-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
not only do i reload 223/556 but i form 300bo, and 25-45 sharps. lots of work but lots of satisfaction too.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Are a bunch of ambitious MOFOS!

Just got done depriming about 250 pcs of range pickup - figure I can reload it for blasting ammo with that box of 55gr FMJ blems I recently picked up. But jeez is this looking to become work. Now I need to remove the crimp and trim and......

Anybody that is doing this to resell this crap deserves every stinkin' penny they are asking for it!

Kaiser Norton

I agree, that's why I refuse to pick up LC and the like. I only pick up commercial brass, but then you also need to be aware of which ones crimp their primers. I've had good luck with PMC and FC range pickup, but have found some FC with crimped primers as well. I toss those in the scrap bin..

I don't probably reload as much as most on here does, but that LC brass is very good brass. I ended up getting a primer pocket reamer that screws into my Frankford Arsenal brass prep machine and the crimped primers are really no more trouble to deal with than just cleaning normal primer pockets. But I do understand if people think they aren't worth the trouble. I've been prepping about 50 -100 a day every morning when I get home from work. Kind of helps me unwind.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Agreed. I wouldn’t bend over to pick up a piece of brass for what some sell it for.

Glad for you that you have more money than sense, if it wasn't for guys like you I wouldn't have the ammo supply I do. No, it don't bother me at all to reload or pick up your brass. But god damn it quit being a cheap ass and stop buying that steel cased crap. Have a nice day. MB

+1.

+2. I picked up 1200 pcs of good commercial 223 rem brass a few years ago and I'm still shooting that chidt. Works great, produces very accurate loads and the brass is FREE!!!!! Why not pick it up...??

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
There will be someone come along shortly saying we are stupid for picking up and using range brass because his buddy blew his face off or something along those lines. I say bullchidt. If his buddy knew what he was doing, it would have never fu cking happened...

What tumbler media are you using if you don't mind me asking. I've been using corn cob media I probably bought a large supply of 20 years ago and my brass never looks that good.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Heck yes I reload it! I picked up some Norma 223 brass a couple of months ago. I loaded it for my BIL's bolt action. I bought a Dillon 600 primer pocket swager.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Been loading it even when it was cheap to buy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reloading .223/5.56 ?? Like a possessed mad man. Let the revolution begin.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Agreed. I wouldn’t bend over to pick up a piece of brass for what some sell it for.

Glad for you that you have more money than sense, if it wasn't for guys like you I wouldn't have the ammo supply I do. No, it don't bother me at all to reload or pick up your brass. But god damn it quit being a cheap ass and stop buying that steel cased crap. Have a nice day. MB

Tell it.

Lol. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I order the RCBS primer pocket swagging Combo2, will I hate myself in the morning for cheeping out?

38 bucks vs 110 for the Dillon.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Kenneth
If I order the RCBS primer pocket swagging Combo2, will I hate myself in the morning for cheeping out?

38 bucks vs 110 for the Dillon.

Yes, and I say that only because I have the RCBS and don't even bother to use it, because I still have to shave brass after running cases through.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, as many have commented above. It is slow and tedious and after swaging many of the cases will still need to be chamfered. If you're going to cheap out use a drill and a primer pocket reamer like the Hornady.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, as many have commented above. It is slow and tedious and after swaging many of the cases will still need to be chamfered. If you're going to cheap out use a drill and a primer pocket reamer like the Hornady.

I believe the RCBS does chamfer in the same step?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the original RCBS swager and it didn't do a good job of completely removing the crimp. Maybe the newer model will work better.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No, not yet but gearing up for it.

Hadn't thought about, but, with crimped primers do I need anything besides FL die, such as depriming in a separate opperation? Need spare pins?

(Got the crimp removal plan covered.)

I've avoided this until a certain price point which has become a reality!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Buy the Dillon 600 and save in the long run. I didn't. Gave the RCBS kit to a friend that just started reloading and bought the Dillon. The Dillon is much better IME.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
No, not yet but gearing up for it.

Hadn't thought about, but, with crimped primers do I need anything besides FL die, such as depriming in a separate opperation? Need spare pins?

(Got the crimp removal plan covered.)

I've avoided this until a certain price point which has become a reality!

Boomer, IME they usually come out easily. Sometimes it seems the foreign brass is crimped heavier, or that might be my imagination.

Spare pins are never a bad idea though.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have been working on reloading a bunch of my range pick-ups for the increasingly likely SHTF Scenario.

How do you guys decide on a powder charge when running spherical propellants?

Start loads? Halfway between start & max?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I prepped a thousand pieces of LC brass, laboriously one at a time, loaded them with the CFE-223/55 Hornady the AR likes (on a single stage press no less), packed them in ammo cans and stashed them away for a rainy day. Haven't touched the AR in a couple years now. Actually thinking about selling the thing. If push comes to shove I think I'm more comfy with my Garand anyway. I'm too old and gimpy to run and gun with an AR- I'll hang back and lay down cover fire for those who can.😁

Most of my .223 shooting is with a Browning single shot. For that I stick with Lapua brass, Berger bullets and load with LE Wilson straight line dies in an arbor press. Takes all evening to load a couple boxes, but the dividend comes at the bench when that rifle regularly delivers insanely small groups.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I prepped a thousand pieces of LC brass, laboriously one at a time, loaded them with the CFE-223/55 Hornady the AR likes (on a single stage press no less), packed them in ammo cans and stashed them away for a rainy day. Haven't touched the AR in a couple years now. Actually thinking about selling the thing. If push comes to shove I think I'm more comfy with my Garand anyway. I'm too old and gimpy to run and gun with an AR- I'll hang back and lay down cover fire for those who can.😁

Most of my .223 shooting is with a Browning single shot. For that I stick with Lapua brass, Berger bullets and load with LE Wilson straight line dies in an arbor press. Takes all evening to load a couple boxes, but the dividend comes at the bench when that rifle regularly delivers insanely small groups.

An AR and 1000 rounds of ammo would make for quite the package deal right now! I'm sure you could at least recoup for the loading time.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by efw
How do you guys decide on a powder charge when running spherical propellants? Start loads? Halfway between start & max?

Depends on what I'm trying to do. If I need NATO-spec ballistics I buy the ammo. JMO, trying to duplicate M193 strikes me as a fool's errand. Some of my surplus chronos 3400 fps from a 20". Not going to try that with bulk once-fired brass. For MGs, plinking, and nothing I'd want to get hit with ammo a starting to middle charge behind a 55 gr fmj is gtg. As for which powder, tough to beat H-335 behind 55 gr fmjs. 24 to 25 gr will reliably cycle any gun I'd bet my life upon.

748, BLC-2 would get the nod for 62s and up.

Old fart such as I am, not up on the latest/greatest copper fouling removing, temp-insensitive, cleans your dentures while shooting powders. Maybe they really are better?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I did classic load work up for my bolt gun, found accuracy in it and tested in the AR's; accuracy and function were both good enough for my purposes. IME 95% of maximum has been a good place to start.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.