Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frogs Forever

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
He used bravery, a sense of decency, and common sense to rid us of evil. He should have known that never goes well with most politicians. That situation sounds like something that could happen today with Antifa and BLM.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
As a former Marine Corps Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight Helicopter pilot, this is a story that unfolded just over seven months after the beginning of my Marine Corps career as a 60/81mm mortarman. Little did I know I would eventually fly the old "double bladed crowd killer" in the Fleet Marine Force after I got my commision and earned my wings as a new 1st Lt of Marines.

clic pic for story
[Linked Image from images01.military.com]
Retired Lt. Gen. Charles “Chuck” Pitman Sr. 1935-2020

19 Feb 2020
We Are The Mighty | By Joslin Joseph

Lt. General Charles "Chuck" Pitman passed away this past Thursday at age 84. His career spanned over 40 years, including three combat tours in Vietnam. He also was involved in Operation Eagle Claw, the attempted rescue of the American hostages in Tehran in 1980. He commanded an Air Wing and was the Deputy Chief of Staff for Marine Corps Aviation. He earned the Silver Star, four Distinguished Flying Crosses, a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart. But for all his achievements in uniform, Pitman is better known for ignoring military protocol and breaking a bunch of regulations so he could save lives.

That was the thought process of then, Lieutenant Colonel Pitman. On Jan. 7, 1973, Pitman was the commander of the Marine Air Reserve Training in Louisiana. Pitman had turned on the television to see a horrible scene unfolding. A gunman had taken position on top of a hotel and was shooting and killing police officers. The sniper had a full view of all on comers, and any attempt to enter the hotel was met with murderous gunfire.

Pitman didn't even think twice about asking permission to help. He grabbed another pilot and two crew members and jumped in a CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter and headed toward New Orleans.

The incident Pitman was flying into actually started several days earlier on New Year's Eve. Mark Essex was a Navy vet who had been kicked out due to behavior issues. He had ended up in New Orleans, where he fell in with radical groups. One of those groups was the Black Panthers. Essex had grown angrier over time with what he perceived to be injustices he faced in the Navy and now as a civilian. After learning of a civil rights protest in which two students from Southern University were killed by police, Essex lost it.

He went to New Orleans police headquarters, where he shot and killed an African American cadet; shooting him from behind. He then fled and tried to break into a warehouse. When police arrived, unaware that he was linked to the shooting at HQ, Essex ambushed them, mortally wounding one. By the time backup arrived, he had vanished into the night.

On Jan. 7, Essex reappeared, and entered a Howard Johnson hotel in downtown New Orleans. As he made his way to the roof, he murdered a newlywed couple and the hotel's manager and assistant manager. He then set fires in several rooms and made his way to the roof.

Essex had set an ambush. The shooting and fires would draw first responders to the scene. Then he would carry out his horrible plan to kill more cops.

As the police and firefighters arrived, they attempted to enter the hotel. Essex killed three police officers and wounded several more. He was able to pin down anyone that attempted to move toward the hotel and was completely concealed from return fire by concrete barriers on the roof.

By this time, the TV cameras had shown up. Broadcasting over the airwaves, they told viewers of the horrible situation unfolding in downtown New Orleans.

One of the viewers was Lt. Colonel Pitman.

Pitman flew the CH-46 toward the hotel without any idea what he was actually going to do. He just knew he had to do something. When he arrived on site, Pitman located an empty parking lot next to the hotel. He landed, headed to the command center, and quickly became apprised of the situation. The cops on the scene sought his advice, and his years of service in Vietnam kicked in. Essex had the high ground, so Pittman would go higher.

[Linked Image from assets.rebelmouse.io]
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission."

He put several New Orleans police officers on the helicopter and took off. He started flying passes over the roof of the hotel, slowing down and turning so that the police could get a good shot. They could not. Essex would take shots at the aircraft from afar but would take cover the minute they closed in. Pitman noticed this and kept making passes to lure Essex into thinking this was his routine. Finally, after one pass, he turned immediately around and caught Essex in the open. The police in the helicopter unloaded on the sniper.

When all was said and done, Essex was found with over 200 rounds in his body.

Pitman was lauded as a hero by the police and citizens of New Orleans and just about everybody...except the United States Marine Corps.

It turns out that Pitman (kind of… sort of) violated a few rules and regulations when he took the helicopter. He wasn't allowed to use military personnel or aircraft for anything other than a rescue mission (like evacuating flood victims).

You would think that the Marine Corps would look at the badassery that Pitman just pulled off and call it a public relations coup. But, they didn't (of course) and started the process of a court-martial.

It was only due to the intervention of Democratic Congressman and House Armed Services Committee Chairman Edward Herbert that the issue was dropped.

Pitman would continue his amazing career, retiring in 1990 as a Lt. General.

Lt. General Pitman, rest easy, and Semper Fidelis.

[Linked Image from military-today.com]

This is very easy to sum up.

"There goes a man".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I hope none of the BLMers read this thread, for two reasons: one, I don't want any of them adopting the tactics of Mark Essex because, two: I'm not sure we have any Chuck Pittmans around to do what would need to be done. RIP, sir.

BTW, the police officers who took off with Pittman in New Orleans also deserve a ton of credit; they weren't exactly following protocol either.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I hope none of the BLMers read this thread, for two reasons: one, I don't want any of them adopting the tactics of Mark Essex because, two: I'm not sure we have any Chuck Pittmans around to do what would need to be done. RIP, sir.

BTW, the police officers who took off with Pittman in New Orleans also deserve a ton of credit; they weren't exactly following protocol either.

We could have a guy like Digital Dan at the controls and somebody like Gunner500 as door gunner.

We have others too... :-)

Respect for Chuck Pittman, now that was a man!

John

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Trust me, after seeing our young guys in action in Iraq, we have plenty of Chuck Pittmans around. But we also have many more admin types, too. Goes with the job. Some things never change.
Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had the pleasure of briefing the General on several occasions when he was DCS Air.. Great sense of humor, tough guy..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RGK

Trust me, after seeing our young guys in action in Iraq, we have plenty of Chuck Pittmans around. But we also have many more admin types, too. Goes with the job. Some things never change.
Bob

I didn't mean that we didn't have guys with the skills, but would any of them take the initiative and buck protocol the way Pittman did? I would like to think so, but, like I said, I'm not sure. The way things are headed, there may be plenty of opportunity to find out.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[quote=RGK] . . .
I didn't mean that we didn't have guys with the skills, but would any of them take the initiative and buck protocol the way Pittman did? I would like to think so, but, like I said, I'm not sure.

Rest assured that all rotorheads have a "buck the system" gene built in.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
They NEED to -
They work "beating the air into submission" !
smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Semper Fi

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, rest in peace Sir!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,413 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.