Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Which one and why?

For fun say .375 H&H

Mike

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 08/20/20.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
CZ because it holds 5 rounds.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Pre-64 M-70 375H&H is my choice. Accurate, reliable, well balanced. 4 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber have been enough to handle the hunting I’ve done with it. Despite the apparent popularity for 20”-22” barrels on 24HCF, I prefer the 25” barrel, with a quick detachable scope and an aperture sight.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

5 rounds plus 1 in the chamber.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone else?

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Model 70 classic for me.

1. Handling goes to Model 70, much improved by cutting and fluting barrel
2. Trigger goes to Model 70 classic
3. Safety goes to Model 70
4. Scope mounting options go to Model 70
5. Open sights go to CZ

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

5 rounds plus 1 in the chamber.

My m1917 has both beat:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

6+1 and a better safety lever...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Which one and why?

For fun say .375 H&H

Mike

Pre 64 model 70 is the only way to go on this one...^^^^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not need or want a .375 HH, but I do need and have and use/shoot pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight.

All my big bore rifles are doubles or lever guns.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I really like my M70 375...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...B0_B0F5_85447CA84645_IMG_5938.HEIC[/img]

Pretty fair shooting rifle for an old rebore!

Semper Fi
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scotty - I've always liked how you set up that 375 Winchester 70.

OP - the 550 is a great rifle, somehow feels a bit heavy to me? Not that the factory Winchester 70 is svelte.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either, and BSA has a unique and useful alternative.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AFIK, the CZ has both a one-piece bolt and the undercut groove for the extractor collar that causes it to dig in deeper the harder you pull. Post-64s lack both, and some have crappy steel extractors. The bolt handle can be welded and the extractor replaced if needed.

A pre-64 would be awesome, but likely costly in .375, as would the Browning High Powers you didn't mention, but that are also available sometimes.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I really like my M70 375...

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...B0_B0F5_85447CA84645_IMG_5938.HEIC[/img]

Pretty fair shooting rifle for an old rebore!

Pre 64 H&H action is the way to do it..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cascade
Scotty - I've always liked how you set up that 375 Winchester 70.

OP - the 550 is a great rifle, somehow feels a bit heavy to me? Not that the factory Winchester 70 is svelte.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either, and BSA has a unique and useful alternative.

Guy

I'm like Scotty, in that I like the pre 64's. The H&H receivers are one of my favorites to build on. I sold one 375 H&H to gunner here and it is a damn tack driver. He took that rifle to Africa a few years ago and used it successfully on some African big game. Here's that rifle before I sold it to him:
I would pack it around in the elk woods. It's probably a bit big for elk, but I've heard it works just fine. The most recent 375 I had was a pre war. I picked it up for a great deal here locally and turned around and sold it:

The pre 64's feed so smoothly and always shoot accurately (speaking big bore 375's). My experience with the CZ550 was fairly short lived (had and used it for a few years). The rifle was a very accurate rifle, but did not handle very well. Mine was chambered in 9.3x62mm, but was basically the same exact gun they build the 375's on:
The sob thought it was a varmint rifle, it was amazingly accurate. Like I mentioned in an early post though, I hated the safety lever. I used this rifle in the field and that's where I find out whether or not it earns its place in the stable:
Thats where my m1917's shine. It might just be me because I shoot lefty, but for a left handed shooter shooting a right handed rifle, nothing feels better than a m1917 safety lever. However, it's not just the safety lever i dislike on the CZ. Its its poor handling characteristics. I can say the same thing for the Interarms MKX rifles. They just don't balance and point the way a good rifle is supposed to. I've sent damn accurate rifles down the road because they just don't feel right in the woods. A good rifle should feel like an extension of your arm, point like second nature and operation should be carried out without thought. That's the way the m1917 is for me, even though it is a "unique" alternative. If one were to find a prime condition sporter m1917, they could have a damn nice 375 made out of it. The enfield is a very robust action that can house some very big magnum cartridges. My 308 Norma magnum is built on a very nice sporter m1917 (BSA model E):
As is one of my 30-06 rifles.

Recently I saw a couple 375 H&H rifles locally that were around $1,100.00. One was a beautiful Kimber and the other a low comb pre 64 model 70 that had been engraved. The rifle was professionally engraved by a smith in Alaska (so the story went), but that greatly affects the value of the rifle. In my opinion, the rifle was priced too high at $1,100.00. I'm thinking if it sits on the shelf for another month or so, the shop owner may be more inclined to sell it cheaper.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God help me when I drag my lowly stainless classic in a 375 H&H to kodiak in October for my bear hunt. Will you all say a prayer for me...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
God help me when I drag my lowly stainless classic in a 375 H&H to kodiak in October for my bear hunt. Will you all say a prayer for me...

Yeah, don't get eaten... Poor bear.. He'd probably spit you out on the first bite.. You know there is noting wrong with a classic stainless.. Should get the job done just fine, if the nut behind the butt does his part... One question though, did you shorten the barrel on that rifle, like DF did with his? 22" with irons would be cool...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah, don't get eaten... Poor bear.. He'd probably spit you out on the first bite.. You know there is noting wrong with a classic stainless.. Should get the job done just fine, if the nut behind the butt does his part... One question though, did you shorten the barrel on that rifle, like DF did with his? 22" with irons would be cool...

Nope, rifle feels fine.. but what do I know I’m just a dumb Alaskan trying to survive..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Nope, rifle feels fine.. but what do I know I’m just a dumb Alaskan trying to survive..

Maybe try fishing?

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I really liked my BRNO 602 375 H&H (not near as clubby as the CZ) but sent it down the road after acquiring a stainless NH rifle that had been chopped, fluted and bedded into a Pound'r. I took the latter on an unsuccessful twelve day brown bear hunt in SE Alaska. I did swap out the extractor for a Williams.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Maybe try fishing?

Why is that what you are doing??? Fishing John day river for some catfish?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (160user, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,138
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.