Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked up an extremely nice walnut wood stock and wonder if you recommend something better than Lemon Pledge and a micro fiber cloth.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Briar Wax

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Any paste wax is better than Lemon Pledge. Anything.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How is the stack finished? Varnish? Lacquer? Oil?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry I should have provided more detail. Rubbed oil finish, presentation grade walnut 22 lines per inch checkering.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Renaissance Wax.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's my favorite too, but it's not the only one out there. There are cans of Butcher's Wax on my shelf also.

One type of wax certainly to be avoided is car wax. The silicone in it is bad for the wood, especially if refreshing the finish is a future possibility. Silicone is insidious stuff and will play hob with results. Same goes for pretty much all the proprietary "false impression" stuff at Pep Boys designed to make your car sparkle. Armorall is the biggie that comes to mind. WD-40 is another.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rotten stone mineral oil and a felt pad if it really needs to be polished out and then a coat or two of Renaissance wax. I would have someone look at it and advise though before doing anything.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ditto what Jim said: wax and polish are two different things - polishes have some degree of fine abrasive which can wear right through the original finish. Finess is the objective term when using rotten stone or any other means of polishing.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster
Renaissance Wax.

My choice for fine wood too!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Any paste wax is better than Lemon Pledge. Anything.

+ a lot!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If it needs polishing then rotten stone or for a higher luster FFF or FFFF polishing compound. If for routine maintenance I like Clive's Lemon oil, this is not lemon oil it is his last name he worked for H&H Purdey and others, it is available under Warthog products, the double gun registry carries it. I use my own slacum mix which is linseed and/or tung oil, turpentine, carnuba wax, some varnish and shellac, plus driers. This is good as a finish and an annual maintenance application

If you don't want to fool around with mixing your own Johnson's Paste Wax or Renaissance are both good..

If the oil finish needs refurbishing then use artist grade linseed and stand oil, thin with turpentine not paint thinner, apply with vigorous rubbing and then wipe off after 30 minutes. This will keep the finish looking very good and after a 100 or so years will be very hard and durable, you can use your riflle while waiting for the century cure.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.