Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
Latest near death was the lightning strike just yards away from me while deer hunting the high Sierra last Monday. Mother Nature can and will kick ass.

I'm still sh-sh-sh-shook up.

That's a mountain top experience I hope to never have.

Yards away?!! Yikes!

This summer that happen to me, but it was across the yard. I thought that was close. It looked to be the diameter of the trunk. I have no idea how it didn't explode.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Was running late for work one day and made a roast beef sandwich to wolf down while getting dressed and tying up my boots. Took a big hurried bite and swallowed before it was chewed up. Hunk of beef got wedged in my throat. I coughed which caused me to lose air but it was still lodged. Was in serious shape. Vision was starting to pixelate, figured I had one shot. Threw myself against the kitchen counter, kind of like a self-heimlich maneuver. Luckily it worked. Just layed on the kitchen floor for a few minutes. That day at work, nothing bothered me, was just damn glad to be alive. Throat hurt for 2 days, my solar plexus hurt for a week.

Yes!
That's fast thinking.
A person just doesn't know what it's like until it happens to them. Having a plan is the way to go when you are alone and can't breathe.
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. A tough piece of steak started sliding into my lung. I fought the panic as the oxygen was running out. Cough didn't work. Made my way to a chair to do what you did but was able to grab it before I passed out.
If we panicked, that would game over.

Been there done that. It’s scary when the panic sets in !!!

It sounds like this is a more common problem than I ever thought. Im glad first aid training includes several techniques and we're able to talk about it now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got pinned at 13 between a barn wall and a truck backing up with a lowered hayfork. The other 13 year old in the truck didn't see me. The spear hit me about navel level and I sucked my guts in as far as I could. Felt like the dang thing hit my backbone as I tried to get the drivers attention. I got lucky he stopped.

Yup.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,517
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.