-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You’ve got this weekend (2 full days, one night)left as the last chance to scout some new spots in a new area after some more basic level scouting previously. Do you:

A) Attempt the most physically difficult, off trail high risk high reward spot. Starting at timberline, cresting a ridge, then bailing down an avalanche chute about 1800 feet to get into wilderness land locked by a private ranch at the lower end of the draiange.

B) Do the easier on trail option that is sometimes worked by an outfitter to get to know the area better. Low risk, solid option, but potential for feeling a little crowded if the outfitter is also there with a client or three, plus any other DIYers.

C). Attempt A and if it sucks, pull out as quickly as possible, and relocate to B, running the risk of not getting to your intended campsite before dark and limiting scouting time, plus a much more significant hike on Day 2 to complete the Intended loop

Asking for a friend wink

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Option C for your friend!😁

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sit down and think about A. If you got an elk 1800' down an avalanche chute, could you get it out? Most of those are some kind of nasty, steep, rocks and deadfall or lots of new brush in older ones.
Then do B or C.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Whatever you do stay flexible. Adjust your plans based on the sign you're seeing.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Sit down and think about A. If you got an elk 1800' down an avalanche chute, could you get it out? Most of those are some kind of nasty, steep, rocks and deadfall or lots of new brush in older ones.
Then do B or C.

Well the good news is that I’d only be carrying the head out, goats would have the rest. And fair chance it would only be skull plate

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A!

But I’m younger than most here and in good shape.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm all about plan A, if only to find the good glassing spots as the deer often aren't in the same place come season, especially if it's a general hunt.
I don't see it as "high risk" at all, unless you're talking about getting yourself or the goats hurt climbing up or down that avalanche chute.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Given the goat deal, Plan A.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Plan A. As long as you can avoid a goat rope.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Then do B or C.

Well the good news is that I’d only be carrying the head out, goats would have the rest. And fair chance it would only be skull plate
OK, you didn't mention the goats in your OP. That's like me and my llamas. I'm 72 and there are lots of places I can't go any more but they allow me to hunt way beyond where I could go without them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Years ago , in my prime, the answer would be A without a doubt. I loved the high country, getting an elk was just icing on the cake!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A for sure. It's a scouting trip. Burn your legs and time up on the potential new hot spot when you're not worried about filling a tag. I'm not going to scout an area that is known; i.e. if there's an outfitter there, it's probably a safe bet elk are in the area or pass through that area during hunting seasons. Worst case during hunting season, I could still-hunt that area as a last ditch effort.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Is there a road leading to the ranch?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah road goes right to the front gate of the ranch. Another road on the mountain above the ranch was what I was considering. High cliffs up the sides make it unlikely you’ll want to hike around it he private down low. Also another downside, I was wrong about it being Wilderness, it’s not. Noticed the trail out the back was a two track and the motor vehicle use map on the forest service shows it’s open to off route game retrieval in that valley. Which could be totally abused. I did find out that the ranch has rifle season landowner vouchers and none for muzzleloader or archery m. I’ll be hunting muzzleloader. Best way in is off the cliffs if I can find the defunct stock trail that is on old maps but not current ones. Next best is the direct avalanche chute.

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/28/20.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
“My friend” chickened out and went with option B. Is an outfitter tent partially set up so that could be an issue. But the elk were bugling al day long and really put on a show last night. Mostly raghorns but one really nice one came out into the open at dark.

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/31/20.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
stay as far away from any road, well traveled trail or campground. as possible. Most hunters give up after the first mile, and will shy away from difficult terrain... My rule, shoot the first legal elk you see, it very well may be the only one.

Last edited by elkmen1; 09/10/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Too much missing information to really make a call. But I personally would go with A on the limited amount of info given.

As to the guy that says he is in great shape. The shape you are in does not dictate where the elk are! Remember 90% of the animals live in 10% of the forest. Second doesn't matter how great of shape you think you are in, if it is hot and a long hike out chances are good you will lose meat.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.