sizing set in 6.5CM was back ordered 6 months before it showed up. Seems like a lot of folks are after the same gear.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Scheels in Fargo has at least 1 in stock if you want the floor model.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have looked these over numerous times. I now believe I will replace my time honored RockChucker with one. I am curious how others deal with the slop in the die groove when making the transition?

I went from a Rock Chucker to the Forster Co-Ax! The run-out gauge shows excellent results when useing Forster lock rings. I didn't care for the universal shell holder setup so purchased a kit from midway USA that converted mine to regular shell holders.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Forster is a solid piece of equipment, no doubt. But it doesn't have magical powers over runout that others lack. Lately I've been assembling very straight cartridges using an $89 Lyman c-press.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mathman
The Forster is a solid piece of equipment, no doubt. But it doesn't have magical powers over runout that others lack. Lately I've been assembling very straight cartridges using an $89 Lyman c-press.

I have found it easier to set up and achieve great results due to the fact that self alignment occurs on both the shell holder end and the die end. I'm assuming the reason for this is sometimes shell holders can tend grab the case bottom before it achieves center when pressure is applied especially with used brass that can sometimes get small burrs on the rim during the feeding or ejecting cycle. However I do agree that when all these matters are looked at carefully any press with load straight ammo the Forster just takes some of these variables away. For the handloader that doesn't feel like analizing every small detail it is a convenient tool. In my tests the Forster did make straight ammo on the first attempt where some other presses I've used I have encountered small trivial things that needed to be addressed. Some of this may be due to the fact that I'm not that great at setup and am impatient. This is my experience and others may have differing results

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 08/13/20.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by shinbone
I keep a pile of Forster lock rings on hand. I tend to buy Redding dies. Whenever I get a new die, the first thing I do is switch out the Redding lock ring for a Forster lock ring.

ido the same

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

SS336
Nice looking bench! Really.
I bought mine in 1970 or so. One of the all time best purchases ever.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love my Forster Co-Ax press

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the kind words, RinB. It is kind of simple compared to most on here but it gets it done.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
If anyone is interested, the Forster Co-Ax presses are now available at MidwayUSA. I just bought one.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had a Co-Ax and a 1960s Rockchucker for over 20 years, the RC for well over 30. I bought the Co-Ax as a planned upgrade.

The Co-Ax is capable of producing ammo with virtually no runout ... just like the Rockchucker. The only difference is the longer lever throw of the Co-Ax, thus slower reloads with the Co-Ax.

99% of my reloads are done with the significantly faster Rockchucker. My Co-Ax has dust on it.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, AKislander, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 12 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.