Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Went in to get my Real ID- current lic expires end of month. I'm going to be gone by then, maybe up to a month.

Office only open for 3 - 2hour blocks daily (Web site says 9-5). By appointment only.

Went home, got on line. No appointments available for at least 3 months. That I could see. Maybe poor internet skills, dunno.

Screw it- I'll just get a re-issue "standard" on line. I have a passport for air travel.

Nope - for some reason not eligible..

Google up the private DVM folks on state web site.. Didn't look closely enough - only on the state web site. Address given there is on Sterling Hwy- I glanced that way driving by earlier , and I thought it was a different sign. Called number listed. No answer. Location is listed accurately elsewhere, but not on state web site. "open 2am to 7am. WTF????

Drove back into town to check. Yep . Not there. Guy smoking a cig told me they had moved over to Spur Hwy "next to 5 Star Realty"

Drove that way- didn't see a sign fo 5-Star (it's miniscule), or for the private business Express DMV (it's minuscule). And there are no street numbers on buildings along there.

When I knew I was past it, I stopped at a strip mall for directions. They told me "it's a log cabin on a little hill"

Drove back down - that's the fur place. He told me " brown building next to Frojos". Now that I can find!

The building is blue, not brown, with a 12 by 18 inch sign on it, but it IS next to the restaurant.

OK- I'm on a roll here. 10 munutes to 5. Sign says open to 6. Hot dog!

I had grabbed my Medicare card out of the files instead of the Social Security card.....

In and out in 10 minutes yesterday(the next day). smile

A mere $71 and a half-day later.

So how is your week going?

Last edited by las; 08/26/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just don’t eat at Frosos.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
My son just got his DL 3 weeks ago. After he took the test from a private Drivers Ed. Co. the wife took him straight to the DMV and got his license. She was quite surprised how fast it went m, as there was over a month wait to get a Driver's test through the DMV.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In Fairbanks I always avoided the actual DMV office if I could and used the contract place on Old Steese, UMV I believe it is called. It costs more, but is way faster to get things done.... no sitting around for a couple of hours like at the DMV.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A government operation. What could go wrong?

NRA Patron
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,379
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.