Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of my favorites.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruark is the standard by which I measure, Capstick is very entertaining. I mostly read EW because it seemed that I was supposed to do so.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Ruark is the standard by which I measure, Capstick is very entertaining. I mostly read EW because it seemed that I was supposed to do so.

I like Ruark too, John.

The title quote to Something of Value is very relevant today. Reputed to be an African proverb.

If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Read it a bunch of times; one of the classics for sure.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Green Hills is a great book, but one of my favorite parts is actually Appendix I written by Pauline. She chronicles the kills as well as the food and drink. What is interesting is the amount of animals they actually missed or wounded. Hate to say it but there was some sloppy shooting going on. Nevertheless, great book. But if you haven't read the appendices, give them a look.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge, you're not the lone dissenter, and I echo hatari's view of enjoying the character of Hemingway over his writing.

I've found that if a truck breaks down on the way to the hunting grounds, EH would spend 4 chapters describing the hardship, while to Ruark it would be a sidenote. Hemingway uses the situation to define the man, but Ruark uses the man to define the situation.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Perhaps we should discuss outdoor writers that didn’t win the Nobel Prize for literature.

I have read many from this lot. Some a chapter, some a book or two. The one I return to year after year is Corbett, and The Temple Tiger is in my backpack as I type.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Jorge, you're not the lone dissenter, and I echo hatari's view of enjoying the character of Hemingway over his writing.

I've found that if a truck breaks down on the way to the hunting grounds, EH would spend 4 chapters describing the hardship, while to Ruark it would be a sidenote. Hemingway uses the situation to define the man, but Ruark uses the man to define the situation.

Excellent post, sir.

Yes, I also like Corbett. Anderson is another "Corbett-like" author that wrote about India.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great read.. Just found a book on his years in Wyoming writing , hunting and fly fishing...

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Excellent post, sir.

Yes, I also like Corbett. Anderson is another "Corbett-like" author that wrote about India.

Corbett's writing (which I enjoy) is almost comical in the sense that he's so dismissive of what would seem to be a major occurrence.

"So anyway, I killed that guy, and then finished the channel to our new harbor. But back to that Gemsbok...."

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Excellent post, sir.

Corbett's writing (which I enjoy) is almost comical in the sense that he's so dismissive of what would seem to be a major occurrence.

"So anyway, I killed that guy, and then finished the channel to our new harbor. But back to that Gemsbok...."

Classic British penchant for understatement... Love it

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
[
Originally Posted by hatari

. . . Is it heresy to say that I enjoyed Ruark more?

Sacrilege

Originally Posted by Ploughman
I like "The Green Hills of Africa" more than "A Farewell to Arms", but less than "The Sun Also Rises". Never much cared for any of Hemingway's other novels. Many of his short stories are good, though.

No question that "The Sun Also Rises" is his best work. It made me travel to Pamplona to run with the bulls, and heavily drink at the festival.

Originally Posted by smitty_bs
. . . What is interesting is the amount of animals they actually missed or wounded. Hate to say it but there was some sloppy shooting going on . . .

Or some very heavy drinking around the campfire the night before.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 08/27/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
I highly recommend Ruark as I knew him . If you're like me at the end you'll both admire him and his life and detest him for throwing it away by drinking himself to death. What a waste.

No doubt..

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I like your post!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As far as tough as nails and completely fearless Jim Corbett was a man's man, he thought nothing, of taking off and walking a hundred miles to sit in the rain all night long with no light no food , poor clothing and worse water , waiting for an all but silent, man eating cat, to stalk his hide !

And with no more todo than finishing the back nine, he would walk back home again !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lol I appreciate this discussion, having just started reading Green Hills a short while ago. I'm only about 20% in but feel myself losing interest due to the long discussions about broken down trucks, why there are no longer any good American writers, but also due to the strange dialog that is sometimes hard to follow. I can't help but feel most of the writing is both pedantic and inconsequential.

I'm not as patient with books as I used to be and am trying to be disciplined enough to finish it but now feel tempted to seek out some Ruark, as I was mostly interested in the actual hunting theme.

Last edited by Pabst; 08/27/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I re-read Roark's works every year. One and done with Green Hills.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Pugs
I highly recommend Ruark as I knew him . If you're like me at the end you'll both admire him and his life and detest him for throwing it away by drinking himself to death. What a waste.

No doubt..

Just being helpful for those interested - the title of that book is Ruark Remembered - By The Man Who Knew Him Best by Alan Richie, who was Ruark's personal secretary.

Another great book about Ruark is A View From A Tall Hill by Terry Wieland.

These are both excellent, excellent books and anyone interested in Ruark should definitely acquire them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Corbett definitely had a way of understating situations that would make mere mortals collapse. Many times in disbelief I've had to re-read the passage just to make sure he said what he said. Absolutely fearless guy.

Surprised J.A. Hunter hasn't been mentioned. Less fiction, but I really enjoyed reading history from his perspective and those he interviewed.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Tanganyika just sounds so much more exotic than does Tanzania; I hear Tanganyika and I see what Africa must be like even though I've never been. They should have stuck with that name.

They got that name because they merged Tanganyika with Zanzibar. Dumb idea because the ethnic races in the two countries were different. The first thing that happened is that the Negroes murdered all the Arabs in Zanzibar.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,825
Posts18,477,900
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.