Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Burn it!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought some stuff called Boracare

Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate - I think is more about protecting the wood by deterring termites than killing them but they don't have a good day if they ingest it.

Anyway, soaked by expose wood and framing with it. It wasn't cheap, I hope it worked.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/13/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a house tented in Florida to effectively kill them. I would call an exterminator if you care about the place, if not then use store bought stuff and just kill the symptoms.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by shaman
Would this stuff do the job?

https://www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-bo...2941120011&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-14

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

It's a generic, but it has the same active ingredient in the same concentration as Termidor.

I've got 30 feet of wall on the south where the bugs are. How far would I get with 20 OZ of concentrate?

Personally, I would absolutely drop $100 on two bottles of it... and hope for the best. If you're still seeing a problem keep asking questions.

I "throw a $100" at problems all the time...

80% of the time I am glad I did.

Needed prescription glasses... threw $100 at eight pairs on EyeBuyDirect.com. Result? Perfection.

Wanted to lower my cholesterol and follow my Dr recommendation on lowering Bologna virus severity... threw a $100 at three months worth of red Marine algae. Results? Lowest cholesterol numbers I've ever had.

Threw $100 at the best ceramic brake pads money could buy for my wife's car. Results? Damn unimpressed.

Last edited by CashisKing; 09/13/20. Reason: Autocorrect typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tenting (fumigation) is for non-subterranean types of termites. It won’t solve subterranean termite issues.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA

Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate - I think is more about protecting the wood by deterring termites than killing them but they don't have a good day if they ingest it.

Anyway, soaked by expose wood and framing with it. It wasn't cheap, I hope it worked.

I bought some boric acid, borax and getting a gallon or two of antifreeze for an online recipe like this. Since boracare has, I assume, a proven ratio I might go that route.
I have access to chloradane, but heard of the harmful outgassing effects.
Either way, I will drill a bunch of holes in the logs of an existing 150yo house, and lower framing and use a turkey injector.

Do you have any extra to suggest to that plan that you've come across in your own DIY research?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Chlordane causes nerve and brain damage. The Feds outlawed it for a good reason.

feds dont do anything for a good reason. booze cigarettes paint thinners turpentine pain pills heroin coke speed LSD that the feds manufactured and flooded the country with has caused more brain damage in 8 hours then chlordane would in 50 years. if you used it in the past just wear a mask and plastic gloves

I have access to chlordane, but read reports that it continues to outgas for many years, just like creasote, but without the smell. That's why I held off using it and looking for the best DIY method .
Thinking of removing the siding on the base and drilling holes. Maybe chlordane outside and boric acid mix on the inside. Either way, I see the saw dust and need to get to it this fall.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sawdust? You have any pics? Maybe not subs. Close-up pics of “sawdust”, damage or actual critters and I can likely ID. Species present determines type of treatment required.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would only use octoborate for powder post beetles, or mold and mildew issues

A direct wood application, penetrant

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by KFWA

I bought some boric acid, borax and getting a gallon or two of antifreeze for an online recipe like this. Since boracare has, I assume, a proven ratio I might go that route.
I have access to chloradane, but heard of the harmful outgassing effects.
Either way, I will drill a bunch of holes in the logs of an existing 150yo house, and lower framing and use a turkey injector.

Do you have any extra to suggest to that plan that you've come across in your own DIY research?

You have access to heptachlor? Stored in a doomsday vault?

Considering nearly all know registrations for it have been cancelled.
It was unobtainium by 1990 ish in our business.

We had to transition Dursban, chlorpyrifos. Which I liked the smell if the xylene carrier anyway.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Saturate the soil on either side of the foundation wall with termiticide(Dursban TC) if you can find it. Saturate the adjoining wood with the borate of your choice. I use Tombor. If block CMU is used to make the foundation wall, drill all the cells of the block, and between the cells, and inject termiticide as well. Feel free to send me a MP if I have you totally confused.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's a small enough cabin to do it yourself with Termidor and eliminate future issues. How would he get rid of the ones already munching away inside the cabin?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S.L.,
You got to know the right people. They're usually good old DIYourselferz. They help each other out, like here.
I'm just trying to not mess up a bad situation by making it worse.
I've been studying up on what you said about treatments. I came across more information on that at Dit my own.com.
I'm thinking of going with this.

https://www.domyown.com/prime-source-imidacloprid-2f-select-ti-reviews-pr-12208.html?page=2

I have a well on one side and a cistern on another side, so I can't risk ground water contamination. That's one more challenge.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/13/20.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Chlordane causes nerve and brain damage. The Feds outlawed it for a good reason.

feds dont do anything for a good reason. booze cigarettes paint thinners turpentine pain pills heroin coke speed LSD that the feds manufactured and flooded the country with has caused more brain damage in 8 hours then chlordane would in 50 years. if you used it in the past just wear a mask and plastic gloves

I have access to chlordane, but read reports that it continues to outgas for many years, just like creasote, but without the smell. That's why I held off using it and looking for the best DIY method .
Thinking of removing the siding on the base and drilling holes. Maybe chlordane outside and boric acid mix on the inside. Either way, I see the saw dust and need to get to it this fall.

I would never use chlordane on the inside of a house

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
That's a small enough cabin to do it yourself with Termidor and eliminate future issues. How would he get rid of the ones already munching away inside the cabin?

The ones inside of your cabin has to go back to the Colony

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58

I would never use chlordane on the inside of a house

What do you think about this gemby58?
It's labeled for spot application of termites.

https://www.domyown.com/prime-source-imidacloprid-2f-ti-p-12208.html

Separate issue.
I need to get rid of the major infestation of wooly adelgids that are going to strip 100 hemlocks soon.
I plan to use it as a soil drench.

At the house, I just don't know what to do with the soil colonies of termites when I have a well and old brick storage cistern for drinking water and fruit trees next to the house.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/13/20.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
UPDATE:

Sunday AM, the Taurus SC (Generic Termidor) went down. Using the Herr Squidge's video as a guide, we went with the standard solution: .06% or .08 oz per 4 Gallons water. Angus did the digging of the 6inch trench. I handled the juice. He needs the exercise. I've lead a good life already and done all my breeding. We treated the whole south wall in 3 10 foot segments, and then I sprayed a gallon of juice 1 foot out and 1 foot up the wall with a tank sprayer, and finished up by putting some Spectracide stakes back in.

One of the existing termite stakes popped as we were working, so I know we were doing the right thing. We've got plenty left for next spring, when we do the rest of the whole perimeter.

Thanks all for the assistance.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.