Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Gear: rifle 26" plus suppressor, 7mm RM, 1in8", Hornady 180 ELD-M, Sig Kilo 3000 BDX, Kestrel 5700, LabRadar, 3-12 Bushnell LRTSi, 20 MOA mounts. Zero at 100 yards. Will use the standard AB solver of the Kestrel, upgrade to Elite if needed. (Also will run Shooter App).

Goal, realistic, deer, elk, antelope dope to 800. Dope to 1 mile. 3800-8000', -20 to 90F. I'd like to achieve 1.5 moa at 800, 12" steel.

To start, velocity. Load developed previously, about 2915 IIRC with old chrono and unsupressed, Moving forward.
Average of how many rounds? Record zero temp, what else?

Atmospherics. I have been a slacker here.... Never really had it good enough to go FAR.
Regular stuff or tempted to use density altitude... Hmmmmm?

What say you short of GFY and buy more chit? And yes, thanks in advance, I realize I will need to go outside. whistle

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don’t even chrono ammo anymore. I do my load development at 500 yards, shooting a series of charges in .4gr increments. Usually I’ll get two or more consecutive charges that have same POI and small vertical grouping. I pick the middle charge weight and load development is done. Based on charge weight and published data, I make an educated guess at velocity and get a good zero at 100 yards. Then I go to 800 and use the velocity truing function in my software. I use BCs derived by Bryan Litz if I can get them and published BCs if Litz hasn’t put anything out there. I have never not had DOPE not line up using this method.

I prefer DA. Just one number to mess with instead of three. Don’t even need to use temp unless you want to know when you’re going transonic.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks John. Was hoping you'd chime in on your usage of DA. So..... I will have a good BC # from Litz, with solid atmospherics, I should be gtg just by manipulating velocity. Sounds like what I want vs before trying to tweak bc, density, and velocity to get something workable past 650.

Hmmm..

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Any reason why you feel the need to keep a 100 yd zero? Why not a 200yd zero? Or further?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Any reason why you feel the need to keep a 100 yd zero? Why not a 200yd zero? Or further?

For head shooting at 100? Additionally, I don't do mpbr sighting ever or associated thinking usually.

Wait hold the fort. I'll have to check if 20moa with 100y zero gets me out there.... Not familiar with this scope, was thinking SS. Hmmm.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/30/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Because it is easier to get a true zero without atmospheric influences
No problem carrying the gun dialed to 200 or whatever you like.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Appears I can make it a mile if really needed with 100 yard zero and 20 moa. But, might go metric so I only have to shoot a km. grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I don’t even chrono ammo anymore. I do my load development at 500 yards, shooting a series of charges in .4gr increments. Usually I’ll get two or more consecutive charges that have same POI and small vertical grouping. I pick the middle charge weight and load development is done. Based on charge weight and published data, I make an educated guess at velocity and get a good zero at 100 yards. Then I go to 800 and use the velocity truing function in my software. I use BCs derived by Bryan Litz if I can get them and published BCs if Litz hasn’t put anything out there. I have never not had DOPE not line up using this method.

I prefer DA. Just one number to mess with instead of three. Don’t even need to use temp unless you want to know when you’re going transonic.

John

Interesting technique. I may try that. I'm sure I'm just having a brain fart; but, what's "DA"?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Density Altitude

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boomer,

It sounds like you are on top of things.

Kestrel is a big step in the right direction as the nearest airport data may or may not be copasetic.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Definitely have filled some gaps since last go around. Appreciate input from folks, hope to have some follow up soon. wink

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Higg. Definitely a brain fart.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just theorizing still, velocity change, same load now with the Silencerco Omega?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Just theorizing still, velocity change, same load now with the Silencerco Omega?

This should deliver the LOLs. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

So, in your experience, with the 7mm Remington Magnum, 26" barrel and Silencerco Omega, what velocity change can be expected, suppressed vs not? Thanks.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

So, in your experience, with the 7mm Remington Magnum, 26" barrel and Silencerco Omega, what velocity change can be expected, suppressed vs not? Thanks.

LOLs delivered.

Supposedly you own a Labradar, right?

Quit asking for internet opinions and go outside and chrono with suppressor and without.

It's not going to affect your wishful elk 800yd dope and the POI shift suppressed/unsuppressed is going to be orders of magnitude more important.

But what do I know? grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just like many things of unknown nature, folks myself included, have come here to ask questions. I'm simply interested in other's experience and what might be commonly expected so when I go forth, I'll have something to evaluate what I experience. Have found it's generally a damned good foundation in which to work from.

There won't be changing poi shift to be concerned with as it'll just be used suppressed.

I will eventually bust out the new LabRadar and go see what my particular rifle does. Do you have any educated guess yourself, or just content being Burnsy?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just like many things of unknown nature, folks myself included, have come here to ask questions. I'm simply interested in other's experience and what might be commonly expected so when I go forth, I'll have something to evaluate what I experience. Have found it's generally a damned good foundation in which to work from.

There won't be changing poi shift to be concerned with as it'll just be used suppressed.

I will eventually bust out the new LabRadar and go see what my particular rifle does. Do you have any educated guess yourself, or just content being Burnsy?

So "eventually" you will actually do the work to develop solid data.

Good to know.

In the mean time don't skip out on Leupold bashing threads because you obviously have a depth of retard knowledge to add.

Literally could not make this goofy schit up. crazy

John Burns

I have all the sources.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So, you literally have no informed opinion on potential changes of muzzle velocity suppressed vs unsuppressed that might be expected, that you would share?

Ok. That's 'cool'. Whatever floats your boat man.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, you literally have no informed opinion on potential changes of muzzle velocity suppressed vs unsuppressed that might be expected, that you would share?

Ok. That's 'cool'. Whatever floats your boat man.

Literally I can tell you within 10 fps what will happen.

You still need to do the work you are trying to avoid.

Get off the couch and shoot some rounds you lazy SOB long before you throw bullets at 800yd elk.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,021
Posts18,481,659
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.