Campfire Outfitter
P
"People who shoot their mouths off - shouldn't be shooting guns."

~ Gandhi

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
I wish I was so good I didn’t need instructing.

LOL

Spend more time at the range and less time sashaying around here...you *may* improve.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When first time/novice gun buyers ask me for a recommendation, my first response is almost always a revolver. In my opinion, autos tend to frighten and confuse them and in a high stress scenario, revolvers leave little to the imagination other than just pull the trigger. Also, statistics clearly show that the overwhelming majority of civilian (self defense) shootings, involve three rounds or less.

Edited to add: although when you thnk about ut, striker fired autos are kinda like an "automatic revolver.". Still an opinion but I'll still recommend a revolver/

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/31/20.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
When first time/novice gun buyers ask me for a recommendation, my first response is almost always a revolver. In my opinion, autos tend to frighten and confuse them and in a high stress scenario, revolvers leave little to the imagination other than just pull the trigger. Also, statistics clearly show that the overwhelming majority of civilian (self defense) shootings, involve three rounds or less.

Not me I always recommend a semi auto with good magazine capacity. They are not rocket science, i see zero advantage to a revolver for defensive purposes

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

LOL

Spend more time at the range and less time sashaying around here...you *may* improve.

Flave is actually one of the best shooters on the fire 🔥

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Yet another consideration is cost. Most new shooters don't want to spend a lot. Two of our top sellers to new owners are the S&W SD9VE (new Sigma) and the Taurus G2C. Ones that want to spend more want a Glock 19 or M&P. Think of the price of any of those compared to a GP100 or 686. People may come in driving an Expedition or BMW, but don't want to "overspend" on something that could save their lives. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's reality. To those who keep saying "used K-frame", they aren't out there like they used to be. The days of cheap police trade ins was decades ago.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was shooting Saturday with an LCR (1 7/8" 357, shooting 38 +P) and a Sig P365. 5 shots with one, 5 shots with the other, mainly from 15 yards. The little LCR makes me want to revolver all the time...but the extra capacity, speed of reload, and ease of carry with extra mag tip things to the auto.

Freakin' LCR's have some kinda mojo on that trigger.

Chasing brass sux.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Jorge,

Those studies claiming round counts and distances are not nearly as sound as you think.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

LOL

I edited my post since you posted smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The days of cheap police trade ins was decades ago.

Which tells you a lot about those who keep preaching that mantra.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Jorge,

Those studies claiming round counts and distances are not nearly as sound as you think.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jorge,

Thank you. See my amended post, but I'll still "stick to my guns" and recommend the revolver. My wife has carried a S&W snubbie for years is good with it (at seven yards)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The days of cheap police trade ins was decades ago.

Which tells you a lot about those who keep preaching that mantra.

Kings and a few others had trade-in model tens Etc for under $400, less than 6 months ago. I suppose the days of walking into just any gun shop and finding them over but like everything else, if you scour the internet you will find them.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bud's had a bunch of Model 10's a while back, if I recall they were selling them for the low-mid $300 range and several campfire posters got one. A gunshop in Staten Island has three well used NYPD trade ins on gunbroker right now but demand is driving prices up, one is at $455 with 6 days left and another is at $320.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877257039

Decent 10's are being bought up for prices in the mid $500 area and one in very nice shape just sold for $600.

About 10 -12 years ago I couldn't give away a Model 15 for $200, no one wanted them.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This post is directed at nobody in particular:

I've quietly watched this dumpster fire unfold, and the thing that makes me scratch my head is how folks refuse to look past the demeanor/social graces of others. Just focus on substance. You don't have to like 'flave, Blue, jwp, or ______ (fill in the blank), but if they have the skills and experience, don't just reject their quality input on the basis that you don't like their personality.

I've been all barfed up on gun issues on numerous occasions and have learned this above all else: If you're willing to admit that you might be wrong, and if you're willing to listen, guys here will fall all over themselves helping you out. Send a guy a PM; ask for some help; then just sit back and take notes. Absorb all that free wisdom.

I had an hour long phone call once with jwp about bonded bullets through various barriers and was stunned by the amount of actual, real-world testing the man has done. Bluedreaux has helped me pick shot timers, guns, and holsters. Oregon45 is still helping me in my search for a vintage Model 57 Smith. JiminIdaho is another one who simply takes the time to conduct real-world tests and writes thorough reports on his findings. CrimsonTide, Steelhead, MontanaMarine, Mackay Sagebrush, etc. etc., these are all men who if they say something is true, you can take it to the bank and write checks on it, regardless of whether you "get along" with them.

Honestly, the petty bickering saddens me. Here in the HANDGUNS forum we typically do better.

Last edited by Waders; 08/31/20. Reason: My writing is as bad as my shooting--I made a small edit for the sake of clarity.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

LOL

That's great advice.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

And the most handsome.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Edited to add: although when you thnk about ut, striker fired autos are kinda like an "automatic revolver.". Still an opinion but I'll still recommend a revolver/

Perhaps Joe was onto something with that double barrel shotgun idea.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

And the most handsome.

You're like Wilson on Home Improvement, we've never gotten a good look

Last edited by jwp475; 08/31/20.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Perhaps Joe was onto something with that double barrel shotgun idea.

OK

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 3 invisible), 1,139 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.