Print Thread
Hop To
B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The local range is FINALLY opening up by appointment only. I am going to take my HP22 and handloads to the range to see if I can get it to NOT keyhole at 50yds. This was with Norma ammo, which has the .224 diameter bullets. I loaded up some rounds with .228 70gr and 60gr from Reeds.

My question, since I can't seem to find ballistics info on the HP 22 is this: Since the range is only 50 yds, what should my point of impact be, or should I just zero at 50 and be done with it?

I doubt, living here in Kenneckticut that I will ever actually shoot anything with it.

Unless I run across an 8 point politicrat!

Thanks in advance!

Blitz

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you sight in dead on at 50 you will most likely be a little high at 100 because the trajectory of the bullet may still be below the line of sight at 50

However, I am no expert on anything 22 HP.

I think others will be able to tell you everything there is to know about how to sight in the HP.

If I did own a HP I'd zero it at 50 if it were me because how far are you really going to shoot with it? It's most likely running our of gas already at 100.

Last edited by 99guy; 09/13/20.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Some old Shooters Bibles that I have show the mid range trajectory at . 7 in. at 100 yards. hopefully that helps you.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
How far you expect your shots to be? I would sigth in half inch high at 50 yards. That would give you zero at 25 and 1-2 inch high at a 100 yards. That would be plenty range.

What load are you using? That migth change a bit how far you can hit to poa but not below 100 yards.

Joel

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 99guy
If you sight in dead on at 50 you will most likely be a little high at 100 because the trajectory of the bullet may still be below the line of sight at 50

I think others will be able to tell you everything there is to know about how to sight in the HP.

If I did own a HP I'd zero it at 50 if it were me because how far are you really going to shoot with it? It's most likely running our of gas already at 100.

I sight in at 50, test at 100 and sometimes 200 and adjust accordingly based on perceived hunting needs. Pretty much not enough diff between 50 and 100 to matter in the deer woods.

As for running out of gas, the .22HP is the kissing cousin of the .223 and nobody ever says the .223 is running out of gas at 100 with 60-70 grain flat based bullets.😎😊

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by 99guy

As for running out of gas, the .22HP is the kissing cousin of the .223 and nobody ever says the .223 is running out of gas 😎😊

I say there are a 100 better choices for a 100 yard deer rifle that the 22 HP.

That don't make me right or wrong.

That is just what I say... laugh

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Want to say THANKS for all the input. I "inherited" the rifle from the wife of a drummer I played with for 14 years who succumbed to pneumonia at the age of 44. I knew nothing about Savage at all, found this website and am still learning. I wanted to use the rifle in his memory as he was my best friend for those 14 years. Last time I shot it with S&B ammo it keyholed. At that point I had to do more "research" which has led me to where I am now.

Hopefully the dang thing will make holes at 50 yards!

All in all, it also led me to research other rifles I inherited from family members, specifically a Winchester in 30-30 and a swiss mauser in 6.5x55 that apparently might be a family heirloom. Jury is still out on that one.

Funny how one little thing will suddenly lead you down a MAJOR rabbit hole!

Blitz

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In your opening post you said the Norma's were 224. I have Norma 70's in 228, would you like to try a few? They work well in mine.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 09/15/20.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
"Swiss" or Swedish Mauser?

If your new batch of .228 bullets still keyhole then there is something fundamentally wrong somewhere. Reed's bullets are notoriously good in our old Savages- great quality and short enough to stabilize in the 1-12 twist for us easterners trapped in elevations close to sea level.

B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Swedish Mauser. It’s missing the ballistics panel, but the s/n is stamped on EVERY part. Haven’t shot it yet either.

The rifling on the the HP looks sharp, I suspect it doesn’t like the Norma .224’s. They keyholed right out the gate. When I get to the range I’ve got a bunch of loads worked up with the Reed’s bullets. Problem is our Imperial guvna has become a dictator. Range is only available by appointment starting on Sept. 19, call ahead to schedule.

IC B3

B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
They were factory Norma rounds.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My combo gun in 12ga/22 HP, it is one of my goto coyote hunting rigs. It should work well in the 99.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 09/17/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a pretty interesting rig. With the double triggers

Tell us about the gun.

Guessing European dissent.

German?

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Czechoslovakian, made in the 1970's by the same company that makes CZ rifles. It comes in a variety of chamberings with the 12ga/7x57R quite popular also. It is one of the few combo guns with the rifle barrel on the top, they can get away with that because the hinge pins are located so high that the lock up is so strong. I have a set of shotgun barrels to go with it so it is really a very versatile travel rig. These are Tula choked skeet barrels but work well for most upland and waterfowl over decoys. I'm still on the search of a set of 28" shotgun barrels to go with it.

Last edited by erich; 09/18/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd like to stumble onto one of the old BRNO kiplauf's chambered for .22HP.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,877
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.