Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I knew who it was

I didn’t say anything and decided to put a nicer chair in there and then spray Deer-A-Way all around the whole area for a couple hundred yards out all directions.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having lived on and hunted my place all my life, and I'm 70, I know where the deer have to cross to get from point A to point B. They are pretty much forced to use a narrow corridor of land in order to travel between the bedding areas and the food sources. In the rut, the bucks use this corridor to check out the doe groups. I have placed my shooting houses where I can cover these areas, with the majority of the shots being under 200 yards. I do have opportunities for shots up to 400 yards, and I regularly practice at that distance. Sitting in my shooting house beats the snot out of any other stand I've ever used.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I’ll be 70 years old next week. When the day comes that I’m not able to still hunt or just take a seat somewhere in the open woods, I’m done. Sitting in a shooting house is not real hunting to me.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use old plexiglass golf cart windshields and cut the track out of a 2x2 using a dado blade. We hunt a lot of open spaces and cut lines, you need a window to block the north wind. My best stand has windows that slide up and a lazy boy about 6' away from my fireplace. I keep a rifle on my wood stack on the back porch sighted in for the feeder at 350.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I looked at travel trailer window but didn't think about house trailer windows. Where did you buy them for $40?

Last edited by victoro; 08/29/20.
V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by hanco
I make mine fold up and in. I have a 6”x16 piece of glass siliconed In place in the middle of each window.

I've made them that way but it's hard to keep the inside of the stand dry. I've also put them on the outside but I got busted by the deer too many times when I opened one of them.

Last edited by victoro; 08/29/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro
I looked at travel trailer window but didn't think about house trailer windows. Where did you buy then for $40?

They have prolly gone up.

That was Lowe’s about 10 years ago.

Lowe’s website isn’t cooperating for me to check.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Lowe's doesn't have them anymore but I should be able to find some at a house trailer parts supplier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just guessing,

But it’s like 14”x 24”

I’m left handed, so i put the open side on the left.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer View Windows like Rockinbbar said. You wont be sorry.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by texasbatman

Jim

Neither here nor there....

Funny story about deerview.

Buddy ordered some about 5 years ago.

Charged him. Took several months to ship.

To the point he thought he got ripped off.

Fast forward a year or 2.

Me and him was at a sportsman show.

Deerview has a booth there.

He asks them how fast they ship.
“Next day...”

He says I’m so and so. Remember when i ordered and y’all didn’t ship for a couple months.

Silence...............................

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I imagine plexiglass is in short supply this year.

If you subscribe to the tape over the end of the barrel while stalking approach, the why not mount a role of plastic wrap over the window cut-out?

Shoot thru and roll a fresh piece down.

Commercial restaurant supply roles are 2.5-3ft.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 08/30/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Deerview are fine. I’ve dealt with them twice. Once went pretty fast, another time, took a few weeks. Half the deer hunters in Texas sre building blinds right now, to put up Labor Day weekend, so they’ll be ready come opening in November. Now is not a good time to expect “quick shipment” on supplies such as these.

For the guys who want to bitsch and rag on “Texas deer hunting”, well, congratulations. You can hunt your public spot in another state, with 30 other guys, dressed in blaze orange, for your 2 week deer season that’s regulated more than a pharmaceutical production facility, praying you don’t get shot by some idiot. We can sit under a tree when we archery hunt, turkey hunt, or squirrel hunt.

No, it’s not like elk hunting out west, but it’s what we got and what we do, and if you don’t like it, feel free to take the dick-measuring contest over to the optics forum et al and brag about your manhood and extravagant financial expenditures at length.

V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V

Jim

They look great and are exactly like the windows I paid $15 for at Lowe's a few years ago. The small Deer View windows I want will cost about $100 each with tax and shipping.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by victoro

Jim

They look great and are exactly like the windows I paid $15 for at Lowe's a few years ago. The small Deer View windows I want will cost about $100 each with tax and shipping.

Ouch. I bought 12” x 36” windows from them(sets of 4) for about $160ish delivered.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Deerview are fine. I’ve dealt with them twice. Once went pretty fast, another time, took a few weeks. Half the deer hunters in Texas sre building blinds right now, to put up Labor Day weekend, so they’ll be ready come opening in November. Now is not a good time to expect “quick shipment” on supplies such as these.

For the guys who want to bitsch and rag on “Texas deer hunting”, well, congratulations. You can hunt your public spot in another state, with 30 other guys, dressed in blaze orange, for your 2 week deer season that’s regulated more than a pharmaceutical production facility, praying you don’t get shot by some idiot. We can sit under a tree when we archery hunt, turkey hunt, or squirrel hunt.

No, it’s not like elk hunting out west, but it’s what we got and what we do, and if you don’t like it, feel free to take the dick-measuring contest over to the optics forum et al and brag about your manhood and extravagant financial expenditures at length.

I enjoy slipping around still hunting after a rain with my pistol deer hunting. But I'd much rather sit in one of our 20+ box stands over looking feeders and green fields. I went to Wisconsin for opening day of rifle season.....once. I counted over 150 shots seen 20+ hunters and killed a couple of bucks in a thick tamarack swamp, every single hunter walked around the swamp I was sitting in. I called my cousins and asked them to please bring me some more orange. I know wearing a orange vest doesn't work because a Yankee from Pennsylvania opened fired on a group of elk that was coming straight to me. I did end up killing two young 5 X 5's out of the herd and beat the Yankees azz when he said he saw me in his scope before he started shooting. Wallace guide service in Colburn Colorado almost got me killed,

Life is good live it while you can.
V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I like to hunt in box stands, with a comfortable reclining chair (for naps), windows you can close, binoculars, rangefinder, propane heater, drinks, snacks and big plastic jug to pee in. I'll sit in a box stand all day sometimes during the rut. My favorite way to hunt though when the weathers not too bad is to scout around for some fresh deer tracks. I look for BIG tracks and if they're the only tracks that's better. The next day I'll set up my 3 legged tripod with a swivel seat downwind at least 100 yds, from the tracks and hunt there for a few days. My 2nd favorite way is to find good spot and put a folding back in the brush a little downwind from that spot and hunt with my crossbow. I've had deer walk right by me many times.

Last edited by victoro; 08/30/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a couple of dozen from them a few years back and the most expensive was under $50.00 with the average window being less than $30.00. This was for hinged, clear, windows. Their prices are on their website under products. Looks like there is some waiting time involved now. But, they are good windows. I picked them up myself because their shipping was high. I was going to be in the area in a few weeks and they gladly held them.

Jim

V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I decided to make one more web search before ordered 2 more plexiglass windows and found theses windows. They are just like I the aluminum widows I had before so I ordered 2 of them. I never thought to search for shed windows.

https://www.amazon.com/Window-White...mp;psc=1&refRID=D7G44YWRQHP2MYCN7T4S

Last edited by victoro; 09/01/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,472,995
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.