Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Does anyone own, or has anyone shot a Savage Axis II with a short 20" barrel in 243 Win?

I'd like you know your thoughts or this little rifle.

Accuracy? Ammo preference? Performance on deer?

Good....Bad??

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
HR IC

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have 2 of them. One I bought as a truck, 4 wheeler rifle and the other I bought my wife. Mine I bought a adult size stock and found that it shoots Winchester 80gr factory shells into less than 1" consistently, I also hand load a 95gr NBT and it is well below 1".

My wife's I only tried the Hornady Low Recoil rounds and it does 1" 3 shot so I figured good enough for her as if she ever goes it will do fine.

Very happy with the Axis rifles. I own allot of other way more expensive rifles, some custom and some factory but for a great hunting tool, the Axis rifles are hard to beat. I hunted with an Axis 30-06 Stainless model last year and will probably do the same this deer season. No fear of weather or damage from beating around in the brush or dragging up a deer stand.

They are not heirlooms but are very capable of getting the job done. All of them I have messed with have been easy to find a round that they liked.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I found two on sale and decided to give one a try as a rainy day stand rifle for deer

How durable is the bluing?

Liberalism is a cancer
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Mine is an Axis II in 243 with 20” barrel

Liberalism is a cancer
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's what the 2 I have are. They were both had youth stocks on them.

Bluing seems fine, I have had one in the truck for about 2 years with no rust, etc.

HeavyBarrel

Last edited by HeavyBarrel; 08/17/20.

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
That's what the 2 I have are. They were both had youth stocks on them.

Bluing seems fine, I have had one in the truck for about 2 years with no rust, etc.

HeavyBarrel

Thank you very much for the reply. I’m encouraged based on your experience with them.

Liberalism is a cancer
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have had 3 AXIS with youth length stocks. All had 20 " bbls. 2 were 243 and one was 7MM-08. One axis II in 243. The accuracy was 1.5 " groups at 100 yards or better. My 243s were most accurate with light weight bullets usually grouping under 1". The trigger on the AXIS is too heavy and can be adjusted by reducing to length of trigger spring. Mine were reduced to 3.5# pull. The Axis II has adjustable trigger. All functioned perfectly. The negative I had was the flexible stock. Grip it too tightly and you put pressure on the bbl. I did not detect any difference in accuracy holding the stock with a tight grip. In theory it should make a difference if stock is putting pressure on bbl. A replacement stock from BOYDS eliminated the flex but then you are in a higher dollar investment. The Axis is fast handling from a tree stand and not too heavy to carry on longer trips thru woods. I found the blueing better than lower priced Remingtons but inferior to Thompson Center Ventures.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.