Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at a new scope for my Kimber 8400 (30-06, use is mostly backcountry big game). I have several SHVs on other rifles and like them alot. Theyve been through alot of bumps/bruises and I've yet to have a bobble with them.

The Zeiss Conquest V4 was recomended to me by several but of course I dont have one to lay hands on within a reasonable drive. I also trust folks here alot.

Of people that have used both, they say the Zeiss is brighter and has better overall optic qualities. I've never had an issue with the SHV at either end of daylight.

The biggest thing to me is tracking and ruggedness of the scope - can it take the normal bumps of a 'normal' backcountry hunt.

Preferences on either and why?
Any peripheral issues with V4 - eye relief, mounting, turret issues, etc?

Thanks!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can’t speak to the SHV as I’ve never had one. But I’d be confident with the V4 based on the couple I’ve owned

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I can’t speak to the SHV as I’ve never had one. But I’d be confident with the V4 based on the couple I’ve owned

I haven't owned a V4 just what I saw at a not so local dealer but I have owned the 3-10x42 SHV and sold it a few months ago to a poster here. I will not own another although mine gave me no trouble mounted on a Kimber Montana 270WSM. I got rid of it because an almost 1k scope has No RTZ feature . I guess it would have killed NF to offer a mounting tube at least 1/4 of an inch longer . I find it very very hard to believe that the V4 has any tracking issues since even on the vaunted internet there is no mention of it.

Might I add that both are made in Japan and both are heavily constructed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on if the shv you want even has the turret options you need.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the SHV in a 4-14x50 F1. I'd never buy another. The eye relief is very critical which is my biggest peeve. I also don't like the 5 mil/rotation on the turrets. Even the cheaper Vortex offerings have 10 mil/rotation. The scope is also really long and heavy which doesn't work well on a sporter setup. I also have an older Conquest in 6.5-20x50 on a varmint rifle. The Conquest really clear and eye relief is not that critical.

If it were me, I'd have to look at the Conquest.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by devnull
I have the SHV in a 4-14x50 F1. I'd never buy another. The eye relief is very critical which is my biggest peeve. I also don't like the 5 mil/rotation on the turrets. Even the cheaper Vortex offerings have 10 mil/rotation. The scope is also really long and heavy which doesn't work well on a sporter setup. I also have an older Conquest in 6.5-20x50 on a varmint rifle. The Conquest really clear and eye relief is not that critical.

If it were me, I'd have to look at the Conquest.

+1.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own and hunt with both. The SHV F1 is an excellent scope for hard hunting and dialing. Even though it’s a lesser price point than the NXS line, it’s still an excellent scope all the way around.

The Zeiss V4 is less weight, has a crystal clear screen, and a well thought out and simplistic zero stop.

If I thought my typical hunting I’d have a higher than normal potential to hammer my rifle and scope from falls or whoops. I’d buy the NF SHV.

Otherwise, the V4 would be the scope I’d buy.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I own and hunt with both. The SHV F1 is an excellent scope for hard hunting and dialing. Even though it’s a lesser price point than the NXS line, it’s still an excellent scope all the way around.

The Zeiss V4 is less weight, has a crystal clear screen, and a well thought out and simplistic zero stop.

If I thought my typical hunting I’d have a higher than normal potential to hammer my rifle and scope from falls or whoops. I’d buy the NF SHV.

😎

I wish someone would actually cite the number of Zeiss V4 mishaps. I have not seen any. Both these scopes are probably made in the same factory.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

😎

I wish someone would actually cite the number of Zeiss V4 mishaps. I have not seen any. Both these scopes are probably made in the same factory.

Probably won’t find any. I’m pondering the same scopes now too, ziess has stellar reviews from what I’ve seen. 56 mm objectives are dumb, wish they’d 50 mm shv line..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jud - I did the Google fu thing and found zero issues related to tracking on the V4 - but I've never had one n my hands. A poster on my other thread said he's had both and the V4 feels "cheap". I did see a few negative comments on the polymer/plastic turret caps. I'm not why a company would ever use polymer/plastic...........

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that, the polymer caps don’t spook me. Wanna feel “cheap”, grab a hold of a swfa ss, they felt “cheap” to me.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Judman

😎

Probably won’t find any. I’m pondering the same scopes now too, ziess has stellar reviews from what I’ve seen. 56 mm objectives are dumb, wish they’d 50 mm shv line..

Completely agree, 56mm is dumb.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm tempted to buy the V4, see what I think, and send it back if I don't like it.

Maybe "we" should buy one and pass it around the 'Fire for testing......

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
You can get a 50mm SHV in the F1 models.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
50mm objectives are not my thing and raise the scope too high for me to deal with on a standard hunting rifle.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm tempted to buy the V4, see what I think, and send it back if I don't like it.

Maybe "we" should buy one and pass it around the 'Fire for testing......

Ain’t but one way to find out...grin....

Last edited by joshf303; 08/24/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Your comments make me more than a bit nervous............... eek

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by aheider
Originally Posted by Judman

😎

Completely agree, 56mm is dumb.

Agreed. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by timl
You can get a 50mm SHV in the F1 models.

Just the 4.5-14, never seen the 5.5-20 listed with a 50mm. Am I missing it. Love the forceplex but not enough to suffer the 56mm

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
That’s right; didn’t realize the discussion was about the 5-20 SHV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (222Sako, 219DW, 219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.