Print Thread
Hop To
F
Full3r Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Guys, I’ve decided I need to buy a 71 of some flavor. Going to use it to hunt not just a safe/range queen. I’m wondering thoughts on the differences between the Winchester’s and the browning remakes? I’m not looking to spend 4K+ as I don’t want to worry about scratching the hell out of a collectors piece. Are there any disadvantages to buying a miroku repro?

David

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 originals and have shot a friend's reproduction. I think it was Miroku. To be honest, other than the nostalgia of the originals, the repro shot better and was almost as smooth.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Milwroad
I have 2 originals and have shot a friend's reproduction. I think it was Miroku. To be honest, other than the nostalgia of the originals, the repro shot better and was almost as smooth.

I'd agree a bunch. I love the originals, but I run the Browning carbine and man, it shoots and is very slick.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IA few months ago I bought a Miroku made Winchester Deluxe Mod. 71 from a friend who owned the rifle. I had the gun smith shorten the barrel to 22", add a full length magazine tube, remove rebounding hammer and drill two holes on top of the receiver for XS rear peep and XS front with white stripe. Also added 3/4 inch black Pachmayer Sporting Clay's recoil pad on it and a black Montana sling. I also had the smith turn it into a .348 Ackley Improved and waiting on dies from Whidden.

What my limited research told me is between Winchester originals,Winchester and Browning remakes the Browning was the best because of no rebounding hammer or safety. My new Winchester has the sliding tang safety. Fortunately I can live with it as it's not as ugly and obnoxious looking to me as the side button safeties on some Mod. 94 and Marlin rifles. Which I always have removed.

If you can find a Browning and want a Mod. 71 then have at it. I am very happy with my Deluxe Winchester version. Good looking walnut and well done checkering and the rich deep bluing makes it look wonderful, it is the "fanciest" rifle I own. I am thinking about having some engraving done to it this winter. I already know which grandson I will leave the rifle to.

Get the rifle you want and have lots of fun with it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I called my friend and the rifle I shot was a Browning Model 71.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My 71 is a Browning repro and I also have 1886 and 1895 Winchester repros. As mentioned, the Winchesters have the tang safety and rebounding hammers. I had the rebounding hammers disabled with half cock notches added to work the same as the Browning. On the 1886, I also had the tang safety disabled and removed, and added a vernier tang sight to cover the recess in the tang. If I were to modify anything on the Browning 71, it would be reshaping the pistol grip to better resemble the original 71 Deluxe.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I had a Browning Carbine and didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. I now have an original Winchester with the 24 inch barrel and it handles so much better. I would stay with the rifles over the carbine. Deals are out there. I got mine not too long ago and it was $800. It had a side mount with scope which I yanked off and put a peep sight on it. Handles great and a lot more accurate than I expected

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I cannot tell you about the Winchesters, but my Browning 71 is definetely a lot tighter than my dads Marlin '95 from the 90s.
I only have two gripes with the rifle at this point:

1. Didn't come factory with sling swivels (I have the standard version). I had a smith install a rear swivel stud and have a deluxe nose cap from Pedersoli in the mail, should probably fit and is much cheaper than the original.
2. I have slight feeding issues. At the moment the cartridge will only slide halfway onto the lifter when I open the bolt. Polishing the lifter or shooting a few more rounds will probably solve this, though.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
F
Full3r Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Still looking

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both on the originals and the Brownings, you are much better off with
the rifle version. It is not velocity lost-it is the cycling balance gained.
You need the extra weight and barrel length for cycling the lever.
I have original 1886's and Deluxe Model 71 pre-war rifles. Their finish and fit
is amazing-but they are rifles only. That is one reason a pistol gripped
Model 71 will repeat much faster than any bolt action made-repeat shots-like for a grizzly that wants you for a rug.

Boomer-Check your magazine spring and...cycle the action a LOT with dummy rounds.
If you leave a fully loaded magazine in place for 10 years, it may cause a "set" in the spring.
You need a snappy spring and a smooth lifter to get a cartridge where it belongs.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the advice. I cycled and shot it some more yesterday and it seems like it feeds properly now.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the Browning for around 15 years or so. Great rifle, I have no complaints.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The originals are great as are the Brownings. No experience with the newer Winchesters. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Browning.

Retired cat herder.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.