Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the day, people used to say that a barrel would need to be "broke in" before it would shoot it's best.

I have not seen this topic touched in quite a while, but it seems that the last I read from experts was that a barrel did not have to be broke in..

Any comments from people that know would be appreciated.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is not necessary!

If you keep track of your first cleaning patch through the bore, you will notice each first patch will be progressively lighter in color for the first 10 or 12 times.

It makes no difference if this is done after each of a dozen trips, or a dozen times while on your first range trip. Same results.

Last edited by StrayDog; 09/10/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
Back in the day, people used to say that a barrel would need to be "broke in" before it would shoot it's best.

I have not seen this topic touched in quite a while, but it seems that the last I read from experts was that a barrel did not have to be broke in..

Any comments from people that know would be appreciated.

Perhaps one of the funniest post's in quite some time laugh laugh grin , this topic has been beaten to death at nauseating regularity over and over again, better try search again it was a big topic just a couple weeks ago

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I have not seen this topic touched in quite a while.....

It's been at least six hours, about time to touch it off again.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Exactamundo. :Like a lot of other mythology...it apparently takes millennia to finally go away...

Oh, and to answer the OP...on a hunting rifle its not necessary. If you are anal retentive and OCD and looking at Long Range rifles or Bench Rest you might consider it briefly.

Last edited by ingwe; 09/11/20.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you are anal retentive and OCD and looking at Long Range rifles or Bench Rest you might consider it.

Damn it Ingwe, I resemble that remark laugh I break in every one !!!!!!!!!!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 100+ year old Swedish Mauser that copper fouled fairly badly. Seriously cleaned all the copper out, fired one cartridge, cleaned again, repeated a few times, and then went to three shots. It pretty well fixed the fouling problem.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
I have a 100+ year old Swedish Mauser that copper fouled fairly badly. Seriously cleaned all the copper out, fired one cartridge, cleaned again, repeated a few times, and then went to three shots. It pretty well fixed the fouling problem.

That will happen.

Just sayin. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Exactamundo. :Like a lot of other mythology...it apparently takes millennia to finally go away...

Oh, and to answer the OP...on a hunting rifle its not necessary. If you are anal retentive and OCD and looking at Long Range rifles or Bench Rest you might consider it briefly.

Doesn’t that describe all of them...?

Last edited by GF1; 09/11/20.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Who has Stock's break-in video on speed dial?

I like a cow barrel! 😂😂

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton

........... Me too. Back in the mid 1990's a lot of that barrel break in stuff was affecting me. Picked up one of those Swedish Mausers that Kimber was sporterizing back then. Actually did that procedure on it ( still had original 6.5x55 barrel) and it gets very little fouling now, and I still have it. Can't say that it's a solution for barrels that copper foul a lot but mine seemed to respond to it. I always thought that was pretty unusual for a used barrel and don't have much of an explanation for it but there it is. I'm not complaining.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 300 Roy took about 7500 rounds before it settled down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To each his own.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
With hand-lapped aftermarket barrels, I don't see much point, and I don't really "break them in". They already seem to shoot like a "broken in" barrel after a dozen shots. With factory rifle barrels, yes, I have process of fire-lapping and bore seasoning. It doesn't seem to hurt, and in the instances where I started just shooting without the process, accuracy did improve a bit, along with a couple other things. Who knows? It's all tinkering with guns, so it's all good for me.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I clean new ones before shooting. On most of them I get some metal on the patch, even the custom barrels. On the customs I expect it is from the chambering where the oil didn't flush out the barrel 100%. On the factory rifles I suspect it is actually fine burs in the barrel as I assume the chamber was hammer forged simultaneously with the rifling process. Chances are the first shot would just blow any fines out the barrel rather than ironing them in as gun lore (legend) has it. The cleaning is good to get any machining oil residue out so I will keep doing this even if there is no other benefit. I also have had some that were pretty dirty just from the factory test shots. Seems like they could clean them before shipping.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Barrel break in procedures and cleaning barrels are vastly over rated.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
Barrel break in procedures and cleaning barrels are vastly over rated.

Without a doubt.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One reason this lives on might be that some makers, Howa is one, "require" it in their owner's manual. They don't however, say what kind of cleaning you are supposed to do; powder fouling, copper, duck feathers, whatever. Brian Pearce seems to be a believer, and has written of positive results in handgun-cartridge rifles and IIRC, revolvers, but who knows if it's really the break-in or just rounds down the tube that does the work?

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the points I have made a number of times over the years is that periodic cleaning, say after each of a rifle's first few range sessions, eventually accomplishes the same thing without cleaning after every shot.

Have also pointed out that the one-shot-clean routine was primarily developed by benchrest shooters who wanted a new barrel to be broken-in before its first match. That said, there are a few examples of shooters winning matches with barrels that had never been fired before, except to sight them in.

Some factory barrels are too rough to be affected much, if at all--though many of today's factory barrels are pretty smooth. But the major thing that's supposed to be "cured" is the circumferential machining marks left by the chamber reamer, especially in the throat/leade area.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i was young i did the one shot -clean break-in thing, i also wondered is this tedious barrel cleaning on a new bench rifle worth it or make sense ? i do feel a new barrel or a rifle you buy even used you should run a patch thru the barrel to make sure its cleared of particles. but never again will i do the one shot and clean method again on a new barrel, it makes no real difference, none of us have that much time for a tedious foolish one shot and clean on a new barrel,heck i haven`t run a rag/patch down the barrel of my deer rifle for a couple of years,i only wipe the outside down a little after the season. again this year i will take 2 shots at 100 yards both shots will be inch - 1 1/2 inch above the 1 inch bullseye and i am ready for another deer season. its that simple why wear out your prized deer rifle shoot`n holes in paper do that with a bench rifle.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,132
Posts18,502,651
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.