Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
99% of starter problems on those old Chevys is the Solenoid. Either the disc as mentioned before is corroded from arcing or the positive cable stud that touches the disc is worn to a minimum/no contact with the disc or the stud that connects to the starter strap is shot. There is a reason they sold rebuild kits for them, as it was common and easily fixed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yes sir.
It seems to always be the solenoid.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Brother_Bill
Originally Posted by slumlord
Youre the moron with a pos starter

Tell me how it can be a starter issue when it started just fine having bypassed the ignition and the NSS dickkhead.

Seriously.

Think before you type.

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Go fix it...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do people even read threads anymore before replying? I mean seriously.

Check the ground.
Clean the cables.
Tap the starter.
Heat soak.
Use a effing hammer.

The car started just fine bypassing the NSS and the ignition switch, using the bump starter; that unequivocally eliminates all of the above.

Stop. Read. Think. Reply.

The concept is pretty effing simple.

Its like I'm playing cards with my brothers kids or somthin; you nerve wracking son's of bitches.....

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by slumlord
Youre the moron with a pos starter

Tell how it can be a starter issue when it started just fine having bypassed the ignition and the NSS dickkhead.

Seriously.

Think before you type.

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Go fix it...

Simple, not only did you bypass the switch and NSS you also bypassed that little disc in the solenoid and put battery power directly to the starter.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Check the ground.
Clean the cables.
Tap the starter.
Heat soak.
Use a effing hammer.

The car started just fine bypassing the NSS and the ignition switch, using the bump starter; that unequivocally eliminates all of the above.

Its like I'm playing cards with my brothers kids or somthin; you nerve wracking son's of bitches.....

Did you check the ground and hit it with a hammer?

Try unplugging it and then plug it back in. If that doesn’t work cut the red wire, that always works.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ironbender

Check the ground.
Clean the cables.
Tap the starter.
Heat soak.
Use a effing hammer.

Wait. Dave's got kids?
grin

Is Mom still paying the child support? LOL, Really loud.

For those with a short memory, or short tenure, referencing a classic joke thread from many years ago.
And, yes, I know it ain't funny to those in need of an explanation.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
'69 Chevelle. 3 speed auto transmission (horseshoe on the floor).

Went to dinner and all was well. Turned the ignition to go home and nothing. Radio and lights work, but it wouldn't even "click" to turn over. I installed a stud off the starter to use a bump starter when setting zero lash, and managed to use the bump starter to get her running to get home.

Neutral safety switch wires all seem to be well connected. I have not jacked the font end up to look at the starter wires yet.

What all should I be checking to try and determine if it is the NSS, the ignition switch or the starter solenoid wiring?

thanks.
...................1st.....Check battery itself and the terminal connections on the battery. If all good then check connections to starter as well as wire from battery to the starter......Sounds like a short to me.....An electrical shop to trace the problem might save you from a fishing expedition.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Bill, you said it's a 69. Does it have a starter relay on the inner fender?

If so, that is where I would start my diagnostics. It is easy to get to, a likely culprit, cheap and easy to replace.

Grab a volt meter and have a helper hit the starter switch. Check for current coming into and out of the relay.

No power into the relay, continue troubleshooting toward the ignition switch.

Power into the relay, but no power out, easy fix.

Power out of the relay, trouble shoot your wiring to the solenoid. You already know the solenoid is good, it started with the remote starter switch.

And yes, the nuetral safety switch may well be your culprit. I have only dealt with manual trans, or else found the trouble to be the relay on my auto trans vehicles.

Good luck.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You ask for help, them ridicule those who try to offer help. Sweet!

It sounds like the starter and battery are good. That leaves the ignition switch, solenoid, or shifter safety switch.

It ain’t that hard.

Last edited by gregintenn; 08/22/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gee, this brings back "fond" memories of changing a starter in the family '78 Chevy during the summertime in Phoenix. The front suspension limited removing the starter to one vertical position through or by the a-arm. This was discovered after much trial and error.

Naturally, the starter and connections were covered in a thick combination of dirt and oil, and were hot, even in the early morning. All the work was by touch and feel, the car jacked up on jack stands, wooden blocks and a jack for safety. If I remember correctly, the two nuts on the small wire connections to the solenoid were different sizes. Reach up, feel.around, wipe greasy dirt off the connection and try to get a wrench on.

Once everything was was off and out, wash grease off of hands and arms with gojo. Clean the mating surfaces and wires as best as possible, then install the new starter. Hold it with one hand and install the bolts with the other. Then,getting those small solenoid wires and nuts on by feel. The shop manual discussed swimming the starter for the correct spacing with the flywheel. No way to do it. Just stick her in.

We had used cars for years, and it seems I was working on them just about every weekend. Ford starters were much easier than Chevys, Chevy water pumps much easier than Fords. Chevy also had that nice window in the distributor cap to adjust the points.

Didn't mind working on cars back then. Grew up helping my dad work on the family cars and his antique cars. Nowadays am grateful for the.relatively maintenance-free vehicles and let the dealer handle most issues.

Sorry about the rambling, your post brought back memories/nightmares!

Some great advice has been provided in this thread, follow it and you will get her fixed.

Old guy, old guns.
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Leave the starter alone, all you have to do is drop the auto tranny out, and put in a manual tranny. That way you can coast start it. Always park on a hill!!
Sorry, hope you find the problem. Had a 1984 Corvette that had the heat soak problem. Drive it somewhere, shut it off , then wait 2 or 3 hours before it would start again.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
99% of starter problems on those old Chevys is the Solenoid. Either the disc as mentioned before is corroded from arcing or the positive cable stud that touches the disc is worn to a minimum/no contact with the disc or the stud that connects to the starter strap is shot. There is a reason they sold rebuild kits for them, as it was common and easily fixed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yes sir.
It seems to always be the solenoid.

I always carried a spare, ph uck I became the starter king when it came to pullIng a starter on the chevy’s. One hand holding other with a wrench. I remember one time I thought I positioned the starter just right to rest on my front driveline ph uck that thing slipped hit me in the head ph uck that hurt. Then I joined the Army as a light wheel mechanic guess what I got to use my skill as the starter king on them damn [bleep] starters on the hmmv. Ph ucking starters

Last edited by 79S; 08/22/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your problem is something vibrated loose between home and the dinner place.

Starter is somewhere next to the flywheel.

Maybe you have a fuel leak since after you asked and got a bunch of replies you shot flames out of the air intake.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when rehabing this, did the engine come out? if so, was the body ground from the bellhousing to the trans tunnel get reinstalled? if you didn't have the motor out, did the previous owner? that being said, i'm banking on the solenoid. used to replace them all the time. by the way, if the engine isn't stock, installing 6v battery cables is
usually a good idea. good luck!

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The heat soak thing is usually due to a weak solenoid, a bunch of gunk in the starter &/or worn brushes.

Somebody also said, big block. But he worst heat related prob is Headers, freakin headers. They sound great, even closed, make confirmed power. But the sum bucks are always causing a problem or 2 or 5.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
99% of starter problems on those old Chevys is the Solenoid.

This^^

It's usually the solenoid. Same thing with the older Fords. Chevy makes it a bit harder since the solenoid is on the starter, the Fords had them mounted on the inside of the fender behind the battery. When they'd go out you could start the car by taking two screwdrivers and jumping the solenoid.

It's easy enough to trace down with a multimeter and a helper but to tell the truth I'd just go pay the $20 bucks for a new solenoid and replace it, it's most likely your problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys, relax. He’s got this. He has personally touched 75% of the nuts and bolts in this car. One things for certain, it must be in the 25% he hasn’t yet touched, because I bet the rest is perfect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Two things:

1. I've no mechanical abilities at all, but I just wanted to say "hi" and say that I am glad to see you are well.

2. I immediately caught the Billy Bob Thornton quote from Tombstone. It's one of my favorite movies.

Take Care!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,477
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.