Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Pugs
To pair with Jorge's as we feed off of each others rimfire addiction. A 1964 Targetsman I picked up last week.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pugs and I shoot together fairly frequently and it would seem that we both have similar tastes (and share a .22 addiction). He, and now Jorge, has caused me to spend too much time scouring the gun sites for an early 6" Woodsman to go with my 1st series 4". Darn it, I gotta buy another .22 pistol. Drat!

And so I did. 6" Series 1 Woodsman, 1930 vintage, not altered for HS ammo use (don't care). You guys will be the death of me.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
The second, and third series woodsman mags, along with the modded Neos mags will NOT work in a first series. Any first series mag will work in the prewoodsman regardless of bottom stamp on the mag. Triple K also makes a replacement, but more than likely will need tweaked to work as they are kind of junky.....

On a whim I bought a Triple K as a spare for my 4" Series 1 (immediate post-war). I guess I got lucky as it works flawlessly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Woodsman is THE handgun to have for the outdoorsy type. Many appear in Alaska. I will relate some tails of the owners of the John Browning masterpiece. One rancher on Kodiak Island carried a 4" Woodsman that was so worn that the front sight was missing and he practiced everyday. Coming around the barn he came face to face with a charging Kodiak bear. One shot and the bear's skin was on the barn wall. In an old Colt add it showed a man next to a large bull moose and his gun was a Woodsman. Saw another picture of a man with a large Dall sheep that he killed with a Woodsman. Read the story of a man that walked to Alaska in the 1930's and his only gun was a Woodsman. He said the only time he felt under gunned was when he killed grizzlies. WOW. I knew a trapper that wandered the mountains of Colorado since the 30's and his gun he carried everyday on the trail was a Woodsman. Man it was in sorry shape. I have carried a pre war for decades and it sleeps under the seat of truck every day. When I was guiding elk hunters I carried only a Woodsman. I used it to finish off quite a few, deer, elk and antelope. I killed 2 elk with mine, though I had another guide standing next to me with a high power rifle. Both dead before the echo vanished. Just about as easy to point shoot as pointing your finger. When I traded into mine I took it into the desert of Arizona to test it out. While approaching the target area a raven took off and flew away. A quick snap shot broke his wing while the truck I was a passenger in was still moving. Quite a first shot from my new companion. I have also shot a buck mule deer, badgers, fish, rabbits, ducks and a goose. Just a beautiful milled steel and walnut handgun from days when craftsmanship was king.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My well worn pre war Woodsman rides in a vintage lined Heiser flap holster that was found at a gun show in 1983 in Leadville, Colo. Forgot 3 other famous hunters that swore by the woodsman. Earnest Hemmingway said he afraid of no man while carrying his Woodsman and shooting solid bullets. General Patton has been photographed wearing a Woodsman. Lastly none other than the world famous African white hunter, Harry Selby had one with him on most of his safaris. When his cook kept complaining about a crocodile raiding the cook sharp, the cook set a snare for the offender. One evening the cook shouted he had the croc in a leg snail. Harry grabbed the Woodsman and rounded the corner and saw one of the largest crocs he ever saw. At this point he retreated for a more serious gun to finish the croc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also have a 1964 Match Target that was my Grandfather's retirement gift in 1964 to go with the "new" Targetsman. Still has the box, screwdriver, sight pamphlet and manual and basketweave holster but that hasn't kept us from carrying and shooting it a lot over the years.

The joy of these is they made them for so long and in so many varieties that they are interesting to collect and shoot and unless exceptionally rare, pretty affordable. Also nice that they are for the most part C&R eligible so getting them mailed to the house is handy!

My brother, circa 1980, with Grandad's Woodsman on his hip in Suwannee FL before heading out into California Swamp on the three-wheeler.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool guys. Hope this thread keeps going. Yeah, it's addictive. I'll probably buy another!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m pretty thick on .22 handguns. My classic Colt is a 1938 Officers Model Match. But if I buy another .22 handgun, it will be a woodsman.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I read it properly, Adam carried a Woodsman in The Garden of Eden. He had a snake problem.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To continue "famous people who carried and used Woodsman's". I have a WW 2 era Heiser shoulder holster for a Woodsman and it has written in ink upon the holster a Major Turner and his serial number. Read an account of a soldier that carried one on D- Day and "used it with effect on 2 occasions". I would love to find that account in print again but alas it eludes me. A trapper in Alaska wrote a narrative about "needs" of the trapper. His number 1 thing in his list was a Colt Woodsman in a flap holster. His rifle was not specific just something in the 30-06 power level. Said that was not important as it was used only one or 2 times a year, while the Woodsman was used daily. The old Alaskan sourdough Russel Annabel swore by a 22 pistol in Alaska use and I believe his was a Woodsman. I will try to remember more. And lets not forget about our forums own Huntsman 22.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 08/15/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I traded my prewoodsman to a guy in Alaska for a smith 34.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trying to keep this interesting thread going. Talking about famous people using the Woodsman pistols, read the story of the Alaskan sourdoughs that joined the army in WW 2 and were the forward observers for the Aleutian campaign.They were known as Castners Cutthroats. The were armed with about any make of 30-06 and to a man carried Colt Woodsman's. Something of interst about 22 LR ammo and military use. Since it violated the Hauge Convention rules the standard round nose lead ammo was not allowed so the government contracted with Remington to make full metal jacket ammo for military use. It was packaged in a standard 50 round box that was foil wrapped for protection from the elements.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 08/15/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Picked it up yesterday. Made in 1921. Smooth as butter, action's like a little bank vault and the picture does not do it justice. Test fired one magazine full and fed and fired flawlessly. Very pleased..

Dayam, Jorge. Nice looking rock chucker. Congrats.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hi I bought one yesterday A much later Woodsmen, its a Match Target from 1960, in very good shape, cant wait to shoot it! cant post pics but could text a pic to some one to post!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
saddlerings MT.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks Don for posting my pic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have it on good authority. OK, a text message. grin from gnoahhh that he acquired a nice Woodsman today as well. He and I and Roof will get together Sunday for a little rimfire shooting and pictures.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Garys Good Guy, Love to be at the range with you fellows! but plan to go to the range here also on sunday!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just got back from the range, got some shooting in before the rain hit! shot Great realy Liking this Pistol! wife shot her Browning buckmark, and is doing very well with it! didnt care for the old Colt much , that Im glad of Lol This one has found a Home!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.