Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ive been shooting for 40 years, hunting for 37, and reloading for 29. I'm a meticulous note taker. I have books and books of notes on load data, range sessions, rifle DOPE, etc. I started with a notebook for each rifle and a section for each bullet. Over the years rifles have come and gone, sections on some bullets have overflowed as new powders become available, and now I have a pile of paper the size of a small car in the corner of the shop. Does anyone have any tips for organizing reloading notes either by hand or electronically?. Is there any software available? There probably isn't much hope for the old stuff. Moving forward it would be nice to be able to enter data in some searchable format, maybe have it linked to an image of a target shot with that load... Do we have any programmers here?

------------------------
John
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just keep mine in a simple Microsoft Word file. Delete the information when you sell a rifle, edit it if you add a new load for a particular rifle, etc.

I don't think it requires any special software or apps. I just record the bullet, powder charge, brass, primer, seating depth, and the die set up for sizing. Then add the velocity and relative accuracy. Doesn't take much time or effort.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use excel spreadsheets for the load data, one workbook for each caliber and separate pages for each rifle.
If you’re familiar with excel I’d be happy to send you a copy of what I use to see if it would work for you; just shoot me a PM.
It’s pretty easy to customize the sheets to whatever you need.
For the rifle and scope dope I’m still using notebooks.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Excel would work. I’ll send you a pm. I don’t know much about setting up a template but if Inhave something to work from Incan use it.

------------------------
John
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I write up a range report and send an email.... with the words "range report" in the email title.
That is a searchable database.

After a lifetime of writing up lab reports on electronics development... it is just like being a work.

If I want to post some of my data on a gun forum, I can just clipboard and paste.

e.g.
Sun, Apr 8, 2018, 8:38 PM
to Daniel

I was at the local 22 yard range.
Got a 0.84" 5 shot group with CB shorts

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
I just keep mine in a simple Microsoft Word file. Delete the information when you sell a rifle, edit it if you add a new load for a particular rifle, etc.

I don't think it requires any special software or apps. I just record the bullet, powder charge, brass, primer, seating depth, and the die set up for sizing. Then add the velocity and relative accuracy. Doesn't take much time or effort.

"Delete the information"?

Sorry, but I quit deleting handloading information long ago--and still keep almost all of it on paper, including paper targets. There's always something rediscover, even with such "antique" data.

My one regret is that I did not record even more data in the beginning. These days it all includes the scope, mount, shooting conditions (temperature, wind direction, chronograph, light, etc. etc. etc.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

. . .My one regret is that I did not record even more data in the beginning. These days it all includes the scope, mount, shooting conditions (temperature, wind direction, chronograph, light, etc. etc. etc.

The most important step ^ ^ ^ of reloading IMO

The man that taught me to load told me it was
extremely important to keep a written record of
everything you do. The people I've taught to load
were told the same thing

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ji,m Carmichel taught me to save every target. There's a LOT you can learn from them, especially if you record everything else, even years after they were shot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I keep everything in a single tab in a spreadsheet, with columns that let me filter out specific rifle/cartridge using the standard built-in Excel filter function. Even though I keep backups I'll printout the whole page every now and again as a hardcopy backup.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I use excel spreadsheets for the load data, one workbook for each caliber and separate pages for each rifle.
If you’re familiar with excel I’d be happy to send you a copy of what I use to see if it would work for you; just shoot me a PM.
It’s pretty easy to customize the sheets to whatever you need.
For the rifle and scope dope I’m still using notebooks.

+1.

If you go a couple steps further and take pictures of your targets, load them on a computer you can hyperlink cells in Excel and click the link to see the pic of the target. Keeps a record of the target without having to store piles of paper. Make a backup copy and never worry about losing data.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My system may seem a little crude to some, but it works for me; just wish I had started doing it in the mid-'60s when I began handloading. Thirty years ago, I began recording everything in notebooks. Periodically, I'll transfer the most basic of information to a 4" x 6" index card file that's broken down by cartridge.

There are two card files, one for rifle cartridges and one for handgun cartridges. The only subsection is for cartridges that use both cast and jacketed bullets; I separate the two types as cast data will contain additional information over jacketed bullets (different alloys and bullet diameters).

I use the card files mostly, going to the notebooks only if I need more detailed information. I'm not a target saver, but I record the particulars.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm the world's worst. My "notes" mostly consist of labels on cartridge boxes, and you know what happens to them. I do keep a lot of targets with notes written on them, but they're tossed loosely in a plastic tub.

I know I'm no good, and trying to get better. I have started recording the CBTO along with the OAL on those labels since I got one of those Hornady Thingys, which is a lot easier to use than the hex-nut device I used before.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ji,m Carmichel taught me to save every target. There's a LOT you can learn from them, especially if you record everything else, even years after they were shot.

This is exactly how I store my load data. As targets. With new technology, I photograph as well as store them and post my photographs to folders in my “notes” on my iPhone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I once saved targets in 3 ring binders with the pertinent info written on them...... Until I got too many. Digital photography & computers took care of that problem. Got a folder on the computer for targets with a sub folder for every gun. So much easier to go back to research, review & compare stuff. Almost makes me feel like some kind of tech guru.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

They'll have to pry my 3 ring notebooks from my cold dead hands.

And like JB, a notebook makes it easier to punch some holes and add targets to the load data I have written down.. I've never figured out how to stuff a target into a computer........and retrieve it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Casey,

I have also never figured out how to add the sometimes necessary amendments and side-notes to a computer program.

Have also lost some computer info over the decades, whether due to crashes, changes in programs, or whatever. I may be a Luddite, but do NOT totally trust "the cloud," or back-up hard drives, though they have saved considerable info.

I do trust the thousands of pages of written data and targets in my line-up of 3" loose-leaf folders, and have learned how to organize them so it's all reasonably accessible. But as Eileen often points out, I am one of the most OCD people she knows. (She freely admits that it takes one to know one. She also keeps both computer and written records of the hundreds--thousands?--of game recipes she's developed over the years.)

We also still keep the tens of thousands of slides we took before going totally digital almost 20 years ago--along with the slide-scanner we bought at that time, and the old computer necessary to run it. The slides and scanner have also saved us considerable time every year.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Casey,

I do trust the thousands of pages of written data and targets in my line-up of 3" loose-leaf folders, and have learned how to organize them so it's all reasonably accessible. But as Eileen often points out, I am one of the most OCD people she knows. (She freely admits that it takes one to know one. She also keeps both computer and written records of the hundreds--thousands?--of game recipes she's developed over the years.)

And I'm glad Eileen turned some of that recipe data into cookbooks! And now that makes me hungry.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.