Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
He wants YOU to have them.

I agree. Your father has made the decision on his own, in accordance with how he realizes that things are not the way they were and he isn't able, at 80, to do those things he enjoyed when younger. He has decided it is time to give them to you, so you can use and enjoy them ... and at the same time, remember your good times with him.

I am older than your father and can not get out and do the things I enjoyed when I was younger and could still get around well. I have an idea I know how your father feels.

As said above, "Accept them graciously," and enjoy them, and the memories.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
You should accept them, graciously.

Exactly as he wishes.. or someone will.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hookeye

My concern is his possible future medical expenses, and IMHO his stuff could be sold for that (if need be).

I don't follow your logic. You're denying him the pleasure of giving you what he wants when he wants to see you get some good out of it, and if cash needs to be raised later you could sell them and use the money for him.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
My bud and I tried to take him hunting and fishing yrs ago.

Stubborn and cranky are understatements smile

Pops does what pops wants to do, always has.
Hes OK, just way different. That too an understatement.

It has to be his idea or it aint happening.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hes a grumpy old bastid LOL
With cooler temps he should get out more to the range.
Should help his disposition.

As long as he still sends lead down range I figure he should keep all his stuff (or sell whatever he wants to).
If he sells it all tomorrow, that's cool.

My concern is his possible future medical expenses, and IMHO his stuff could be sold for that (if need be

Considering the cost of the medical $ system, those won't begin to cover the costs. Typically, the hospitals are rigged to syphon as much gas out of that tank as possible.

My health care system is the ounce of healthy prevention. The day that my dad got wobbly was a death sentence. I made the mistake of taking him in for testing. Thought it was the right thing to do. How wrong I was. He didn't die from the issue of wobbly....that was the meds.... I should have carefully took him off the Rx according to my Dr., hydrated, etc. per a healthy protocol that my current Physician recommends.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m young but I think about this.. My daughter shoots she enjoys doing things with me. I hope she takes all my rifles when the time comes..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My grandpa gave me a marlin auto 22 when I was about 8. Made me feel 10 feet tall. Different situation than yours, but if you and your dad are on good terms, I'd take the gift, enjoy it, and tell him what you do with it.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by mathman

My concern is his possible future medical expenses, and IMHO his stuff could be sold for that (if need be).

I don't follow your logic. You're denying him the pleasure of giving you what he wants when he wants to see you get some good out of it, and if cash needs to be raised later you could sell them and use the money for him.

As long as he is capable of making his own decisions on health care, then IMHO he can make his decisions on financial.
He isn't giving me stuff, he's asking what stuff I want.

I won't take anything.

Now if he came over with that old 1100 T in the car and said I better grab it, I would.
But then I'd sneak some cash back into his mug at his place.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m young but I think about this.. My daughter shoots she enjoys doing things with me. I hope she takes all my rifles when the time comes..

Yes, my youngest, the one w health issues, likes to shoot.
Id give her all my stuff. Which isn't much, and most she would never use.
She can't have kids..........so not like she'd save em for a grandson.
But I'd still give her what I have. Because she's kinda mechanical and more like me.

My dad? Has lots of stuff. Just sayin.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/11/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hes a grumpy old bastid LOL
With cooler temps he should get out more to the range.
Should help his disposition.

As long as he still sends lead down range I figure he should keep all his stuff (or sell whatever he wants to).
If he sells it all tomorrow, that's cool.

Originally Posted by 16bore
You should accept them, graciously.

If your dad still shoots, why not just let him come and get what he wants to shoot from you, when he wants to go.

If I could give away a few of mine right now (they fell overboard though) I might, just in case anything happens then my non-gun person wife would have fewer worries and my family would not have to come for as many (but they still fell overboard).

I'm on the side of "honor thy father and mother" and do what pops wants you to do.

Ever consider he may have an issue he's not telling you about? Stubborn old men are known for that kind of stuff.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He wanted you to have them.

It means a great deal to him knowing that they are safe.

My Grandfather told me and my Dad what he wanted us to with the stuff in his house.

It took about a week to get it all done and when he was told it was done he died the next day.

He did tell us that he was glad it was done.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
With a sick kid and an aging father, I'm kinda stuck in the middle on this living/dying thing.
Its uncomfortable.

Just feels (rightly or wrongly) that accepting a few of his guns, isn't becoming a custodian.
It isn't a changing of the guard.

It makes me feel like the grim reaper.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/11/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My bud and I tried to take him hunting and fishing yrs ago.

Stubborn and cranky are understatements smile

Pops does what pops wants to do, always has.
Hes OK, just way different. That too an understatement.

It has to be his idea or it aint happening.

That's good that you tried.
You know your Pops and what he likes to do. Any activities together will be worth more than gold some day. I hope that you eventually celebrate his 100th birthday and he's still sharp.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm not understanding why you can't accept a gift from your father. It may help you to look at this. Swap roles, maybe. See yourself as the old man attempting to do for your son what your dad is doing for you. Would you like cash back from him, or would it cheapen the gift, and a lot? I don't know about you, and I don't know about your dad, but for me and for my dad, guns aren't just another consumer good. They represent something deeper than just what can be bought or sold with money.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I feel qualified to add my 2 cents. I am in your Dad's position, and have begun the process of gifting the guns to my son and grandsons. It feels GOOD, and it makes me happy.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My father was a bit different! He told me he was selling all his guns to a construction buddy in VT. eek I told hm if he was selling tham he was going to sell them to me!! I had to pay what he was offered from the VT guy.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Take them before the vultures arrive. Things have a way of growing legs after love ones leave.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a sick kid and an aging father, I'm kinda stuck in the middle on this living/dying thing.
Its uncomfortable.

Just prayed for you and your family.
PM anytime.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My dad is 93 and we still take him hunting and fishing. It's hard because he depends on a walker to get around, but it's well worth it to both of us. He usually won't shoot anything but enjoys sitting in pops road stand.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

He isn't giving me stuff, he's asking what stuff I want.

I won't take anything.

Now if he came over with that old 1100 T in the car and said I better grab it, I would.
But then I'd sneak some cash back into his mug at his place.

He's giving you your choice, and I don't believe choosing nothing is an option that will make him feel good.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.