Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
At this point, I'd almost be willing to fund some Folgers Coffee commercial action regarding this whole Berger bullets thing:

"We've secretly replaced this Barnes shooter's ammunition with some loaded with Berger Match Grade Hunting bullets and rezero'd his rifle. Let's watch, and see how he responds."

"Hot DAMN! That bull took a nose dive!! Barnes bullets, boys!!!"

"Sir, actually, we replaced your Barnes bullets with Berger Match Grade Hunting bullets and re-zeroed your rifle. If you'd been shooting Barnes, the wind drift would have taken your shot right out of the kill zone and into his guts, and the bullet drop at that range would have had you skimming his belly with your preferred Barnes bullet. You should have learned to account for drop and drift by now, but we knew you wouldn't."

"No schitt?? You switched my ammo? What the fuuck??? You been fuucking with my gun?? You son of a bitch!!!"

"There you have it, folks. Another happy Berger Match Grade Hunting bullets user."

If you're looking for a casting director, ping Beaver10.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Switch
I hate Leupold and Berger! Useless for hunting, won't kill anything with those bullets or a rifle scoped with Leupold! Also can throw in the 6.5 Creed into this group.

The trifecta.

80yds first shot facing that went deep enough to break the spine behind front shoulders.

Second shot hit the bull in the shoulder broadside as he pivoted from hindquarters dropping and dropped him.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

270yds bull died within 15 yds.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/8804/ozRVSN.jpg

500 yds. Bull made maybe 5yds total but that kid was pretty fast on the trigger and hit him perfectly 3 times before he could find the dirt.

Most boltgunners would not have had time for a second shot.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nice Deers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Nice Deers!

Thanks.

One Pro Tip that universally applies to anyone wanting good terminal performance with Bergers also applies to those who wish good tracking performance from Leupolds.

Launch the Bergers from and mount the Leupold to an accurate rifle that you actually shoot well.

It's amazing how many who have issues with both products fail to follow this simple advise.

Just Sayin. grin

Last edited by JohnBurns; 08/12/20.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Yep😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
At this point, I'd almost be willing to fund some Folgers Coffee commercial action regarding this whole Berger bullets thing:

"We've secretly replaced this Barnes shooter's ammunition with some loaded with Berger Match Grade Hunting bullets and rezero'd his rifle. Let's watch, and see how he responds."

"Hot DAMN! That bull took a nose dive!! Barnes bullets, boys!!!"

"Sir, actually, we replaced your Barnes bullets with Berger Match Grade Hunting bullets and re-zeroed your rifle. If you'd been shooting Barnes, the wind drift would have taken your shot right out of the kill zone and into his guts, and the bullet drop at that range would have had you skimming his belly with your preferred Barnes bullet. You should have learned to account for drop and drift by now, but we knew you wouldn't."

"No schitt?? You switched my ammo? What the fuuck??? You been fuucking with my gun?? You son of a bitch!!!"

"There you have it, folks. Another happy Berger Match Grade Hunting bullets user."

If you're looking for a casting director, ping Beaver10.

I put a casting call advertisement in Big Bone & Bulls Magazine. I was surprised at the high level talent that responded.

Playing the lead role of unsuspecting hunter is wabigoon.

Playing the role of ammo switching prankster #1 went to Renegade50

Playing the role of ammo Switching prankster #2 went to Slumlord

Narrator lead for voice over went to Valsdad - Geno

Off screen armorer for zeroing in the rifle went to CummingsCowboy

The Big Bull that dies was provided by THE ANIMAL FARM where Sharp_Things hunts.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Here we go again!! 😂😂😂

Berger is the new “leupold” haha

I heard they bounce off hides...Crazy!

😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I put a casting call advertisement in Big Bone & Bulls Magazine. I was surprised at the high level talent that responded.

Playing the lead role of unsuspecting hunter is wabigoon.

Playing the role of ammo switching prankster #1 went to Renegade50

Playing the role of ammo Switching prankster #2 went to Slumlord

Narrator lead for voice over went to Valsdad - Geno

Off screen armorer for zeroing in the rifle went to CummingsCowboy

The Big Bull that dies was provided by THE ANIMAL FARM where Sharp_Things hunts.

😎

LMAO

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
As a handloader who loads to hunt, can anyone tell me why I'd reach for a box of Bergers? Let's just say I am loading for my 6.5 PRC getting ready to hunt Elk and Mule Deer in Colorado. The hunting will be done in areas where there is dark timber and in open areas where a shot of 400 yards may present itself.

On the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse are 140 grain bullets in Nosler AB @ 68cents/bullet, Nosler BT @38 Nosler Partition80, Sierra BTSP @35, Hornady SST@ 1 and Berger Elite Hunter @45.

Why do I go for the Berger?

In your scenario bullet choice should be pretty far down the list for a successful hunt....

That was my first thought. You're paying for the fuel to drive from wherever to the Colorado mountains, paying for tags and taking time off work, at a minimum.

Why the hell would I care if bullets are 35 cents each, $1 each or anywhere in between? Even with an absurd amount of shooting practice, that's pennies on the dollar compared to your other expenses.

I kind of sense this being a trick question though...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Nice Deers!

Thanks.

One Pro Tip that universally applies to anyone wanting good terminal performance with Bergers also applies to those who wish good tracking performance from Leupolds.

Launch the Bergers from and mount the Leupold to an accurate rifle that you actually shoot well.

It's amazing how many who have issues with both products fail to follow this simple advise.

Just Sayin. grin

I'm with you on that. My Leupolds track about as well as three other scope brands I own and the Leupolds hold zero and have the best optics of all and are also light. I think some buy their Leupolds from Chang's Market in Beijing. What I hear here about Leupolds is not what I've experienced.

As for Bergers, I haven't killed any game with them yet but they are very accurate and I doubt they bounce off Texas White Tails.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/12/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had a couple of rifles become more accurate and easier for me to shoot well after I had their Leupolds worked on.

IC B3

L
L
There are two answers to this, guys who have successfully used target/match bullets to harvest game with no problems, and guys who have never shot anything with those types of bullets but believe that they are less effective than a .22 because the jacket is .1mm thinner.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
As a handloader who loads to hunt, can anyone tell me why I'd reach for a box of Bergers? Let's just say I am loading for my 6.5 PRC getting ready to hunt Elk and Mule Deer in Colorado. The hunting will be done in areas where there is dark timber and in open areas where a shot of 400 yards may present itself.

On the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse are 140 grain bullets in Nosler AB @ 68cents/bullet, Nosler BT @38 Nosler Partition80, Sierra BTSP @35, Hornady SST@ 1 and Berger Elite Hunter @45.

In your scenario bullet choice should be pretty far down the list for a successful hunt....

That was my first thought. You're paying for the fuel to drive from wherever to the Colorado mountains, paying for tags and taking time off work, at a minimum.

Why the hell would I care if bullets are 35 cents each, $1 each or anywhere in between? Even with an absurd amount of shooting practice, that's pennies on the dollar compared to your other expenses.

It wasn't a trick question at all. My bullet cabinet is full of all of the above bullets but Bergers. Why spend more when I can get an accurate, quality cup and core bullet for less? They simply fall into a middle ground with me. When I ask myself why I'd reach for them, I can't give myself a good answer.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

It wasn't a trick question at all. My bullet cabinet is full of all of the above bullets but Bergers. Why spend more when I can get an accurate, quality cup and core bullet for less? They simply fall into a middle ground with me. When I ask myself why I'd reach for them, I can't give myself a good answer.

Exactly, Paul. If they don't tick any boxes for you, there is no reason to reach for them. They aren't magic by any means, and they don't kill any better than other bullets do. They do a few things better than many other bullets, but if you don't need to do those things, you don't need them.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep that’s pretty much it. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Fair enough. I was sensing it was maybe a money issue, but if you're liking the more expensive accubonds and partitions and they work for you---then rock on.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by LightweightBaby
There are two answers to this, guys who have successfully used target/match bullets to harvest game with no problems, and guys who have never shot anything with those types of bullets but believe that they are less effective than a .22 because the jacket is .1mm thinner.

And a third who had zero expansion on deer, spent time chasing 2x deer with pinholes and decided to pass in future despite the universal praise of scenars

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
I’ve killed elk, deer, and bear with them from 50 yards to 400. Nothing but positive experiences for me.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
L
L
Originally Posted by OttoG
Originally Posted by LightweightBaby

And a third who had zero expansion on deer, spent time chasing 2x deer with pinholes and decided to pass in future despite the universal praise of scenars

So you placed two shots poorly and blamed the bullets?

Last edited by LightweightBaby; 08/17/20.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,510
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.