Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My son is thinking we need to buy some body armor, any pro's and con's would be helpful. It's crazy to think that a person might actually have a need for such stuff but we hear that from the anti gun crowd on a daily basis.

Life is good live it while you can.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
About ten years ago, I saw a tremendous deal on a Level IIIa vest by Second Chance. The original seller was a European police agency (I think German) who over ordered by a very large number, and was stuck with thousands of extra brand new vests they needed to get rid of, so they sold them to a surplus dealer very cheap, and that dealer sold them to the public cheap. I think I only paid like fifty dollars for it. It was never issued. Brand new. I bought a trauma plate for it, and inserted it into the pocket on the vest.

I doubt a deal like that will come around again any time soon. It was a freak occurrence.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Careful buying vests that may be past their expiration date.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a level 3 and had to adjust to the weight it adds to the upper body . Just enough to make you loose your balance .

I think it's a good purchase .

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

There is a suspicion out there that expiration dates on Kevlar vests are mostly BS. What matters is how long they've been in use. Just sitting in a proper store room doesn't take any time off their useful lifespan. Folks have done tests on supposedly long expired vests (even vests retired from police service where they were regularly worn) and they still stop all the calibers they were rated for.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

There is a suspicion out there that expiration dates on Kevlar vests are mostly BS. What matters is now long they've been in use. Just sitting in a proper store room doesn't take any time off their useful lifespan. Folks have done tests on supposedly long expired vests (even vests retired from police service where they were regularly worn) and they still stop all the calibers they were rated for.

Granted.

I did test one that had ridden several years in the trunk of a patrol car. It was "crispy" when you moved it around and bent it. You could hear crackling noises, like a bread bag...

I strapped it to a post, and it still stopped a .357 Mag 125gr hp though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You want ceramic rifle plates, not Kevlar alone.

Yes they are heavy and yes it sucks wearing them.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/30/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

True, but most people don't wear one for an entire shift outside law enforcement. Ceramic is good.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

19lbs of heavy to be exact.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Don't know men, may be when the time comes we citizens need to armor up, there 'will' be all kinds of weaponry in play, may be best to be able to stick and move with speed.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What Gunner said.

Soft armor is a crap shoot, no pun intended. Ceramic plate will stop 7.62x39 AP. A strategy that depends on body armor will eventually lead one to meet the fellow that shoots you someplace else besides the armor. Life in the shadows and surprising the enemy is a functional way to reach old age.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Don't know men, may be when the time comes we citizens need to armor up, there 'will' be all kinds of weaponry in play, may be best to be able to stick and move with speed.

If we ever get to the place where it’s 110% full-tilt barrels are hot in a community. Vests capable of mitigating rifle rounds would be counter productive to being able to move with speed and agility.

I would definitely wear a class 3a soft armor vest during the above situation. Movement is almost unrestricted and 9mm fired on a street will be as common as bread and butter is on a kitchen table.

😎

“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by gunner500

If we ever get to the place where it’s 110% full-tilt barrels are hot in a community. Vests capable of mitigating rifle rounds would be counter productive to being able to move with speed and agility.

I would definitely wear a class 3a soft armor vest during the above situation. Movement is almost unrestricted and 9mm fired on a street will be as common as bread and butter is on a kitchen table.

😎

Agreed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well done Bristoe.

The exact image comes to mind every time a body armor thread gets started.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Old fashioned AR500 plates.
😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
is the Condor Defender any good?

I know little about this stuff, but I was looking into a vest which this one is described as a plate carrier.

You can pick them up for as little as $75 for the army green version.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Price seems to be all over the place and from what I gather a soft vest won't stop a 5.56? My guess is most of the BLM crowd will be dang lucky to hit you shooting a pistol.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pic of the body armor I have.

White vest is a soft panel Level3A for comfort and moving quickly. Pistol round protection, up to 44 Mag.

The Green vest is front and back loaded with ceramic ballistic panels to stop some common rifle rounds. It weighs 19lbs.

Even at 19lbs, if I had to move quickly, it won’t be a factor. But, it’s nowhere near as comfortable as a soft sided vest.

😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Most of us would suffer from the lack of mobility caused by the weight of even a basic load and weapon on a hot day. Add the weight of a carrier and front and rear ceramic plates and you will soon be doing turtle impressions. War is a young man's game. DD and Gunner have the right idea for most of us.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.