Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wife and I were walking our usual loop by the school with the dog. Behind the school is a marshy area they don't mow.

At first we thought it was a cat, then maybe someone's pet ferret got loose but I'm pretty sure it was a black mink. He was on the edge of the marsh and ran into the weeds when the dogs jumped toward him. Beautiful animal, totally unexpected to see in a suburban neighborhood.

I have been here 20 years, first time I've seen one.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/11/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mink are one of the coolest critters around. They're thick around here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I live on a small river and we see them fairly regularly, especially in the winter when their dark brown coats offer great contrast to the snow. My wife has taken many photos and video of them. They are fun to watch and beautiful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We don't have a lot of them here, but several years ago something started killing my chickens. Turns out it was the biggest mick I've ever seen, and he was coming through a hole that I wouldn't have thought a mouse could get through. Trapped it and killed it. Guess I should have skinned that sucker and made something out of the hide.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
About five years ago I was hunting at my bird club in NY State, on the NJ/NY border, which is on a dairy farm's wooded back 40. I found a dead mink with no marks on it. I gave it to my farmer friend who runs the farm. He and his brother trapped there when they were young. A couple of months ago I found a road kill mink that wasn't messed up, so I picked it up and gave it to another friend who sells pelts. Also found in that area of Northwest NJ are martens. They kill and eat the porcupines I sometimes see as road kill.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see them all the time rafting. Saw one in the front yard one day. We're about 1000ft from the nearest pond. Not sure what it was doing in the front yard. Maybe a young one that was looking for love or new diggs.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here in southern Indiana there are more mink around than most people realize.
My boys average at least one a year trapping, usually in muskrat or coon sets.
That being said, I have only ever seen four actually alive in the wild in 47 years. And that’s after an immense amount of time spent in the outdoors hunting, fishing and trapping.
They are a beautiful animal and it’s a good thing they don’t weigh 150 pounds. They would be a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 09/11/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have quite a few of the mink's cousin, the river otter. They aren't seen often but they're there. The same goes for mink, here but seldom seen.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's fun to watch any of them slinky critters doing their thing. Poetry in motion. Pine Martins are absolute beasts when they're chasing a squirrel in a tree.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remember the time I seen a pair of black footed ferrets in the Sierra 30 years ago. Haven't seen any since.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JamesJr
We don't have a lot of them here, but several years ago something started killing my chickens. Turns out it was the biggest mick I've ever seen, and he was coming through a hole that I wouldn't have thought a mouse could get through. Trapped it and killed it. Guess I should have skinned that sucker and made something out of the hide.

Them Irish are pretty slick.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dad used to trap them down on the creek that was in the woods below the farmhouse. He'd get aggravated when they'd get in the chicken house and kill his laying hens. He didn't turn down the money, though, the hides were worth quite a bit in those days. I suspect that old creek still has a lot of mink running it, along with beaver and otters. And coons.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Filthy stinkin' bastards.

Had them get into an outside storage closet 6- 8 years ago. Trapped two and sealed up the access they were using. Haven't seen any since.

The smell was intense.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Made the mistake of putting the live trap with one of them in a building at the facility I worked at. Never had trapped a mink before.

Never made that mistake again either.

Averaged one a month while I was there.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I see them on the riverbanks here fairly often. I use to trap them when I was a teenager.The males brought 32 to 36.00, Minimum wage was 2.35 an hour then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Them Irish are pretty slick.

Beat me to it!

First time James ever bitched about the Irish.
It usually a darker complaint! grin

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve
I see them all the time rafting. Saw one in the front yard one day. We're about 1000ft from the nearest pond. Not sure what it was doing in the front yard. Maybe a young one that was looking for love or new diggs.

Just wondering if they sit or stand in the raft? And how do they hold the paddles? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread disappoints.

I was expecting yoga pants, long legs, nice...

Well.

Something different!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I knew one of those once.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lol, a 44mag opens them up end to end, they turn into a tube.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 25 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.