Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm considering a build on M70 FW action. I cant seem to find a McMillan website for their stocks, only their rifles. I've heard rumors the current Edge fill is weighing more than previous versions. Anyone have a confirmed weight?

I'm not keen on alot of work to make a stock work other than the basics (bedding, barrel channel mods, etc). Any other options to consider for a M70?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm. Thank you for the link. I couldn't find that link despite searching for 10 mins. Guess my Google-fu needs a bit of work.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bansner and Brown Precision are two other quality stocks. Got a budget in mind?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Brown 'pounder is the lightest I know of currently. You might check MPI at one time they made some almost skeletonized stocks.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My McMillan Edge is 23 oz, about 7-8 oz lighter than the factory EW stock and IMO has better ergonomics. It was worth the cost to me. I was patient and waited until a used stock showed up in the classifieds here and saved some money. After selling my factory stock I only have about $250 in the McMillan.

I've had a Brown Precision and Hi-Tech Specialties (Bansner) in the past on other rifles. They are very good quality, but will require some final fitting and finishing by you or a gunsmith. McMillan can usually be taken out of the box and bolted to the rifle, some minor trimming may be required in rare cases. Some bed them but I've gone both ways and never seen any improvement.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Check out MP I's mountain rifle stock

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Wildcat composites makes lighweight stocks for the Model 70.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/14898206/all/mcmillan-lost-their-edge

Good thread on the topic...

I've faced this same dilemma with M70s as well...

I'd like to try a Brown Pound'R but if they are finishing around 22-23oz with pad, paint, and bedding. At that point you're 3-5 ounces away from an Edge. The edge costs considerably less than the overall cost incurred of finishing out a Brown blank. How bad do you want those ounces $$.

I asked Manners nicely if they would consider inletting that wonderful new Ultra Classic stock for a M70 and got rejected. Too bad.

Is it such a shame the lack of support for M70s in stock and bottom metal selection.

MPI is intriguing for sure if a guy wanted a truly lightweight stock. I wonder how durable and rigid they are.

Last edited by GuideGun; 08/17/20.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JMR40
My McMillan Edge is 23 oz, about 7-8 oz lighter than the factory EW stock and IMO has better ergonomics. It was worth the cost to me. I was patient and waited until a used stock showed up in the classifieds here and saved some money. After selling my factory stock I only have about $250 in the McMillan.

I've had a Brown Precision and Hi-Tech Specialties (Bansner) in the past on other rifles. They are very good quality, but will require some final fitting and finishing by you or a gunsmith. McMillan can usually be taken out of the box and bolted to the rifle, some minor trimming may be required in rare cases. Some bed them but I've gone both ways and never seen any improvement.

I like the Bansner stocks...but, I kinda enjoy finishing them so that makes it more cost effective. I've not had them finish one up, just gone from blanks. It's not hard, especially after you've done one. At any rate, another option to muddy the waters.

I'm not sure which site is correct:

https://www.bansnerandcompany.com/bansner-composite-rifle-stocks/

https://www.legendaryarmsworks.com/category-s/112.htm

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I like the Bansner stocks...but, I kinda enjoy finishing them so that makes it more cost effective. I've not had them finish one up, just gone from blanks. It's not hard, especially after you've done one. At any rate, another option to muddy the waters.

I'm not sure which site is correct:

https://www.bansnerandcompany.com/bansner-composite-rifle-stocks/

This is the one (site) you want.
Call Mark - he’s fun to chat with. I’m excited to get one of his new stocks in the Miller pattern.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 08/17/20. Reason: CL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both my Brown Precision stocks are camo painted Kevlar. My first early one is hollow, but the second one is foam filled and way better. Lighter and stiffer than hand laid up fiberglass. Brown Precision finished both rifles for me if you want to go that route. Both rifles finished around 7# with Euro 30mm variable scopes.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have 4 Brown 'pounders. I bedded and finished all of them myself. The kevlar fiber is a little difficult to work and razor blades are necessary to trim and fibers that stick up.

I like them a lot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My McM FWT Edge weighs 23 ounces.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Don't know about models inletted for but recently held a Stockys carbon fiber stock and it was uberific, albeit beyond what I consider weight savings to be realistically worth.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Docbill
I have 4 Brown 'pounders. I bedded and finished all of them myself. The kevlar fiber is a little difficult to work and razor blades are necessary to trim and fibers that stick up.

I like them a lot.

I like them too. Like someone else said, they are just about the lightest stock you can find. They are damn rigid and tough as well. Soak up recoil very well too. Win win, if you can afford it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

I put a post up here yesterday morning but apparently it didn't post.

I like the Brown Precision stocks but at $1000 I couldn't swallow that.

If the McM Edge are coming in at 22-23 oz, I can live with that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This gun goes 8lbs even with the TPS SL Alloys, Warne Bases, McM Hunters EDGE, 3x9 SS scope. It’s just a plain old P64 Fwt 30-06. I am pretty sure that stock was right at 23 ounces bare.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like that rig!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
I like that rig!

Thanks buddy. It’s been a long road with it. Finally think I’m starting to get it sorted out.

That was my last 4 from 400 last night with the 212 ELDs. I’m beginning to get soft on the old 30-06.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 44 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,148
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.