Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This rifle has been a bit fussy with powders. Will not shoot anything with 760 or IMR4350. Have had some good results with Seafire's 3031 loads and 160gr NPs so will pursue that some more.

Shot these 4 shot groups this morning in my 257Rigby (7x57). Two distinctive groups at each set. Other loads have not shown this pattern.

Question?? ....... What would you suggest to improve these promising loads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
It just might be a scope problem. If that were my rifle, I'd switch scopes first to eliminate that as the problem. Naturally all the bedding and scope screws should be checked before removing the barreled action from the stock to check for problems there. I've had scope do just what your rifle is doing which is why I suspect that as the cause.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
SC:

Do they bounce back and forth, or is it two or three close, then two or three close only a couple inches apart?

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your scope screws are tight and everything is solid with the scope, it would look like a bedding issue to me...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think it's a scope issue or bedding as it's not a problem with other loads. Will swap out to another scope to be sure.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
SC:

Do they bounce back and forth, or is it two or three close, then two or three close only a couple inches apart?

RM

It has done it a bit in other loads once in a while but not a pronounced as that. This rifle has been a bit of a trial for loads. Maybe another scope is a good idea;

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I just hate it when a rifle does this crap because it can be caused by a single issue or a combination of causes. The only thing to do is to start the process of elimination. I'd start with the scope. Then bedding. Next, I'd make sure my ammo was straight. Please don't take offense, but I'd take a look at my bench technique too.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by super T
I just hate it when a rifle does this crap because it can be caused by a single issue or a combination of causes. The only thing to do is to start the process of elimination. I'd start with the scope. Then bedding. Next, I'd make sure my ammo was straight. Please don't take offense, but I'd take a look at my bench technique too.

- I'm going to swap out the scope tonight.
- Bbl is free floated. Might slip a card under the forend tip and see what happens.
- Ammo was sized with collet dies and seated with Forster BR die.Seated 0.020" off the lands.
- No offence taken. Everything needs to be considered. Forend supported with Caldwell rest. Rear sand bag.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seating depth, mounts/rings and scope.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've been working with a 7x57 that seemed to really not like some (none) of the power / bullet combos I'd been trying, including IMR4350, Ramshot Hunter, and IMR4451. I finally got some good groups with 150gr NPT and RL17. Might be worth a try for you as you search for the right combo.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm going to check seating depth in the morning at the range. I don't think it's the scope as it does't group like that with other loads, but never say never.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Send it back to the guy you gave $10,000 to for it. Seriously. Or, get rid of that bullet and use the 140gr TSX/TTSX and RL 16. You likely have one heck of a sloppy chamber, with a gaping throat.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 09/05/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Switch powder & bullets. We are getting superb accuracy with 139gr Hornady GMX & BTSP, powder is RL19.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m with Sakohunter, 140 grain bullets and R19. The 139 gr. Hornady and 140 gr. Partitions are a couple of my favorites. When I get two groups like that it is generally from seating too close to the lands. I back Partitions off at least .050.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too would first go to scope or mounting issues.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
]
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Send it back to the guy you gave $10,000 to for it. Seriously. Or, get rid of that bullet and use the 140gr TSX/TTSX and RL 16. You likely have one heck of a sloppy chamber, with a gaping throat.

I have some 120gr TTSX here that will be next if it doesn't get sorted out. As for the chamber, it was cut with a brand new match reamer with shorter throat.

Originally Posted by jimdgc
When I get two groups like that it is generally from seating too close to the lands. I back Partitions off at least .050.

Thanks, that is exactly what I am doing tomorrow.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yes,

If everything is tight it's time to start playing with seating depth, specifically seating the bullet deeper.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by RevMike
SC:

RM

It has done it a bit in other loads once in a while but not a pronounced as that. This rifle has been a bit of a trial for loads. Maybe another scope is a good idea;

Did the smithy do any testing before sending it to you?

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It looks to me like No 4 might have been wanting to come together. I had something similar happen with one of my rifles, and a little more coal on the fire tightened it up nicely. Granted, that was with a 175-gr RN, but the initial pattern was similar. I'm curious to see how this is resolved for you. I've seen this very same pattern several times before.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Did the smithy do any testing before sending it to you?

Hey Dave .... Yes he did do some shooting with some PRVI factory loads and some 160gr Speers. He was satisfied with the Speers but reported the PRVIs didn't shoot well.

I did get a deer load with 120gr BTs & Varget but want to use these 160s at short notice for a moose hunt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.