Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You should try to find wider boots. I have fat feet also. I have a pair of Belleville's that are 4E but feet still get painfully cold when sitting in temps below 30. I had frost bite as a kid and cold weather is excruciating on my toes. Been thinking about these. They make them in 5E. They have a lace up style as well. I have a friend who takes his boots off at the treestand and puts on down booties which are very warm and have plenty of room to drop hand warmers in if its brutally cold.

https://www.famousfootwear.com/en-U...p+Medium_X-Wide_XX-Wide+Winter+Boot.aspx

also check out
https://www.wideshoes.com/Weather-C251.aspx?s=Featured%20ASC&ps=12&p=0

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Thanks for the replies. I know about liner socks, outer socks, and enough room for you toes to move around. My feet are getting so big and flat in my old age (they're 12 EEEE in shoes) that finding boots big enough for my feet and two layers of socks can be a problem. I currently have a pair of Cabela's boots with 400 grams of Thinsulate. I haven't had them on since last winter, but as I remember I can't get two pairs of socks on with these boots, and they are size 13.

I bought a pair of Arctic Shield boot covers last year but they were too small. I forget what size they were, but they wouldn't fit over my hunting boots. I think I waited too long to buy them and they were only size XL, and I need XXL.

I'm still looking for recommendations of electric foot warmers if anyone has them.

Last edited by JimFromTN; 09/03/20.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have chill blains on my toes from freezing them so bad when I was young. It is a never ending struggle to keep my feet warm. frown

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I maybe off on the name, but an old Bud that hunts out West and up North uses 'toasty toes' in his boots, says they keep him warm up to 8hrs of hunting at a time, think they're made by the same people that make the little hand warmer bean bags.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dealt with this forever and what I do now is get to my blind, remove the boots (usually a bit wet), put on some warm slipper- usually from inside of my coat, put them in boot covers and tuck in ends of pants.
Works better than chem warmers although having some of those in pockets doesn't suck. My blind is too small for a heater- tried em but it just burns the hell out of a small spot on my leg..

I also carry the small heavy blanket over my legs like an old maid. This has REALLY helped.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
I maybe off on the name, but an old Bud that hunts out West and up North uses 'toasty toes' in his boots, says they keep him warm up to 8hrs of hunting at a time, think they're made by the same people that make the little hand warmer bean bags.

This is what I use also if the climate calls for it. They get real warm

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by gunner500

This is what I use also if the climate calls for it. They get real warm

Called my Bud a minute ago, he laughed, Toe Warmers made by Hot Hands.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Before you buy all that schit, what are you wearing for socks and boots now? How long do you sit?

This has been a battle for me over the years. My feet sweat and then get cold. A few things I've done that have helped considerable over the last few years. Use antiperspirant on your feet. Spray or whatever. Don't tie your boots as tight. Use GOOD moisture wicking, or wool socks. You're probably over-booted as far as insulation goes. That last one sounds like its backwards but It's true. If your feet get too hot, they sweat and get too cold. As you already know.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If you really want a decent quality set of electric socks, this is a route the kids on my son's ski team go. We're pretty warm blooded and don't use them. But some of the kids and a lot of the parents who work the courses do. The matches don't get cancelled because of the cold, so they strap up pretty tight. They also use mitten/gloves made by the same company.

Warm Feet

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boot blankets.
Best use is to take off your boots, if possible, and put your sock feet in them.
Its like a sleeping bag for your feet.
Next best thing ive found is these.
https://www.herooutdoors.com/canadian-military-issue-arctic-mukluks-used/
Keep in mind they are not water proof..... but at the temps you need them...there is no water around.

dave.

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
OK, thanks again for much appreciated replies. I know about liner socks under warm socks. I may have to buy some even bigger boots or boots with more insulation. A good reason for a road trip to Cabela's in Hamburg, PA, about 110 miles from here.

I forget whether my current Cabela's boots have 400 or 600 grams of Thinsulate. Whatever it is, it's not doing the job. Maybe using the Arctic boot covers will solve the problem, and I already own them. Can't tell until it gets cold.

I just clicked on the link above "Hot Feet" and they are out of big sizes.

Last edited by Jerseyboy; 09/03/20.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Buy a $7.oo pair of poly pro SOCK LINERS and a QUALITY pair of Smartwool socks. Your troubles will be over...

You're welcome.

Thanks for the reminder! I keep misplacing my polypropylene liners, and my son needs some for hunting this year. Just ordered some for both of us.

I've also found this simple system, combined with good, waterproofed, insulated boots to be the best for me. My style of hunting inevitably involves below-zero temps combined with strenuous hiking, then sitting for long periods.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Boot blankets.
Best use is to take off your boots, if possible, and put your sock feet in them.
Its like a sleeping bag for your feet.
Next best thing ive found is these.
https://www.herooutdoors.com/canadian-military-issue-arctic-mukluks-used/
Keep in mind they are not water proof..... but at the temps you need them...there is no water around.

dave.

This.

Except I have a pair of goose down slippers in a day pack. Walk in in light boots. Switch out boots for slippers, put a handwarmer in boot blanket, and sit on stand all day long.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bought these. No cold feet in the stand last year. My Partner had the Micky Mouse boots. His feet were also warm.

https://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Snow-...;linkId=725a201811bfc02f1c683fc28bacb59d

Another suggestion is to wear light weight shoes or boots to your stand and then put the heavy ones on when you get to your stand,

Your feet sweat when walking to you stand and then when you reach your stand this sweat freezes

Last edited by andrews1958; 09/03/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
your feet will sweat and be cold because they CANNOT BREATHE... light shoes or heavy it does not matter. Wear poly pro sock liners and SMARTWOOL socks...

Some of you are trying to make this difficult and it is not

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 09/03/20.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
OK, thanks again for much appreciated replies. I know about liner socks under warm socks. I may have to buy some even bigger boots or boots with more insulation. A good reason for a road trip to Cabela's in Hamburg, PA, about 110 miles from here.

I forget whether my current Cabela's boots have 400 or 600 grams of Thinsulate. Whatever it is, it's not doing the job. Maybe using the Arctic boot covers will solve the problem, and I already own them. Can't tell until it gets cold.

I just clicked on the link above "Hot Feet" and they are out of big sizes.

Google a different place. I'm sure they're in somewhere.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
your feet will sweat and be cold because they CANNOT BREATHE... light shoes or heavy it does not matter. Wear poly pro sock liners and SMARTWOOL socks...

Some of you are trying to make this difficult and it is not

Your feet don't get cold because you hunt in SC. laugh

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They make full insole foot warmers beside just the toe warmers. Buy the Grabber brand,they are bigger. The Hothand full insole foot warmers are not big enough. About kid size.

As others have said.No cotton socks. Poly liner and quality wool or wool blend socks.

Invest in better boots rather than Cabela's knockoffs

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Boot blankets and good pac boots are what work for me in upstate NY. Pull out the liners at night to dry. I can sit all day in single digits without an issue. Always had cold feet before but like being able to layer your feet as needed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,464 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.