-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some crackhead ran over my beagle out here on a dang dead end read we live on.

It was a rainy day, I followed rainbow rings of transmission fluid for 18 miles to the parking lot of payday check cashing place. Bigger stain there but vehicle gone.

Ole girl took out their transcooler I guess. Serves the bastards right.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Well, I have an old F150. Nailed a ‘dillo one afternoon. In reverse.

I smiled for a couple days.

LOL !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Keep the vehicle straight.

Apply brakes as vigorously as possible.

Do not swerve.........unless speeds are so slow that you could not possibly lose control.

^^^This^^^

Thinking back I bet if I woulda punched it the pickup and trailer would have cleared the deer before they crossed.

I’ve been lucky Sam. Never hit a deer in my 45 years of “legal” driving. Hit a few coyotes though. 🤠

famous last words.....I, too, went 40 years without hitting a deer.....then hit seven in one year.....

Yep. Probably jinxed myself. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Between high school and the Navy, I hunted a lot of jackrabbits and developed the habit of swerving to hit them if it was just a little juke move. In a pickup, no problem and they were thick as flies in those days.

Fast forward four years, I brought a '76 TransAm home with my DD-214. It was four years old, but it was absolutely cherry. Back in those days, night cruising the rural areas and imbibing mass quantities of beer was a thing. Old habits die hard, and a guy can forget just how big jackrabbits can be in four years time.

I can still remember hearing the sound of the front air dam ripping loose and making the trip underneath the car. The sounds were kind of like it was all taking place in slow motion and that's the way I remember the event. *sigh*

I never did put a new front air dam on that car. Figured it was something that just wasn't going to last long.

Andrew, I had a 1975 Model. With the 455 and Factory 4 speed. Good times!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With the price of a bumper that will actually prevent damage, it's often cheaper to get a lower deductible on your insurance and not worry about it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
With the price of a bumper that will actually prevent damage, it's often cheaper to get a lower deductible on your insurance and not worry about it.

That's highly subjective.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Small stuff your better off hitting than getting into an accident.

[Linked Image from ]
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That's highly subjective.

I was headed to South Florida from Virginia about 2000.

Found a shop somewhere in North Florida up against Georgia if I recall correctly. It was a fairly big shop with about 20 employees. I pulled in... they took measurements on my truck to verify (they had Master templates for all major truck types)... I then picked out what type of steel designed bumper I wanted... gave them a deposit and went on my way. A week later... heading back North they had it finished and installed it for me. Heck of a bumper I think it was around $200.

They also did me a frame-to-frame front Reese hitch assembly. Had two perfectly aligned Reese hitches for removable wench... cooler carrier etc.

I'll come back and add a picture if I can find one...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by CashisKing; 09/15/20. Reason: Pic added

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a little bird stuck in my grill a couple of weeks ago. Never saw it, but he must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cash, that ain't a 'bumper', it's a frigging grille guard.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22
cash, that ain't a 'bumper', it's a frigging grille guard.

Of course you are correct sir.

What you are missing however is what you cannot see in the photograph. Cross mounted between the frame was a structural frame that houses two perfectly aligned Reese hitch females.

This allowed me to install an actual front bumper made from a railroad rail.

That truck has long been sold. Current versions involve a 5 inch round pipe sealed at both ends to serve as a air pressure tank from an on-board air compressor.

With two symmetrical Reese hitch females it is also possible to have a fishing rod rack or a cooler carrier. I'm also experimenting with a gin Pole on a 1986 Toyota I am playing with now. I will post pictures later if we are successful.

Old link... BUT IN PROCESS

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3sUFcGjC5ATqtwYw7

Last edited by CashisKing; 09/15/20. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Took out a crow in the middle of town with my Goldwing passenger side mirror years ago, had a small bird wedged in my foot pegs another time.

The biggest thing you'll hit around here is a deer (unless a horse or cow would get loose from a farm, and that rarely happens) and I've killed a whole lot of deer with my pick ups. So many that although I don't have a RH bumper or anything but I do carry a 100 dollar deductible on my comp. I've always told my kids no swerving, if you hit a deer you hit a deer. I'd rather you be okay than the deer.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,402
Posts18,527,940
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.