Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I began deer hunting in 1972 and handloading in 1974. Since that time the 257 Rob has NOT been the premier deer cal/cartridge. As a matter of fact it was many years before I ever heard of the 257 Rob.

I have NOTHING against it. I never heard of the 6.5X55 for even longer yet I have one, so.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
No. I personally know of one guy that hunted with one. He didn't use it long either.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've never even see a 257 Robert's and never had a desire to own one. I think there are better 25 cal cartridges, of course that's nothing more than opinion. Consider when it was brought out if it had been called the 257 Win or 257 Rem? I wonder if the 25-06 Rem would have ever showed up? Average hunter's I don't believe make or break a cartridge, they use what they can get and buy into BS! Shooting fanatic's, reloader's make and break cartridge's. We have very prejudice opinion's on most thing's shooting. I think had the 257 Robert's been called 257 Win or Rem it would have had a better chance, heck the average hunter didn't have a clue who Ned Robert's was! What could he know?

Actually I would not consider a 257 Robert's for no other reason than I think the case might be a bit to long to seat a bullet I'd use out near the lands, no other reason! Shoot, had a 6mm Rem and that drove me crazy. Of course on the other side of it, it still killed deer very dead! I do believe pretty much everything in the shooting world is based on whim and what outdoor writers say and their opinions are also pretty much based on whim. When the 257 came about, hunters used 30-30's, 30-06's and 30-40 Krags, lever action and war surplus rifles!

I just read back over this and I mentioned the 25-06. had it been called the 25 Rem would it have made it or did it make it because it was called an 06 after the case it was made from?

Last edited by DonFischer; 08/24/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Brad
The Roberts is something that should be wrapped in wood and blued steel... a nostalgic round for a nostalgic platform. Something to enjoy on a glorious fall day.

For hard duty I’ll take something less sentimental and more practical. Pass the 6.5 CM in stainless and fiberglass laugh

Generally I'd agree and understand your sentiment.

But, then what ya gonna do with one like this, wearing a Brux that shoots itty bitty groups...?

blush

grin

DF

The picture messed up the color, turned sorta brownish on the edges. It's a McM Hunters Edge, Flat Dark Earth with Olive specks. True color looks more like center area of the second photo

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Man, I love that gun.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
paul , you would like my 257 Roberts i had rebarreled this spring = Remington 30 Express with a 25 inch -7 1/2 twist s.s. Brux barrel ,shoots great .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
paul , you would like my 257 Roberts i had rebarreled this spring = Remington 30 Express with a 25 inch -7 1/2 twist s.s. Brux barrel ,shoots great .

Pics?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All this has me ordering some Hammer 98 grain Shock Hammers for my Blacktail hunt . My pretty Bob Kimber Classic loves the GS Custom HV 100's over a max load of Hybrid 100V. Maybe the 98's will shoot likewise.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Any terminal performance reports on the 98 gr Hammer or GS HV 100's?

H-100V is a very fast .257R powder. May not be the most temp stable but is accurate in my rifle.

I've posted this target several times. The rifle is the Brux barreled 700 pictured earlier.

The 100 TTSX is an effective deer killer, especially when you put some speed behind it. Was curious how it stacks up against the above bullets.

Note COAL is not for a SA. My Roberts is a LA.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by BigNate
I have used my M77 in .257 Roberts for everything from ground squirrels to elk. Premier? As in top performer? Maybe, but it's never been the top selling cartridge.

The .257 Roberts suffered from the low pressure rating and slow twist barrels. It has every bit of potential of many mid size cartridges. Loaded to modern pressures in modern rifles it is a stellar choice for an all around gun. Jack O' was the reason I bought mine. He's famous for the .270, but when I was young I did a lot of reading of Outdoor Life and Rifleman and his comments on it's usefulness sealed the deal. I had a .30-30 and as it was my only gun I used it for everything. I had an intimate understanding of making due. When I ran across articles on the Roberts and read how well it worked as both varmint and big game cartridge I was sure I needed to get one. Layne Simpson wrote an article that focused on choices for a do-all limited rifle battery and it struck a chord with me. His conclusion was that a two rifle battery consisting of a .257 Roberts and a .338 Win Mag would cover everything and not leave one short of performance. When I joined the Navy one of my first real purchases was a matching pair of Ruger M77's one in .257 Roberts & one in .338WM. That was a long time ago and I still have both and still use both religiously.

My Roberts has proven itself harvesting fur, filling the freezer, and putting an end to many pests. It has been used by family members to take many first deer, been in many family hunts, and used for truck loads of coyotes. Ned Roberts' darling would have made the introduction of the .243 & 6mm Rem non-existent had it been introduced with the same fanfare as bigger companies or anything being introduced today by Hornady. Hornady has successfully introduced "new" cartridges that duplicate existing flops and they're suddenly the bee's knees. Marketing was the reason the Roberts wasn't more popular. Those that know what it is capable of understand.

I've never heard about factory built rifles in 257 Roberts having slow ROT barrels. Which ones had slow ROT barrels and what was that slow ROT?

I'm not sure who, but I believe Remingtons' early vision of the Roberts was using an 87gr bullet, much like the .250-3000. It was rated for old conversion rifles as far as pressures go which didn't help either. In fact, Winchester recognized this folly and made sure the .243 was hyped as more of a medium big game cartridge.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had one of the 1982 Remington Classic rifles in .257 Roberts. I shot the heck out of it and found various 120 grain bullets to be the most accurate. I only hunted with it one year in Wyoming. During the 10 years I hunted there I used to take a different rifle each year. After 10 or 15 years a fellow gun club member wanted it and I sold it to him. I believe he still has it.

I only remember other club members owning a couple of .257 Ackley Improved rifles so, no, I don't believe it was ever a popular cartridge here in southern Ontario.

Jim

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used my M77 in .257 Roberts for everything from ground squirrels to elk. Premier? As in top performer? Maybe, but it's never been the top selling cartridge.

The .257 Roberts suffered from the low pressure rating and slow twist barrels. It has every bit of potential of many mid size cartridges. Loaded to modern pressures in modern rifles it is a stellar choice for an all around gun. Jack O' was the reason I bought mine. He's famous for the .270, but when I was young I did a lot of reading of Outdoor Life and Rifleman and his comments on it's usefulness sealed the deal. I had a .30-30 and as it was my only gun I used it for everything. I had an intimate understanding of making due. When I ran across articles on the Roberts and read how well it worked as both varmint and big game cartridge I was sure I needed to get one. Layne Simpson wrote an article that focused on choices for a do-all limited rifle battery and it struck a chord with me. His conclusion was that a two rifle battery consisting of a .257 Roberts and a .338 Win Mag would cover everything and not leave one short of performance. When I joined the Navy one of my first real purchases was a matching pair of Ruger M77's one in .257 Roberts & one in .338WM. That was a long time ago and I still have both and still use both religiously.

My Roberts has proven itself harvesting fur, filling the freezer, and putting an end to many pests. It has been used by family members to take many first deer, been in many family hunts, and used for truck loads of coyotes. Ned Roberts' darling would have made the introduction of the .243 & 6mm Rem non-existent had it been introduced with the same fanfare as bigger companies or anything being introduced today by Hornady. Hornady has successfully introduced "new" cartridges that duplicate existing flops and they're suddenly the bee's knees. Marketing was the reason the Roberts wasn't more popular. Those that know what it is capable of understand.

I've never heard about factory built rifles in 257 Roberts having slow ROT barrels. Which ones had slow ROT barrels and what was that slow ROT?

I'm not sure who, but I believe Remingtons' early vision of the Roberts was using an 87gr bullet, much like the .250-3000. It was rated for old conversion rifles as far as pressures go which didn't help either. In fact, Winchester recognized this folly and made sure the .243 was hyped as more of a medium big game cartridge.

Back in the early 1980's I bought all of the 257 Roberts Winchester/Olin factory ammo that the Outdoor Recreation Center at Fort Riely, KS, had for a couple of dollars per box. That white box ammo had 87, 100, and 117 grain bullets. I bought that ammo to feed a Ruger 77R that I bought from Pat's Pawn & Gun in Ogden, KS, but decided that I needed to reload 75 grain Sierra for shooting coyotes and 90 grain Sierra for shooting deer, so I've had most of that ammo packed away for nearly 40 years.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Back in the early 1980's I bought all of the 257 Roberts Winchester/Olin factory ammo that the Outdoor Recreation Center at Fort Riely, KS, had for a couple of dollars per box. That white box ammo had 87, 100, and 117 grain bullets. I bought that ammo to feed a Ruger 77R that I bought from Pat's Pawn & Gun in Ogden, KS, but decided that I needed to reload 75 grain Sierra for shooting coyotes and 90 grain Sierra for shooting deer, so I've had most of that ammo packed away for nearly 40 years.

I'd love to see your armory brother!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Sometimes it takes a week or more to find something that I've squirreled away. I've even found guns that I bought at yard sales and didn't print a retail purchase sheet for my records, so finding them was like seeing them for the first time.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Premier? Probably not.

But definitely one of my all time favorite rounds.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Roberts was designed for woodchucks initially. It is one that a couple of people came up with similar cartridges simultaneously.

A great old country store in Stonewall Tx. Weinhiemer & Son always carries at least a couple of boxes of 257 Ammo. I go and check each time I go there and for some reason it is comforting to see. Only thing now it is right next to the 6.5 CM but times do change.

You see the Roberts used by ranchers, old timers and the cognoscenti around here. The younger generations are more likely to go for the 257AI. But the Creedmoor will probably take it's place. Me I went metric with the 6mm and 6AI and with a 25-06 and 257 Weatherby I probably won't be getting a Roberts any time soon, but you never know. It is a Classic if not "The Premiere" White Tail cartridge.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
The Roberts was designed for woodchucks initially. It is one that a couple of people came up with similar cartridges simultaneously.

A great old country store in Stonewall Tx. Weinhiemer & Son always carries at least a couple of boxes of 257 Ammo. I go and check each time I go there and for some reason it is comforting to see. Only thing now it is right next to the 6.5 CM but times do change.

You see the Roberts used by ranchers, old timers and the cognoscenti around here. The younger generations are more likely to go for the 257AI. But the Creedmoor will probably take it's place. Me I went metric with the 6mm and 6AI and with a 25-06 and 257 Weatherby I probably won't be getting a Roberts any time soon, but you never know. It is a Classic if not "The Premiere" White Tail cartridge.

Spoken like a true Loony.

Never say never.

One thing about the old Roberts, those of us who have them seem pretty fond of them...

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tejano

For years my FIL carried a pre-'64 Model 70 in 257 Roberts in the rear window rack of his pickup. When my Wife and I moved to Nebraska in 1990 I got him to replace the Winchester 70 in 257 Roberts with a Savage 110 in 243. Shortly after he made the switch, someone stole the Savage out of his truck, out of the same rack that the Winchester 70 had ridden for years.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The 30-06 always was and will be the premier deer cartridge.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hanco
The 30-06 always was and will be the premier deer cartridge.

yes your right 30-06 will always be the number # 1 cartridge,but many of us hand loading loonies will continue to use other cartridges just because we can. as an older person the 257 Roberts cartridge for me brings back some great old memories of many old friends, so when i was a kid i always wanted a 257 Roberts so now i have a few .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Sometimes it takes a week or more to find something that I've squirreled away. I've even found guns that I bought at yard sales and didn't print a retail purchase sheet for my records, so finding them was like seeing them for the first time.

I truly laughed at that. I had an uncle who was that way. Looking under beds in his house was like a treasure hunt.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.