Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I buried my father yesterday. It was a tough day. He passed on the morning of August 21st. The funeral was delayed because we were waiting for my oldest to get in from Ft. Bragg as Tuesday was the end of his enlistment.
Dad would have been 74 on September 11th.
Dad was a regular outlaw in his younger day but in the fall of 1970 God answered mom’s prayers and he found the Lord. He was a completely changed man.
He spent the rest of his life sharing the gospel. For over the past 40 years he held weekly services in the local jail and nursing homes and since he retired he went to the nursing homes nearly every day to visit people if he wasn’t vacationing or at a doctors appointment.
He preached funerals for those who had no one, paid for funerals for our poorest family members, put people up in hotels, kept their lights on and took food or presents to someone so they could have a decent Christmas.
He loved to help whomever we could.
He was a wonderful husband, father and grandfather and set a wonderful example for us. He never complained about anything and talked about how good he had it no matter how bad he felt.
Dad was a wonderful provider and worked for 40 years as a tool & die maker for GM. He liked to worked me to death as a kid here on the farm but I’m so thankful he taught me how to work.
He also taught me how to hunt and fish and passed on to me his love for the outdoors and firearms.
The funeral director said that with COVID19 the viewing would be suppressed but over 600 still came through. Three hundred showed up for the funeral. His grandsons were his pallbearers.
Dad was just told he was in 5th stage kidney failure and he refused dialysis. They wanted to take his left leg but he said he came into this world with two legs and he was leaving with two. He had told his sister that unless God undertook he was in for a painful passing. God undertook. He mowed his grass and cut up a little tree in the back yard. He got to feeling bad and 36 hours later he was gone. He died at home like he wanted. I got to spend his last few hours with him as did the rest of the family. Had he been in the hospital we couldn’t have done that.
I am so thankful he was my dad. He will be missed. Thanks to the campfire for letting me share this.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 08/28/20.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Sympathies for your family. He sounds like he was a good man.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You will surely miss him, but keeping the memories alive will help with that. Sorry for your (and lots of other people's) loss.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm sorry for the loss of your father, but humbled by a man whose life sounds to have been well lived.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What a legacy, that should be be some solace for you and your family.
There are thousands of good folks like your father across this country that we never hear their story or the realm of their influence.
May he Rest In Peace.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
PTL, he has everlasting life. Expect to be together again.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
He went on his own terms with his mind still intact. We should all be so blessed. RIP

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Its people like your father that make America the greatest land on earth, may he rest in Peace.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
He sounds like a great man. Prayers for the family.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a beautiful way to pay tribute to your Dad, very honorable. Sorry for your loss.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My condolences. I buried mine in 2013 after he lost his battle with lung cancer. I would give anything to be able to do one more hunting or fishing trip with him. I miss him greatly every opening day.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My sincerest condolences.

He sounds as though he lived an exemplary life and will be a very tough act to follow.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mourn your father's passing, but be grateful that God shared him with you and your family.

It sounds like he was truly a great man. May he rest in Peace

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
What a wonderful story and Man, he is beside Jesus, you are so blessed to of had him as Dad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So sorry for your loss - may your father rest in peace.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Very sorry for your loss.....but, it appears that God brought home a good man! Thoughts and Prayers to You, Family, and your Father’s friends! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very sorry for your loss. At least you have the comfort of knowing he's at peace.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sorry for your loss of your father. Keep his memory close.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It is indeed bittersweet. While we know our Loved Ones are "with Him", we are acutely aware they are "not here with us". Yes, it hurts, and will for awhile yet. May God comfort you during this time sir...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.