Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
got a Mr Coffee ,coffee maker about 3-5 years old. Decided it was time to clean it with vinegar per the op . manual, you know run 3 cups of vinegar thru machine ,shut off let set half hour run last cup of it thru then run pot of water thru to ,rinse out remaining vinegar.It cleaned a little calcium or what ever out of it .That was monday ,Tuesday made one pot of coffee ,it work fine ,made second pot later ,it squirt a few squirts of coffee and the pump stopped ,hot plat still worked .It dead ,it just funny it worked fine till i cleaned it ,did the vinegar kill it? even thought they say to clean it with it ? it just funny it died the day after i cleaned it ,

NRA Life Member
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have a Mr Coffee. Have cleaned it a lot with vinegar. Still works.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe the vinegar dislodged a chunk of calcium that has blocked up the pipework somewhere?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Next one you get, clean it more often.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe the vinegar dislodged a chunk of calcium that has blocked up the pipework somewhere?

Likely. 3-5 years old and how many times have you cleaned it? Put more vinegar through it and let it sit. It will eventually dissolve the calcium. It's possible but not likely it ruined it. Most don't have pumps, they rely on a hearing element to flash steam & it rises up condensing and dripping onto the grounds.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Try cleaning it with some CLR. Give it a couple of extra rinses afterwards with plain water.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I learned my lesson some time ago.
Throw it away or sell it at a garage sale.
Buy a new one for $20.00 or less.
Don't put any water through it other than
distilled water. Never wash it with soap
Only rinse it as needed. No vinegar.
No cleaners of any kind.
JMHO- You can't wash a plastic coffee
pot enough times to get that cleaner
chemical taste and smell out of it.
You might want to run a few pots of
weak instant coffee through it before
you try to make drinking coffee with it.

Good luck

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ll second the earlier poster that it’s clogged by a piece of calcium. I’ve cleaned my Mr Coffee makers for decades with vinegar. My last Mr Coffee maker died last month that I bought in 2003. It was cleaned every couple of months with vinegar. After 17 years it wouldn’t come on one morning frown

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have owned several different coffee makers, at times I have cleaned with vinegar and other times used CLR. Never had one quit because of cleaning, likely you have a blockage somewhere try cleaning with CLR as sugested to un-block. More frequent cleaning will prevent future problems.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

While they do eventually quit working altogether I really doubt a simple cleaning with vinegar would cause that to happen. The last time I had to clean ours it took 2 - 3 vinegar flushes for it to start working normally again.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sevastopol

This. The calcium buildup coats the elements. That insulated them from the water. That causes them to work harder. Eventually the heating element burns out.

Vinegar is the preferred method of cleaning a pot. It dissolves the calcium, but you need to do about every 3-6 months to keep the buildup from getting too thick.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
I’ll second the earlier poster that it’s clogged by a piece of calcium. I’ve cleaned my Mr Coffee makers for decades with vinegar. My last Mr Coffee maker died last month that I bought in 2003. It was cleaned every couple of months with vinegar. After 17 years it wouldn’t come on one morning frown

You got your moneys worth out of that one.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m amazed so many of y’all clean your coffee makers. In the last 20 years I’ve cleaned my 3 coffee makers by running water thru them a grand total of twice. I may wipe them down once every 5 years

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Most people don’t clean them

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have hard water too. After years of using coffee machines of various brands, coffee pod systems etc. we decided to just go low tech. I bought a Melita filter holder for like $3 and filters. Just heat up your water in a stove-top kettle, put the Melita filter holder on top of your cup, put coffee in the filter and pour the hot water in the filter. Let gravity do it's thing and voila' - coffee in my cup. It works every time.

Last edited by cooper57m; 09/02/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shaman

This. The calcium buildup coats the elements. That insulated them from the water. That causes them to work harder. Eventually the heating element burns out.

Vinegar is the preferred method of cleaning a pot. It dissolves the calcium, but you need to do about every 3-6 months to keep the buildup from getting too thick.

A Mr Coffee has the elements in the water? We have a Hamilton Brewmaster. The elements never get wet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
It’s a Mr coffee. When ya buy one, you might as well by a spare or two.

My cuisinart lasted about 8-9 years. Actually it still works. I just replaced it with another one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mr Coffees are junk. Trash it and get a Bunn.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by shaman

A Mr Coffee has the elements in the water? We have a Hamilton Brewmaster. The elements never get wet.

Most common drip coffee makers basically heat water like electric on-demand water heaters do. Cold water is heated as it passes through a small diameter line by an external heat element which quickly brings it to correct temperature.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeebus.....who cleans a coffee maker?

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,194
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.