Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jdb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I was at the lgs and they had a model 70 in 7mm wsm at what seems like a good deal. I know very little about model 70’s, this one has a plastic type stock, it doesn’t have a hinged floor plate. The floor plate has screws that seem to hold it shut? The bore looks great and I’m thinking about buying this and adding a b&c stock (medalist maybe?), trigger was good but if an aftermarket is available I might go that route. Any input would be much appreciated

HR IC

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a M70 black shadow. How much were they asking? If replacing the factory stock you would need to purchase bottom metal also. The trigger should be the old style not an MOA.

J
jdb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
They want $350 but they’ve had it a long time. I think I could get it substantially less

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gonna start at the start here. Do you handload? 7 WSM isn't that hard to get if you're buying it online, it is a bit spendy, though. Finding it in a brick and mortar is very catch as catch can, though. The last time I came across it was in the stupidly excellent gun shop in Augie Derleth's old stomping grounds. I bought it more for the novelty of actually being able to purchase it in person than anything else.

J
jdb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I’m thinking I’ll pass on this and buy a Remington model 7 instead

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jdb

I had one put it in a featherweight stock with bottom metal from Winchester. IT was a CRPF model. I wouldn[t even look at a Remington model 7 .

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jdb

I would probably pass on both.
What are your intended uses, needs, and desires? The Campfire would be happy to help you spend your money! laugh

J
jdb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
So why pass on the model 7? I’m looking for a lite weight compact deer rifle. I know the wsm didn’t really fill that niche but it was cheap so...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jdb
So why pass on the model 7? I’m looking for a lite weight compact deer rifle. I know the wsm didn’t really fill that niche but it was cheap so...

I'd pass on the 7 based on Remington's 700 being a better choice when it comes to initial model selection and aftermarket support. That's assuming I'd buy a Remington bolt action not based on an M1917 or '03 receiver (short answer, yes).That out of the way, you're spoilt for choice in this category. Make with a bunch more requirements and us nice people on the 'fire will gladly help you spend money on a rifle. Now if you're looking for optics advice, that's a whole different can of worms.

J
jdb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I’m looking for a compact light weight rifle too hunt medium game with. I also want to have my hand in putting it together. I want something very similar to the Remington American hunter rifle but I want not in 6.5 Creedmoor. My original plan was a 700 compact in 7mm08, b&c Alaskan ti stock, tally extra lows, Leupold vx3i 2.5x8, and a timney trigger. Then I found the model 70 at a good price and a model seven at a decent price. I’m open to suggestions

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would buy the 70, find a McMillan Edge or Classic and then send it to Redneck and have him perform his magic on it.

Or PM the name of the Gunshop and I will buy it and perform the above.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
J
jdb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Pm sent

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Darryle
I would buy the 70, find a McMillan Edge or Classic and then send it to Redneck and have him perform his magic on it.

Or PM the name of the Gunshop and I will buy it and perform the above.

That seems like a long walk for a short slide. You’re still saddled with a crpf M70 in a chambering that is more than you need and not strongly supported with factory ammo.

You could save yourself a lot of hassle if you are wanting a Remington and go the route linked below. I know you said you weren’t wanting 6.5, but maybe you should reconsider? It is ideal for your needs with more widely available factory offerings. Furthermore, this one is twisted right for the chambering and the Creed gives you more leeway with the 2.8” Remington sa box. You could have your hand in “making it” by replacing the trigger with a Timney, or even better yet; a triggertech.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877285849

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jdb
I’m looking for a lite weight compact deer rifle.

I'd buy this....... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-classic-compact-in-308-win#Post15151531

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchester70
Originally Posted by jdb

I'd buy this....... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-classic-compact-in-308-win#Post15151531

Id buy a model 70 before i ever thought about buying a Remington. Nuff said

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have Remington rifles anymore. Anyone who doesn't come up with a safe trigger in 70 years does not deserve my business. And I do like the Model 7. The Predator version was my favorite.

Kimbers and Winchester 70, maybe Ruger 77, and CZ 550, are what interest me now.

The Model 70 trigger would be easy to adjust. I ordered trigger wrenches from Brownells that made the job easy on my 375.

Last edited by AB2506; 08/23/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
WTF are trigger wrenches? How do they differ from a 1/4 inch wrench from Canadian Tire? GD
PS, I'd buy a Kimber in 308.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greydog
WTF are trigger wrenches? How do they differ from a 1/4 inch wrench from Canadian Tire? GD
PS, I'd buy a Kimber in 308.

They are probably just thin 1/4" open end box end wrenches. Maybe they are hard to find in his area? It doesn't take any special wrench, but hey at least give the guy some credit for wanting to try to adjust it himself. Some guys won't even do that. They would rather have someone else wipe their own azz too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by jdb

We know, we know. Ford versus Chevy, and you’re a Chevy guy. And you would shoot 10 shot groups with it all day long - even if it were 338wm.
Me, I like them all. Ford, Chevy, Volvo, Benz, BMW, Tesla. No distinct brand loyalty. I certainly like Winchesters, but there are a few Remingtons that I also like very well. In this particular instance this may be a Chevy - but it’s a Chevette - not a Yukon. And in this example, I’d prefer a Ford Explorer - or something else.
😉

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by jdb

We know, we know. Ford versus Chevy, and you’re a Chevy guy. And you would shoot 10 shot groups with it all day long - even if it were 338wm.
Me, I like them all. Ford, Chevy, Volvo, Benz, BMW, Tesla. No distinct brand loyalty. I certainly like Winchesters, but there are a few Remingtons that I also like very well. In this particular instance this may be a Chevy - but it’s a Chevette - not a Yukon. And in this example, I’d prefer a Ford Explorer - or something else.
😉

Haha

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, arky65, afisher, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.