Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Browning barrels thru the Hawkeye borescope look a heap smoother than Rem or Salvage. I wonder how those two shoot as well as they do with so many tool marks. CZ is another smooth barrel thru the Hawkeye.

The acid test is at the range, not thru a scope. Just giving my observations.

DF

When I got my borescope I looked at every barrel that I could find, not only my rifles but friends and family as well.
All in all I looked at 6 A-Bolt barrels, 4 looked just as you describe. My friend has one the same as mine that the barrel is a button rifled and looks as good as any custom barrel I have ever seen, mine looks identical on the outside but on the inside is the roughest mess I have looked at to date. I shot a complete Tubb fire lapping kit through it and still not much better (just my luck to get the one bad apple).
I have owned 3 A-Bolts over the years and 2 of the 3 were awesome and all 3 had very good triggers with just a spring change.
I had no idea what Pappy was whining about until I saw the AB3, Browning was too embarrassed to call it an A-Bolt like the 1&2. The AB3 is a POS that should have never gone to market.
The newer X-Bolt is a nice rifle and I have shot a few and they are accurate, but at their price point I will build a custom.....over priced IMO

btw: I agree with you on the CZ barrels, they are top notch for hammer forged barrels

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was Browning the rifle where the detacheable magazine had to be attached to the floor plate and then closed?? I seem to recall one type of rifle had this stupid arrangement and I think it was Browning. But not 100 percent. I cannot imagine the genius that came up with that arrangement.

I remember years ago when looking for a .257 Roberts the gunsmith showed me a Browning ( I can't remember what model) but the bolt was huge. It also looked fugly so I passed. I've never liked the look of them, especially the high gloss shiny stock finish.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yup, the DM on my Abolt would clip onto the hinged floor plate.

Mine was a Stainless Stalker in .338 Win mag.
26” barrel was a tad long, but kept the muzzle blast further away.
It was an accurate beast off the bench , but I didn’t keep it.

No real problems or issues.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Off topic but the only Browning centerfire rifle I have been around but never shot was this one from my elk hunting partner of 25 years. He would go out each season he drew. We drew off years area 49 Colorado seasons. He bought a pile of 180 gr Core-Lokts (sp) factory ammo years prior and went out when he drew headed to the range eventually put five in a few inches and killed elk.

Our last hunt together in 2015. His ankles at 72 did not allow his hunt but we still had great trip.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have heard that Browning A Bolt receivers were cast, not forged. My first gun, a Winchester 870 youth 20 ga, was cast and as much as I still cherish that shotgun, I was turned off by cast from the beginning of my gun enthusiast beginning. I know many fine firearms are made from casting these days but it's not for me. The thing that I ponder the most is that I have never seen a custom rifle built on an A-Bolt receiver. I've read that the receiver may deform in a barrel vise upon removal. I have never owned or shot an A-Bolt and don't question their functionality and if my information is inaccurate, please educate me. If I were looking for shine and polish in a rifle, I suppose I'd choose a Weatherby.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone have experience or owned the predecessor to the A bolt, the Browning BBR? Any thoughts or comments on that Rifle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These Mauser-type bolt-action rifles were manufactured in Japan by Miroku from 1978 to 1984. SN 10309RN117, not much more to find online about them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My understanding is they had some A-bolt features, but the locking lugs resembled the Weatherby Mark V? They also were heavier than the A-bolt.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the BBRs were pretty heavy. I never owned one, partly for that reason.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any input as to the other reason for not owning one?

Last edited by 3dtestify; 09/15/20.
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I had two BBRs, 243 Win. and 300WM. Both very handsome and quite heavy.
Neither shot all that great.
Upgraded the .243 to a Rem. 700 and the .300 to a Sako L61.
Both of these shot better.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot a new X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 6.5 PRC recently - the first time I have ever handled or shot an X-bolt.
I was impressed with the accuracy of 3 shots into 3/4" @ 100 yds with factory ammo, fairly lightweight, it handled really well, and the recoil was mild (even though I despise muzzle brakes). If I had a complaint it would be the trigger, adjusted as low as it would go it was still 4#. But the handling characteristics and balance of or it were amazing.
Will I ever buy one - not likely, but it has changed my perception of them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just got back from the range and once again the Browning X bolt Hells Canyon Long Range never disappoints. Multiple 5 shot groups with factory 143gr Horn ELD-X @ 3/4 MOA. Maybe I will hand load for it one day. Ugly gets forgotten fast with consistent results.

Nothing wrong with the McM Game Scout that she wears either. I am digging the Timney I put in, even if the trigger isn't gold. LOL

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Now I'm going to research the models of A-Bolt available when they first appeared. As mentioned earlier, Eileen's was .270 Winchester made the first year, and had a relatively plain walnut stock--checkered, but with what resembled a non-shiny oil finish. If I recall correctly, they called it the Hunter model.

Might also mention that a good local friend purchased a Hell's Canyon X-Bolt in 26 Nosler next year, which is his new favorite big game rifle. (He's pretty much a serial rifle loony, though always has some pre-'64 Model 70s hanging around as well as more modern stuff.) It shoots VERY well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JB, do you have Matt Eastman's book Browning, Sporting Arms of Distinction 1903-1992? He covers the introduction of the A bolt since it was introduced in 1985 (not 1986 according to Eastman, anyway). I am sure you have the book. If not, let me know and I would be happy to lend it to you. The stated advantage of the then new A bolt was the reduction in weight.

The Hunter Model blue was a matte finish finish from 1985 - 1986. High gloss blue started in 1987. The stock finish was satin for the same years and then went to high gloss in 1987. Black plastic butt plate for the same 2 years in standard calibers.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the info. No, I don't have the book, but after rechecking my range/hunting records the Hunter model Eileen had was indeed purchased, tested and hunted in 1985, not 1986.

Dunno why the Hunter wasn't more popular--though suspect it might be due to the average hunter preferring shinier finishes back then.

I did replace the black plastic buttplate on Eileen's .270 with a 1" Pachmayr pad after we purchased it!

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 22250rem, 2500HD, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,042
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.