Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hate to ask this question because I think I know the answer.................

Has the Leupold ability to accurately track gotten any better in recent years with advent of the VX 5 and 6 line?

I have 1 VX3 3x9 with B&C reticle that has been solid for many rounds. It is a set/forget scope and has proven it can do that. It is the scope on the 8400 that I'm trying to replace with a dialable scope.

I really want to believe Leupold has its tracking issues straightened out but have personally witnessed more than a few that haven't, all VX 3i.

As you can tell by my recent posts I'm looking at scope alternatives for a Kimber 8400. It has a longish mounting length and I need a scope mounted low. I'm also looking at rail options but am still finding they leave the scope mounted to high for me. 30mm Talley lightweight lows are perfect for me and that rifle. So, I'm trying to find a quality scope to match that setup.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have two 3-15x44's that have tracked and RTZ just fine. I have a third coming tomorrow, I ain't scared......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 2-10X42 that has been very reliable, but I do have to add that it has not seen the use my other rifles have.

The few times I've run it through its paces, it has performed well.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
They will until they won't, how much it matters all depends on where you are a what your doing at the time. I don't think one could reliably say that they would track reliably indefinitely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
I hate to ask this question because I think I know the answer.................

Has the Leupold ability to accurately track gotten any better in recent years with advent of the VX 5 and 6 line?

I have 1 VX3 3x9 with B&C reticle that has been solid for many rounds. It is a set/forget scope and has proven it can do that. It is the scope on the 8400 that I'm trying to replace with a dialable scope.

I really want to believe Leupold has its tracking issues straightened out but have personally witnessed more than a few that haven't, all VX 3i.

As you can tell by my recent posts I'm looking at scope alternatives for a Kimber 8400. It has a longish mounting length and I need a scope mounted low. I'm also looking at rail options but am still finding they leave the scope mounted to high for me. 30mm Talley lightweight lows are perfect for me and that rifle. So, I'm trying to find a quality scope to match that setup.

Thanks.

I have not used the VX-5 much but suspect it tracks just as well as the VX-6 and VX-3.

I have zero problems with lots of VX-6s and VX-3s.

If you have problems with the VX-3 then Leupold probably is not the brand for you.

Originally Posted by overmax
They will until they won't, how much it matters all depends on where you are a what your doing at the time. I don't think one could reliably say that they would track reliably indefinitely.

LOL.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 08/23/20.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BWinters I would love to know which scope you choose. I have a Kimber Montana in 280Ai that I would like to make a 600 yard gun. I don’t reload so it’s factory Noslers for me. This is strictly a hunting gun.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have that exact rifle. Mine currently wears a Burris Veracity. I bought the Burris when I was toying with dialing. I've had really good luck with Burris scopes through the years so started with that one. It has tracked well and been reliable. I'm toying with moving it to my 8400 and buying a NF SHV for the 280 AI.

Since you asked me, I'd put a NF SHV on your 280 because that's likely what I'm going to do. But...... I dabble in LR shooting and come here for the collective wisdom of those that do alot more LR shooting than I. Some of these guys know their LR gear and tactics. Pay attention to them instead of me grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I understand and do the same😎. The only thing that concerns me about the NF is the weight. I use this gun mainly in the steep mountains of Idaho. My rifle at present carries an older Leupold and it has never let me down. I would however like something that would give me a little more confidence to shoot farther and narrow any guess work on my part.

I have always been able to get close to what I shoot at but as I get older and my knee gets worse I need options...😁

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One of the things I've done with these heavier scopoes - and I'm about to commit blasphemy and get flamed here - is add a bit of weight to rifles to calm down recoil. I've owned a bunch of sub 7lb rifles in 300 WSM, 30-06, 300 SAUM, 7 WSM, and 7 RM. 160/180 gr bullets moving fast creates recoil in a sub 7lb rifle that I dont care for. I decided a few years ago, I was done with lightweight rifles with the potential to recoil. I'm apparently a wuss which is OK. I somehow manage to kill an elk or 2 most years and several deer a year. My Kimber 280 with Talley LW and the Veracity weighs 7lbs 1oz. I wish it weighed closer to 7.5 lbs.......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll also post this which will amuse some, I have an SHV on my Kimber MT 308. It still weighs around 6.5 lbs. I really like the way it feels, points, and shoots. A bunch of deer and at least 1 elk dont care much for it.

At the end of the day, I quit sweating ounces on my backcountry trips. I dont own the lightest anything - pack, rifle, boots, etc. My pack fully loaded with gun weighs a shade less than 40 lbs, depending how much water I have. Is 35-36-37-38-39 lbs gonna make or break a hunt? Maybe for some but not me. I value reliability over weight.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you. That’s great information. Good luck this year.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by bwinters
One of the things I've done with these heavier scopoes - and I'm about to commit blasphemy and get flamed here - is add a bit of weight to rifles to calm down recoil. I've owned a bunch of sub 7lb rifles in 300 WSM, 30-06, 300 SAUM, 7 WSM, and 7 RM. 160/180 gr bullets moving fast creates recoil in a sub 7lb rifle that I dont care for. I decided a few years ago, I was done with lightweight rifles with the potential to recoil. I'm apparently a wuss which is OK. I somehow manage to kill an elk or 2 most years and several deer a year. My Kimber 280 with Talley LW and the Veracity weighs 7lbs 1oz. I wish it weighed closer to 7.5 lbs.......

I agree entirely. I think 7.5lbs scope is about ideal for shoot ability and portability. I’m likely to get flamed for heresy, but I find it takes more concentration to get the light rifles to shoot to their ability (I think it’s easier to have a trigger squeeze impact aim, and that the lighter weight requires greater consistency in how the rifle is held during recoil).

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I find I don't shoot flyweight rifles all that well from field positions, especially off hand. I agree with you on 7.5lbs is ideal, at least for me. I'll run a few extra miles in the off season to carry that extra 6-7 oz.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Which SHV? I have looked at a few. Going back to Scheels to look at them again when archery season is over.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
3-10x42 covers most of what I do.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have the VX5 2x10x42 on my 25.06 and my daughter has the same on her 260. We don't do alot of dailing but the times that we have we haven't had any issues what so ever with tracking. Both have tracked well, reliable and consistent and the glass is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My VX 3’s work fine.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The one thing about the SHV that perturbs me is the caped turrets .
If I’m going to dial I don’t want to deal with caps .
Anyone else have a problem with this ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
My VX 3’s work fine.

VX5s and VX6s are pretty similar if you mount them to solid accurate rifles.

Funny how that works. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.