Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
another fatality in the same area:

LiveWeatherElectionsCoronavirusSportsEmailsContestsMore
Expand / Collapse search
Boy, 11, shot and killed by stepfather during deer hunt in St. Clair County

CLAY TWP, Mich. (FOX 2) - An 11-year-old boy has died after he was shot by his stepfather while hunting deer on private property in Clay Township in St. Clair County.

The Clay Township Police Department said the shooting happened around 8 p.m. in the 6300 block of Benoit Road Sunday.

Clay Township Police said the 11-year-old was with his family in the woods, hunting for deer, when witnesses heard gunshots and saw the boy on the ground. The child had been hit by a round that was discharged by his 40-year-old stepfather.

According to police, the boy was being treated by family members when police arrived and CPR was being performed. While they were there, police said another gunshot went off.

Police said the child's mother had shot herself in the hand as she was trying to unload a gun and it mistakenly went off.

The boy was taken to McLaren Hospital Macomb where he was later pronounced dead.

His stepfather is currently in custody and the case is being reviewed by the St. Clair County Prosecutor's Office.

The boy is the second hunting-related death in eastern Michigan. On Saturday, a 14-year-old boy was killed when he apparently fell asleep in a cornfield and was run over by a harvester.

This past weekend was Michigan's Liberty Hunt, open specifically for minors and hunters with disabilities.

WTF??? She shot herself in the hand while unloading the gun? These people need to go take a hunter's safety course before they kill their whole family.

I wonder if it was an accidental discharge, or the guy was a dumbschit and mistaked him for a deer.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Deer season is open in Michigan? Bow hunting? But then, who bow hunts deer in a un picked corn field and then lays down for a nap and doesn't wake up to the sound of a combine picking and shredding corn?
The story doesn't make sense.

May be some sort of early youth hunt.

This..
Early Youth & Disabled Vet weekend

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How could this youth not have heard the combine?

I agree that there's a lot of unanswered questions. Horrible.

Prayers are on the way for the youngster.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is a tragic accident.I don`t understand that the first thing people want to do is condemn someone before they know the whole story??

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
This is a tragic accident.I don`t understand that the first thing people want to do is condemn someone before they know the whole story??

It's because the whole story sounds fishy, to put it mildly.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Youth got hit by train in Nashville while back, walking down the tracks with ear buds in.

Still you would think that a train would vibrate the ground, enough to make a quick enough alerting reacting to dive outta the way.

Probably had some of those pimp ass Dr Dre headphones on.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Expand / Collapse search

CLAY TWP, Mich. (FOX 2) - An 11-year-old boy has died after he was shot by his stepfather while hunting deer on private property in Clay Township in St. Clair County.

The Clay Township Police Department said the shooting happened around 8 p.m. in the 6300 block of Benoit Road Sunday.

Clay Township Police said the 11-year-old was with his family in the woods, hunting for deer, when witnesses heard gunshots and saw the boy on the ground. The child had been hit by a round that was discharged by his 40-year-old stepfather.

According to police, the boy was being treated by family members when police arrived and CPR was being performed. While they were there, police said another gunshot went off.

Police said the child's mother had shot herself in the hand as she was trying to unload a gun and it mistakenly went off.

The boy was taken to McLaren Hospital Macomb where he was later pronounced dead.

His stepfather is currently in custody and the case is being reviewed by the St. Clair County Prosecutor's Office.

The boy is the second hunting-related death in eastern Michigan. On Saturday, a 14-year-old boy was killed when he apparently fell asleep in a cornfield and was run over by a harvester.

This past weekend was Michigan's Liberty Hunt, open specifically for minors and hunters with disabilities.

This sounds like a good one too.

Stepson Stepdad issues ????

Gotta wear orange on private land in MI????

Then mom pops herself in the hand???

What the fugg is going on up their????
JFC......

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Liberty Hunt. 100% disabled vets, blind, deaf, or have a DNR issued permit for laser device and/or hunt from a standing vehicle. If Mr. 40 year old stepfather didn't fall into this category, he's in a world of schit. Mom needs a Hunter Safety course too.

Liberty Hunt is also for youths 16 or younger. Youth must be accompanied by a mentor at least 21 years old and within arms reach if they are 9 or younger. Youths 10-16 without a Hunter Safety cert must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. This parent or guardian must be within sight and/or reasonable voice distance. Youths 10-16 WITH a hunter safety cert must be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older unless they are on their parents or guardians land.

Complicated as hell, but this kid could've had a Hunter Safety cert and was hunting on his parents land by himself. Gets up at o' dark thirty and falls asleep or has ear pods in like kids do these days. Tragic all the way around.

Bad day in Michigan. We certainly don't need any more real world examples to teach our students in Hunter Safety class, which - by the way, Herr Whitmer has canceled this year due to COVID.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Youth got hit by train in Nashville while back, walking down the tracks with ear buds in.

Still you would think that a train would vibrate the ground, enough to make a quick enough alerting reacting to dive outta the way.

Probably had some of those pimp ass Dr Dre headphones on.

Had the exact same thing happen here about a month ago. 19 yo female walking the tracks with earbuds in. She didn't die but she's in really really bad shape. I don't understand how she's not dead.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Step-father is in custody...which is interesting. Doesn't normally happen in hunting "accidents".

Blaze Orange is required (hat, vest, or coat) in all firearm deer hunting everywhere in Michigan unless it's during bow season.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Step-father is in custody...which is interesting. Doesn't normally happen in hunting "accidents".

Blaze Orange is required (hat, vest, or coat) in all firearm deer hunting everywhere in Michigan unless it's during bow season.

Interesting.

I looked up the sunset time there, if at 8PM it was going to be getting dark real soon. Is MI a "half hour after sunset" State? If so, and if 8PM, then he was likely good on shooting time as sunset was about 7:40

Can't wait for "the rest of the story"

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Expand / Collapse search

WTF??? She shot herself in the hand while unloading the gun? These people need to go take a hunter's safety course before they kill their whole family.

I wonder if it was an accidental discharge, or the guy was a dumbschit and mistaked him for a deer.

What a clusterfu-ck.

Was the stepchild read-headed by any chance?

Apparently mom was unloading her gun through the muzzle.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, up here we're 1/2 hour after sunset closing time. It's a very specific time, down to the minute, posted in the hunting guide. I know I can't see a thing at closing time during firearm deer in November - even with a scope. I usually leave the stand at least 15 minutes before actual close because it's too dark to shoot. Of course, I'm usually in the woods where it's darker. Snow can lengthen that time too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by shaman
Bucks will spend a great deal of time in standing corn. There is a tactic whereby a hunter can slip in with a bow and walk right up on them. The problem is what happens if you get lost. I never much liked the tactic, because visibility was about 10 feet at best. Once you're in, there are few directional cues. You can use a compass, a gps (nowadays), or listen for traffic on a nearby road. I much preferred to catch them going in or out, often using a small penninsula or other structure as a key. I can see where a 14 yr old got in, got turned around, and decided to take a nap before heading out.

LOL

Where do you come up with this fugking bullschit?

I think I read about it in Bowhunter Magazine back in the 80's. It was about then I gave it a try. My first time out in the corn was out by the Wilmington Airport. I was able to keep my bearings by listening for the airplanes. It was not as fun as the article indicated, and after a half-hour, I got out.

Later, I tried it up around Mason Ohio. In that case I got turned around. The corn was on a corner lot with traffic on two sides. I finally went to the compass and went due-East until I got out. It was then I decided the technique was not my cup of tea. I had about 10 foot visibility, and I'm a big guy, so I couldn't move with a bow quietly.

Once I got out, I decided to hunt the little penninsula of trees that stretched out into the field. There was a ditch there, and I got into the ditch and took a nap. The deer woke me up at sundown coming out of the nearby woodlot and heading for the penninsula. They got close-- maybe 15-20 feet, but I couldn't get the bow up and get a shot in time. I ended up hunting that penninsula several more times-- either out of climbing stand or sitting in the ditch. That went on for a couple of seasons, before my buddy sold the land. It's now a mega church and the woodlot is a subdivision.

I really don't know why folks would think I was making this up. I grant that it wasn't the smartest idea, but then I was prone to this kind of failed experimentation before I got my act together. The biggest problem in those days was finding a place with a huntable herd actually on the property. My point in bringing it up is this is the sort of thing a young, inexperienced hunter my try.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mom shot herself in the hand.

As a paramedic I worked many, many GSW. Most were small caliber pistols as you might expect. .22LR, 9mm, .38 Special and so forth.
I did see a few patients hit with a deer rifle.

Scary to think what a .30-30 would do to the hand. Depends on where it hits of course but right there at the bone where it joins the wrist, it would blow the hand off of the arm.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
obituary. This is the kid who was run over by the corn harvester.

Jeffery Lewis Powell
January 12, 2007 - September 12, 2020
https://www.champagnefuneralchapel....xzDbDWuSeYPblfPeJR7m_gD6anGi3JTRYC2FBroc

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Bucks will spend a great deal of time in standing corn. There is a tactic whereby a hunter can slip in with a bow and walk right up on them. The problem is what happens if you get lost. I never much liked the tactic, because visibility was about 10 feet at best. Once you're in, there are few directional cues. You can use a compass, a gps (nowadays), or listen for traffic on a nearby road. I much preferred to catch them going in or out, often using a small penninsula or other structure as a key. I can see where a 14 yr old got in, got turned around, and decided to take a nap before heading out.

LOL

I think I read about it in Bowhunter Magazine back in the 80's. It was about then I gave it a try. My first time out in the corn was out by the Wilmington Airport. I was able to keep my bearings by listening for the airplanes. It was not as fun as the article indicated, and after a half-hour, I got out.

Later, I tried it up around Mason Ohio. In that case I got turned around. The corn was on a corner lot with traffic on two sides. I finally went to the compass and went due-East until I got out. It was then I decided the technique was not my cup of tea. I had about 10 foot visibility, and I'm a big guy, so I couldn't move with a bow quietly.

Once I got out, I decided to hunt the little penninsula of trees that stretched out into the field. There was a ditch there, and I got into the ditch and took a nap. The deer woke me up at sundown coming out of the nearby woodlot and heading for the penninsula. They got close-- maybe 15-20 feet, but I couldn't get the bow up and get a shot in time. I ended up hunting that penninsula several more times-- either out of climbing stand or sitting in the ditch. That went on for a couple of seasons, before my buddy sold the land. It's now a mega church and the woodlot is a subdivision.

I really don't know why folks would think I was making this up. I grant that it wasn't the smartest idea, but then I was prone to this kind of failed experimentation before I got my act together. The biggest problem in those days was finding a place with a huntable herd actually on the property. My point in bringing it up is this is the sort of thing a young, inexperienced hunter my try.

You can sneak thru corn rows bow hunting when it's very windy, looking up and down the next row.

I don't know how the hell anyone would get lost in one though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Deer season is open in Michigan? Bow hunting? But then, who bow hunts deer in a un picked corn field and then lays down for a nap and doesn't wake up to the sound of a combine picking and shredding corn?
The story doesn't make sense.

In the tenth grade I fell asleep in geometry class. I woke up half way through the next class. The teacher chuckled while some in the class laughed out loud.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOL

It’s true. There’s a technique of still bow-hunting standing corn rows into the wind or at least from a favorable direction. But I learned it to be used with snow, a step at a time and with constant glassing to the windward side into adjacent rows.
With a breeze, the stalk leaves make a rattling noise, and with snow I’ve come within ten feet of deer and pheasants without them knowing of me.
But I cannot explain the not hearing the machinery even of this kid was knowingly trying this technique. Very sad indeed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems weird that a combine would be in a cornfield this early in the year, especially downstate. Just stating an opinion, not speculating.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.