Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Michigan hunter, 14, dies after being run over by corn harvester: reports

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-hunter-14-dies-run-corn-harvester-reports

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Good Lord.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well DAMN! hope the kid didn't suffer.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read that yesterday. From this it sort of sounds like he was run over by a tire rather than going through the blades. He's dead either way but I shudder to think about being chopped.

"Unaware anyone was in it [the field], the hunter was accidentally driven over and found by the chopper operator a very short while later,"

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deer season is open in Michigan? Bow hunting? But then, who bow hunts deer in a un picked corn field and then lays down for a nap and doesn't wake up to the sound of a combine picking and shredding corn?
The story doesn't make sense.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is one sound sleeper!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Poor kid. Prayers sent.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Deer season is open in Michigan? Bow hunting? But then, who bow hunts deer in a un picked corn field and then lays down for a nap and doesn't wake up to the sound of a combine picking and shredding corn?
The story doesn't make sense.

May be some sort of early youth hunt.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It was our youth hunt weekend which most use a firearm.

Speculating here ,but I see a lot of youth wearing ear phones / air pods to listen to their phone (music). Could have fallen asleep and not heard the machine coming. I'm also thinking without looking into it, the corn was being cut for silage ,which is what's going on here in mid Michigan.

If the kid was left alone to hunt by himself, the parent is going to have more trouble besides the loss of child.

Bad deal to all around. Feel bad for the driver ,life changer for him. (no pun intended)

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bucks will spend a great deal of time in standing corn. There is a tactic whereby a hunter can slip in with a bow and walk right up on them. The problem is what happens if you get lost. I never much liked the tactic, because visibility was about 10 feet at best. Once you're in, there are few directional cues. You can use a compass, a gps (nowadays), or listen for traffic on a nearby road. I much preferred to catch them going in or out, often using a small penninsula or other structure as a key. I can see where a 14 yr old got in, got turned around, and decided to take a nap before heading out.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Youth / disabled hunter this weekend in MI.

Most states youth hunts require an adult to be present to take over control of the wpn at all times.

Per article???
So this kid gets dropped off alone?
Goes in a standing corn field ?
Falls asleep.
Gets run over by a combiner tire.
Family land???
Or was permission given by landowner?

Really fugged up situation.
Tragic .
100% should not have happened.

Some very stupid adults need to be held accountable and answer some big questions.
Not the combine driver, that guy had no idea and probably feels horrible about how all this happened .
If I was him I would be mad as hell at the adults involved in dropping this kid off .
Livid.
Talking to the media and MI game commision or whatever they are called up their.

If it was family land.
Then that could answer alot of stupidity involved.
But how in the fugg if that was the case.
How did they not know the field was gonna get cut that day.

The whole thing sounds really strange and fishy.

The article leaves ALOT of questions unanswered.
Bottom line is that kid should have never been alone.
I couldnt find it but I would bet MI youth hunt regs require an adult presence at all times just like other states do.

JMO.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You have to accompany a kid on a youth hunt here in Michigan.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That’s terrible

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Youth / disabled hunter this weekend in MI.

Most states youth hunts require an adult to be present to take over control of the wpn at all times.

Per article???
So this kid gets dropped off alone?
Goes in a standing corn field ?
Falls asleep.
Gets run over by a combiner tire.
Family land???
Or was permission given by landowner?

Really fugged up situation.
Tragic .
100% should not have happened.

Some very stupid adults need to be held accountable and answer some big questions.
Not the combine driver, that guy had no idea and probably feels horrible about how all this happened .
If I was him I would be mad as hell at the adults involved in dropping this kid off .
Livid.
Talking to the media and MI game commision or whatever they are called up their.

If it was family land.
Then that could answer alot of stupidity involved.
But how in the fugg if that was the case.
How did they not know the field was gonna get cut that day.

The whole thing sounds really strange and fishy.

The article leaves ALOT of questions unanswered.
Bottom line is that kid should have never been alone.
I couldnt find it but I would bet MI youth hunt regs require an adult presence at all times just like other states do.

JMO.....

Agreed 100 %

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow. Horrible.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My hell!!! Some adults are to stupid for words. Unreal.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not enough details to determine what really happened in this tragedy.

But at 14 yrs old! Good grief.

Many of us here at The Campfire have hunted alone since we were 8-9 yrs old.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i guess i'll be talking about this at our next hunter safety ed class

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The young guy in the story above is most certainly a hell of a tragedy for for the family and the operator. As loud and noisy as those machines are it's hard to understand how the kid never heard it working and getting close to him.

When growing up on a farm in SW WI, my father did custom harvesting and drying of oats, soybeans and corn for other surrounding farms. We had two JD hydrostatic combines, a 6600 Side Hill and a 7700 4WD both with just 4 row corn heads. After school and holidays/weekends I ran the 6600. When the corn was good and dry and temps cool with the drum and shakers set up right we could really cover some ground. We used to joke about fast we could go and still get a very clean test of the grain and very, very little loss out the back.

I was working the 6600 late one afternoon in late Nov. WX was kind of gray and overcast, temps just above freezing, with an occasional little snow flake here and there coming down, but the corn was dry and I was moving. The farm and the piece of property I was on was a bit rocky and you needed to keep the tips up a bit higher than normal to make sure you didn't pick up a rock and jam up the snap rollers that would plug that row or worse yet bust a roller or bearing.

I'm cruising along and all of a sudden the far right snap roller clutch starts slipping/hammering hard and the corn stalks pile up. I'm thinking I picked up a rock and hoped I didn't really break something. After I shut the machine down and got down into the head and started pulling the corn stalks away there was a yearling doe's head jammed in the rollers. She was dead. Field dressed her and pulled the carcass over to the perimeter fence and hung her up on a fence post and took her home late that night when I finished for the day.

The joke became when asked, "how fast can we go", the reply was, "fast enough that we have hit deer".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 3,094 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,355
Posts18,488,003
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.