Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Finally come to the point in life where I've collected too much stuff and even rifles. At least more than ill practically ever use. I have my first which is an Remington 7mm mag left hand my parents bought me for Christmas when I was 17 and ill always keep it. Other than that I tend to actually use my left handed Ruger GSR 308, Ruger compact lefty 338RCM, 30-30 levergun, 45-70 levergun. Those really get the bulk of field use.

Looking at it I have some neat military bolt action old war rifles I like to take out and blast away with and appreciate the historical aspect of them. They truly are pieces of history with stories to tell. I also enjoy my various Sharps, Rugers, and other single shot rifles. They're great fun but see little actual hunting use if any. Im also deeply amazed by my Winchester 1895 rifle, my various 1886 and 71 model leverguns and my Savage 99. I really want to think I'm going to be found afield with my model 71 348 but it just doesn't happen even though being a left handwd fella its a perfect rifle for me. I even have multiples of them.

I guess I'm taking a realistic look at paring things down and keep fewer rifles and reducing the multiples of any particular model. I really like playing with different historical and classic rifles and love Mauser but the reality is im left handed and I have a few select left hand bolt rifles and leverguns that really suit me and the other right hand stuff I have and redundancies are of no use. Most of this stuff has appreciated a good deal since I've gotten ahold of it. Maybe its time to cash it out and put the funds to an hunting trip in a location ive always wanted to go and give a try. Maybe keep one model 71 and one 1886 and then my using stock and call it a day.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
so are you going to list them, or wait for questions about details?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd encourage you to trip some of them and go on a hunt you have always wanted to do. At the end they are just things and when you are to old to use them you will appreciate the memory of the hunt more than owning the stuff.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
+1 to what Mohawk said. If you have kids / nieces / nephews who are into guns you could gift some of them along as well. It is too easy to end up with a lot of stuff we don't ever use because it's cool and then as we age wonder what the hell to do with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got kids/grand-kids/nephews/nieces you can pass the unwanted rifles down to? I'm looking forward to the day when my grandkids are old enough to receive some of my firearms.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mohawk
I'd encourage you to trip some of them and go on a hunt you have always wanted to do. At the end they are just things and when you are to old to use them you will appreciate the memory of the hunt more than owning the stuff.
This. I remember trips/experiences more than the things.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think many of us can relate, been collecting for 50 years and have only sold a few.....My plan is that my hobby in retirement will be paring down my collection to a number I can realistically leave to my son (and a few to my daughter)…...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've been culling since spring. This is a great time to do it, as many things are selling for higher prices than they would "normally."

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I had the same epiphany a couple years ago.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I think it easy to get in way to deep in collecting just like every other hobby. I have had many and still buy and sell a few and there still a few I’d like to try. But know a family friend up here with over 600 old Winchester’s. He’s 78 this year and has had his body rebuilt several times. He has said several times he wishes he woulda started selling stuff off decades ago and doing some trips while he could. Now he worried about leaving all for his wife to have to deal with.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm doing exactly that this fall on a moose hunt and selling off some stuff this winter when things slow down.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am in the same boat.No one to pass them on to that would enjoy them. Besides firearms, I have hunting and camping gear from the early 60's thru today. I constantly upgraded as better stuff came out .Now an entire shed is filled with it.
The other day, I looked at my ammo inventory. I would be hard pressed to shoot it al up before I die. It is all reloads so I can't sell it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm there myself. Two sons that I can leave them to like guns but not into it as much as I. Must consider my options.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pointer
This. I remember trips/experiences more than the things.

Spot on pointer! 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thinking about selling 50 or so Savage lever guns here.

LOL
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Find select people who you care about and gift them, unless you absolutely need the money from sales. A gifted gun to the right person will be a treasure for a lifetime, and will hold more good memories than a single Bucket List hunt.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dont have much and already figured theres stuff that needs to go. My dad has a fair bit and ill proly keep a half dozen of his and dump the rest.....if he has anything to pass along.

Its just stuff.

Worked my whole life. Get my back fixed and im gonna go blast critters elsewhere.

Dont need much for that.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/03/20.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have too many, but not ready to cut down yet!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I decided a few years ago to start thinning out my collection. I picked several firearms that I knew my sons had expressed interest in and gave the guns to them. I wanted to see them enjoy the guns while I was still here and not in the hereafter. I've done it several times since and haven't regretted it once...I have gone to the safe to get a pistol a time or two and realized that I had given it to one of my sons and just smiled...I'm going to keep doing it. Kind of cool going into my sons house and seeing the old Remington Rolling Block leaning against his fireplace mantel.

Harry
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been trying to thin the herd. I given a few to family and sold several. So what just happened? Sitting around home on the web, and I just added anther one. A Steyr Classic Mannlicher in 6.5X55 with a full stock. Could not resist.. Not the new one, but one several years old NIB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,479
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.