Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I know this has been discussed before, but I would like to revisit it. I get cold feet when sitting in a deer stand. Chemical toe warmers are too hot at first, then get cold when I need them most. I am considering electric socks or electric insoles. A friend has Cabela's electric insoles and likes them. I read the reviews, and I'm not so sure. The other option is boot covers, but I like the idea of being able to turn a heater on or off.

Can anyone recommend a brand electric socks or insoles?

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm looking for recommendations also.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No but invest in good base layers for your body's core and consider deleting your belt which can restrict blood flow sitting in a stand. Suspenders or bibs are an alternative to belts .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thin poly socks (like dress socks) QUALITY merino wool socks (at least 70%), and allow your feet a LITTLE room in your boots. That's what I do. My father uses battery socks, and he says they work, but his biggest complaint is the socks aren't high enough and the batter packs dig into his leg with higher boots.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They've probably improved electric socks over the years, but about 30 years ago I had a pair. I hated them. They were uncomfortable because of the heating elements & batteries and my feet would sweat.

I had 400 gram Thinsulate boots and 800 gram Thinsulate boots that pretty much covered most of our weather. I got a pair of Arctic Shield Boot Covers. I had a little bag strapped to the rail on my climber with them rolled up in. When it would get below about 25*, I'd put them on and they worked great.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/arcticshield-insulating-boot-covers-for-men

Eventually I wore them out. So I ended up just buying a pair of 1200 gram Thinulate boots and I'm good to go.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 09/02/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Thin poly socks (like dress socks) QUALITY merino wool socks (at least 70%), and allow your feet a LITTLE room in your boots. That's what I do. My father uses battery socks, and he says they work, but his biggest complaint is the socks aren't high enough and the batter packs dig into his leg with higher boots.

The poly sock, wool sock, and breathing room is the secret. I also use cheap nylon pack boots, over sized mocks or sandals the colder it is. It is the mass of most of those boots that suck the heat out of ya. If you reach down and your footwear feels real cold to the touch because of the mass of the materials...don’t wear dat !

Same for your clothing

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/02/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't like electric or chemical socks. The big issue for me is blood flow, especially at the ankles. Most boots are too tight for me at the ankles or too loose in the feet. I would carry a pair of sitting boots ... I like Sorrel Pacs for sitting, I just can't walk in them well because they seem to set off my plantar fasciitis. Inside of them I'd go with poly inner socks and thick wool outer socks.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're wearing boots that have the goretex liner like Danners and many others, make sure you try them on with the socks you intend to wear in the field. The goretex inner boot doesn't stretch at all, so if you tried them on with light socks then decide to wear heavier socks because of the weather, your feet will be compressed by the additional thickness of socks, causing circulation to be cut off and cold feet as a result. Also, if you are one of the guys who like to lace their boots very tight, you can expect to have circulation problems in your feet and resulting cold feet.

The bright side is most of the best boots are available with substantial insulation layers these days- some with 800-1200 grams of insulation which should be fine for most any conditions with the proper fit and underlayer/socks....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the replies. I know about liner socks, outer socks, and enough room for you toes to move around. My feet are getting so big and flat in my old age (they're 12 EEEE in shoes) that finding boots big enough for my feet and two layers of socks can be a problem. I currently have a pair of Cabela's boots with 400 grams of Thinsulate. I haven't had them on since last winter, but as I remember I can't get two pairs of socks on with these boots, and they are size 13.

I bought a pair of Arctic Shield boot covers last year but they were too small. I forget what size they were, but they wouldn't fit over my hunting boots. I think I waited too long to buy them and they were only size XL, and I need XXL.

I'm still looking for recommendations of electric foot warmers if anyone has them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
All good advice. If you're in a deer stand with a floor, put a garden mat underneath your feet as a barrier from the cold floor and your feet.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
breathing room is the secret

Dead-air space will keep you warm long term. Tight = cold.

Insulation levels/amounts, brands, designs, boot height, boot material, blankets, chemicals, heated insoles/socks, etc are all very subjective. I have a friend who's feet get cold much more quickly than mine even in roughly the same gear. When I'll go non-insulated, he's mildly uncomfortable in 400gm boots.

Last edited by horse1; 09/02/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I turn my heater up a little more.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
No help on electric socks, sorry.

Did want to mention keeping feet dry to help with warmth. Use a spray antiperspirant to prevent sweating feet.
Start now for deer season.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dess
All good advice. If you're in a deer stand with a floor, put a garden mat underneath your feet as a barrier from the cold floor and your feet.

There’s still 16ft of air to deal with 😐

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m a Boot Blanket guy myself that I carry in my pack. I guess the new plug in heater socks are better, but the old ones that I used batteries were junk. About the time I needed the heat, the cold had sapped the usable life and power out of the batteries. No one talks about it, but getting in better shape right now improves your circulation and you don’t get as cold when you have better blood flow.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just looked for the Arctic Shield boot covers, and by some miracle, found them. They are size XXL and barely fit over my hunting boots. I didn't return then as I figured they might be a help even if I couldn't get them on all the way. I still like the idea of turning on or off an electric device. Getting lazy in my old age!

Thanks for the comments about wet feet getting cold easily, tight = cold, and mat under feet. I remembered those tips from last time.

Many years ago I worked as an excavator. Cold feet were a problem when running a bulldozer in wintertime. Back then I didn't know about vapor barrier socks, liner socks, or anything else. I wore Sorel pack boots with felt inner booties. They got soaked with sweat pronto and then I was miserable.

Most of my hunting has been bird hunting with a dog, so I was walking around. Even when it was 5 below in NY State, my feet were OK. Sitting in a blind or a stand, my feet get cold.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
You need warmer clothes and something to cover your head/ears/face when stationary hunting. If your deer stand doesn't have windows you can close you should install some.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How about a good pair of boots?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Same problem here. EEEE feet, so boot options are extremely limited, and I get really cold feet. Getting roomy boots is a problem when your feet are as wide as the box the boots come in. Never had a pair of boots that were truly roomy in the toe box.

The sock liner / wool sock combo is a good one, but even wearing these and insulated boots, my feet turn into ice when stand hunting. Gonna look into a pair of those boot blanket things.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Goods words from Randy.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 219 Wasp, 38 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,870
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.