Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I got an email from Brownell advertising a Howa 1500 barreled action in 6mm Creedmoor for $249.99 retail, while supplies last. Brownell's regular retail price is listed as $466.99.

Blue CM with a 22" non-threaded #2 contour sporter barrel.

I'm not in the market for another 6mm CM, having already purchased an RAR-P earlier this year, but for under $300 delivered I thought that this deal might interest someone here at The Campfire.

HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It Already DID.

Originally Posted by JLimbo
Was thinking of thinning the herd and not buying any more rifles but that damned Brownells offered the Howa 6 man bun at just $249 for the barreled action. Now another project. If it shoots when done and it should my wife will probably steal it from me.

From This Hunting Rifle forum.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I got an email from Brownell advertising a Howa 1500 barreled action in 6mm Creedmoor for $249.99 retail, while supplies last. Brownell's regular retail price is listed as $466.99.

I'm not in the market for another 6mm CM, having already purchased an RAR-P earlier this year, but for under $300 delivered I thought that this deal might interest someone here at The Campfire.

Thanks for the heads-up, but "supplies" are down by at least one.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348

You guys are a bad influence on youth. 😁

What stock are you thinking?

God Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

That's always been my intention.

Well, I already ordered a Griptonite stock from Weatherby- $139, after perusing GB and ebay and here, of course. This will never be super light, and I already have a FC and a .243 Alpine anyway, so I went with easy and satisfactory, and fairly cheap. The Griptonites fit me well and have a nice thin grip. Will keep my eye out for an Alpine take-off.

Not sure about the scope yet. Have some spares, and a Super Chicken I use for proving that other scopes are bad. Also have an illuminated 8x56 Hawke that would make a great evening sitter.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

That's always been my intention.

Well, I already ordered a Griptonite stock from Weatherby- $139, after perusing GB and ebay and here, of course. This will never be super light, and I already have a FC and a .243 Alpine anyway, so I went with easy and satisfactory, and fairly cheap. The Griptonites fit me well and have a nice thin grip. Will keep my eye out for an Alpine take-off.

Not sure about the scope yet. Have some spares, and a Super Chicken I use for proving that other scopes are bad. Also have an illuminated 8x56 Hawke that would make a great evening sitter.

Thanks Pappy. The Weatherby looks like a good option. I see other options are Boyd's or Hogue or a chasis type stock. Would you say the Weatherby is a stiffer stock than the Hogue? But not as stiff as a Boyd's laminate?

God Bless America
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just tried to order one. It said in stock but as I was checking out it updated my cart and removed the item. Now it's out of stock. Looks like I barely missed it.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know about stiffer, but it's slimmer through the grip and forend. The rubberized Hogue on a .308 I had picked up all sorts of forest duff and lint. Heavy, and bulky, and the hooked grip felt awkward to me. The Weatherby Griptonite is one of the better factory Tupperware stocks. The similar Weatherby on the Walmart Specials looked similar, but wasn't as nice, though I never compared them side-by-side.

For $140, it's workable until something better comes along. Second-hand stocks I found here and there were nearly as much and well, second-hand.

Pretty good deal altogether; less than $450 total, delivered, for a rifle a cut above the usual bargain guns. Hell, the barreled action is cheaper than rebarreling my Alpine would be. Like to see the same deal on a 7-08.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, I was just able to order another.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't know about stiffer, but it's slimmer through the grip and forend. The rubberized Hogue on a .308 I had picked up all sorts of forest duff and lint. Heavy, and bulky, and the hooked grip felt awkward to me. The Weatherby Griptonite is one of the better factory Tupperware stocks. The similar Weatherby on the Walmart Specials looked similar, but wasn't as nice, though I never compared them side-by-side.

For $140, it's workable until something better comes along. Second-hand stocks I found here and there were nearly as much and well, second-hand.

Pretty good deal altogether; less than $450 total, delivered, for a rifle a cut above the usual bargain guns. Hell, the barreled action is cheaper than rebarreling my Alpine would be. Like to see the same deal on a 7-08.

The only differences that I could tell between the green/gray Griptonite stocks and the all black ones is the color of the plastic that was used to make them and the grip pads on the V2 Select style were rigid rather than cushioned. Neither of those differences made any practical/functional difference for me, at least not enough to go to the expense of swapping the stock out on the V2 Select in 243 that I bought during the Walmart close-out sale in 2018.

If you're not in a hurry, new and slightly used V2 take-off stocks regularly show up on eBay for around $50. I strongly dislike the Hogue stocks that come on the less expensive Howa 1500s and replace them with new, old stock, walnut stocks from GPC or with B&C Medalist style stocks.

If a person was looking for a SA 1500 action to build around, he/she could buy this one and sell the barrel for $150 or so, assuming that the barrel could be removed without damaging it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure that the cheap Howa stocks are really Hogues, though they are shaped like them. I definitely don't want another rubbery one. The Griptonites have the soft inserts in the grip and forend and as I remember anyway, seemed decidedly slimmer in the grip than the similar, non-insert stock on my $250 Walmart .243. Regardless, the Griptonite is comfortable and puts my head in the right place. Don't want to wait on a possible bargain on a stock I don't really want. Have a Medalist on a Mauser and it's pretty heavy and thick and spendy. Had a Boyds on a previous Howa, and it was a tank as well. If this one's a shooter, I'll consider a lighter upgrade later.

Rail on the way, and the SS is ready to go.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure that the cheap Howa stocks are really Hogues, though they are shaped like them. I definitely don't want another rubbery one. The Griptonites have the soft inserts in the grip and forend and as I remember anyway, seemed decidedly slimmer in the grip than the similar, non-insert stock on my $250 Walmart .243. Regardless, the Griptonite is comfortable and puts my head in the right place. Don't want to wait on a possible bargain on a stock I don't really want. Have a Medalist on a Mauser and it's pretty heavy and thick and spendy. Had a Boyds on a previous Howa, and it was a tank as well. If this one's a shooter, I'll consider a lighter upgrade later.

Rail on the way, and the SS is ready to go.

I like the V2 Griptonite stocks and have said and posted often that I think that they are the best design of injection molded stocks that any manufacturer is currently putting on their rifles.

I like to put McM stocks on my top tier rifles and less expensive stocks on lower tier rifles. The B&C Weatherby style Medalist cost about one-half of what a comparable McM runs and, at least for me, is good enough for second and third tier rifles. Stocky's sells them for around $300 delivered and they regularly show up on eBay for between $150 and $200. If a person likes walnut stocks, GPC still has new, old stock, short action 1500 stocks that were made for S&W years ago when they imported Howa 1500s that are priced under $200. I rather like the 1700LS style with the schnabled forearm tip that GPC sells for around $160 and put one of them on a 1500 in 6.5 CM that I bought from Whittaker's back in 2016.

I keep the stocks that I take off rifles and store them in the boxes that the rifles came in so that I can put them back into their original factory configuration, assuming no other modification were made, if it comes time to sell them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I tried again about an hour later and it looks like it went through. I've had brownells cancel orders after they're placed for being out of stock so I hope it actually shows up. I have a fieldcraft in 6mm Creedmoor and I love it. I also have over 1000 new starline 6 Creedmoor brass so I figure this might make a good truck gun. My 18" threaded howa 308 may get kicked out of its mdt chassis.

Bb

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I just ordered one, and it went through. I have a empty Howa Alpine stock just waiting for a barreled action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'd had an empty Alpine stock it woulda been filled long ago with one of the LW Howa 6.5s Brownells sells.

Still, this current deal comes in less than that 6.5 barreled action alone. Ain't gonna fuss over half a millimeter (and half a pound!). The 6 is about perfect for me. I can always rob the Bansner off my .243.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If I'd had an empty Alpine stock it woulda been filled long ago with one of the LW Howa 6.5s Brownells sells.

Still, this current deal comes in less than that 6.5 barreled action alone. Ain't gonna fuss over half a millimeter (and half a pound!). The 6 is about perfect for me. I can always rob the Bansner off my .243.

I'll probably loose close to half a pound when I cut the barrel and have it threaded for a suppressor. It'll probably loose 4" of barrel.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I keep the stocks that I take off rifles and store them in the boxes that the rifles came in so that I can put them back into their original factory configuration, assuming no other modification were made, if it comes time to sell them.

Smart. And thinking ahead!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I tried again about an hour later and it looks like it went through. I've had brownells cancel orders after they're placed for being out of stock so I hope it actually shows up. I have a fieldcraft in 6mm Creedmoor and I love it. I also have over 1000 new starline 6 Creedmoor brass so I figure this might make a good truck gun. My 18" threaded howa 308 may get kicked out of its mdt chassis.

Bb

I ordered one way late compared to all you and a buddy did as well. We both got confirmation emails stating that our order was shipping. So I guess we just slid in there at the right time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I snagged one as well and the order seems to be progressing.

Now I need to sort out a stock for it. Pretty hard to pass up for 250. Even with a McMillan it shouldn’t break the bank.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,517
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.