Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hi there

I have had a Coleman Gas Lantern (220H) since 1974. I have replaced plenty of parts on it, most recently the check valve. Anyway, It runs on white gas. I just purchased a gallon and am now $16 further from dying a rich man. White gas seems to be harder to find and definitely more expensive.

I am thinking about making a switch to a dual fuel Coleman lantern, so I can run off unleaded. I would like to hear from people who have made that transition from the old white gas Coleman lanterns to the newer dual fuel Colemans.

I would appreciate hearing from people who have made the switch. I am curious about carbon buildup, and reliability.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Run the white gas, it runs cleaner and gives less problems.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The dual fuel will run on unleaded, but its hard on the pump and seals. White gas is far preferable. You can also use naptha, like they sell in paint stores. Unleaded pretty much ruined my dual-fuel over time.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I see what you did there.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I see what you did there.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have used unleaded high test gasoline in our regular Coleman lanterns and stove a few times when we ran out of naphtha on long hunting trips.

Just stole some from the outboard motor tank with no problems at all. smile

Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go propane and refillable bottles.

Propane lantern

Refillable

Refill kit

I got my bottles from my local propane dealer full.
Kind of expensive to start but fuel will be cheap in the long run

Last edited by Traveler52; 08/15/20.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
NorthStar.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Traveler52

Refill kit

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Cheaper in the long run.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Traveler52

Refill kit

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

You can get a refill adapter from Harbor Freight or Walmart much cheaper. Tractor Supply probably has them as well. I THINK they are about $10.00. You don't need a hose and tank stand to do this. Just screw the adapter onto your 5 gallon propane tank, turn your tank upside down and set it on the edge of a table or other flat stable surface, screw your 1 lb. empty bottle onto it, and open the valve. It works best if you get the 1 lb. bottle colder than the tank. You can put it in the freezer to do this if you are in a warm climate. When you unscrew the bottle, make sure the stem valve on it properly closes. Put a little water on it and check for bubbles. Beware of refilling rusted bottles. These disposable bottles are not as strong as "refillable" tanks.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have several Coleman lanterns, both fuel type and propane, and at one time had a hobby of rebuilding them. Both type work fine to produce light. Propane admittedly is easier to work with, but I like the nostalgia of fuel lanterns. I do not recommend using unleaded gasoline in them unless you have to as opposed to Coleman or equivalent brand fuel, such as Crown. Naptha or mineral spirits works fine also. Unleaded gasoline is very hard on the lantern's generator.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used white gas in my dual fuel lanterns at camp. I used it pretty much two nights week from November to April for better than 15 years. I never had to replace a part on any of the three except for mantles. White gas was alot cheaper then and so were those dual fuel lanterns.
All that said if I had to pay $16 for it I would think about using unleaded gas. If you only buy a gallon a year no big deal but if your buying a gallon
every couple weeks then maybe keeping a few parts around or just living with shorter life span of your lanterns might be cheaper in the long run.
At saving $13 or more a gallon it wouldn't take too many seasons to pay for new lanterns.

If i had to start from scratch I would likely look for an alternative to the lanterns for my camp lighting. Im not one of those guys that appreciated the hissing. I was buying gas for ATVs , white gas, ,propane charcoal and charging batteries for the inverter systems we had for cabin lights. I always said we had a hodgpodge of fuels to run the camp.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Isn't #1 Kerosene the same deal as white gas? I run #1 in my torpedo heaters.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
LED lights have changed the game-

#1-I'd go LED battery lantern. Rechargeable batteries if you're concerned about the environment.

#2-propane lantern, can refill 1# bottles with adapter off a 20# tank

#3-keep buying white gas

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We used to have a deer camp with no electricity we tried unleaded and the lanterns quit working pretty quick and have to be repaired.the white gas works better and is brighter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Isn't #1 Kerosene the same deal as white gas? I run #1 in my torpedo heaters.

No on is kero the other is a gasoline product.

I haven't used a gas lantern in 20+years, before they started using ethanol thing may
be different now.

But, we always used Amoco premium unleaded.
Nothing else.
It was as clear as water, no tint, much cleaner burning than anything else.
Never had much trouble with the lanterns, and our fuel was $1/gal not $8.

And it wasn't a brand thing, The Amoco owners were not nice people and they never
had a low price. We went where we didn't want to go, to get the product.

I have run the stove on Shell premium, it seems to work fine.
Even with ethanol in it. Not a lot though, just a few hours a year, then dump
the fuel if I remember. I really should stock up on generators for the stoves, or get
the propane adapters.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Early 80's when I first started working hunting camps we used strictly liquid fuel. There was a bit more maintenance on the lanterns back then as they went through some abuse packing in to some of the more remote camps. Packing fuel that far was also a bit risky when one did not get the pack string they wished for. Several years later we switched to propane . Our spike camps got by with one propane tank from Aug to November usually! Much less hassle all the way around. Ran long hoses to the main lantern and cook stove.....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
White gas?

Are you another one of those 90 year old dudes??

Get battery one, even a rechargeable one like my toddlers had before your shaky old hands pour gas all over your dungarees and risk setting yourself on fire.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I picked up some off brand camp fuel from Walmart that was about 2/3rds the cost of Coleman..I use mostly propane now. I tried the dual fuel ,but it seems to foul up the generators a lot quicker. Can' t beat the gas lanterns for heat though , propane just gives off more moisture . We have an adapter that fits on a 20 pound propane tank. and the lantern fits on that.We fit it up when we get up to feed the stock and have good light to saddle up with. When we are ready to leave, we turn it off and that few extra minutes of burning gives us time to mount up and get the pack string moving

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/16/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,384
Posts18,469,614
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.