Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks, but I don't wear muffs while hunting, I need the inside the ear type.

how come?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
Thanks, but I don't wear muffs while hunting, I need the inside the ear type.

how come?

I mainly, as in 90% or more of the time still hunt. Or hike to a place to sit for a few minutes to watch/glass. And much of the time I wear a hat, a good portion of that time I wear a fedora style hat. Not conducive to the headband on the muffs.

And I hate trying to wear them with the band behind the neck either.

Couple that with the fact I will rarely, very rarely wear a hood as I don't much like anything covering my ears as then my awareness of my surrounding is blocked out. Not only for the reduction in hearing but also peripheral vision. And the muffs are hot.

If it's cold enough, as in down near zero, I'll wear a beanie hat and a scarf along with a high collar on a wool jacket. And even then I don't like it much around my ears.

I wear muffs and plugs at the range. Used to wear them at times at work, but even then I preferred plugs. If just walking into the engine room for a minute, then popping back out, I'd grab the muffs rather than put in the plugs. But if I was going to be in there for awhile, plugs it was.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Acu-Life

I have been wearing these for bird and duck hunting. Will try them this fall deer hunting to. They are comfortable and allow most normal sounds to pass through.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remsen
After a number of years in the military without hearing protection, and many years hunting in CA where I simply didn't use any (particularly damaging when duck hunting), my hearing is now perfect for hunting without hearing protection. Of course, I can't hear a TV unless it's cranked up, but such is the tradeoffs in life.

Remsen
Doesn't that make what little hearing that remains all the more precious and worth protecting? My hearing sucks -left ear in particular from hunting, loud music- drums and power tools. I don't even weed eat without plugs now. PLEASE protect what hearing you have! EVERY single shot.

I have friends that rely on me to get them to the range or out for some blasting and will not let anyone shoot my pistols without ear plugs. All have become accustomed and appreciative. I keep those plug on a string around my neck when in the blind. I feel so much better after shooting even just one shot when I have them in.

I have an inexpensive electric muffs that don't deaden enough for the range but did enjoy wearing them as I walked around my old lease often jumping hogs. The amplified sounds were a fun part no one mentions. It made every footstep seem like you were on corn flakes so it helped teach you stealth.

Some of the foam types do better than muffs. I have them scattered in my back pack, truck nooks, shaving kit..... I look for a 30db minimum in stuff and have been glad when I get to the range and inevitably sit next to the win mag muzzle break guy.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I started wearing these this year for turkey season and I was impressed by my ability to hear gobbling and other sounds.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/howard-leight-impact-sport-electronic-earmuff
I'm pretty much deaf in my left ear and wicked tinnitus in the right. I still can't tell which direction the sound comes from but I plan to try them for deer season as well.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have been using these electronic earbuds for trap shooting events this year. They are quite effective and much better than muffs in hot weather. Easy to adjust the volume using the smart phone app.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/silencer-bluetooth-rechargeable-in-the-ear-pair/

A little wind noise like most hearing aids, but not too bad. I am going to try pheasant hunting with them this year.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Acu-Life

I have been wearing these for bird and duck hunting. Will try them this fall deer hunting to. They are comfortable and allow most normal sounds to pass through.

Not sure what happened, but you link takes me to

homeimprovement.com or some such.

even though when I look at it in the address bar is says allegromedical...

I'll search for them though,

thanks.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jerryv
I have been using these electronic earbuds for trap shooting events this year. They are quite effective and much better than muffs in hot weather. Easy to adjust the volume using the smart phone app.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/silencer-bluetooth-rechargeable-in-the-ear-pair/

A little wind noise like most hearing aids, but not too bad. I am going to try pheasant hunting with them this year.

Jerry

Jerry, thanks for the link. I have heard of Walker's before , didn't know about this model.

Please let us know how they worked out while pheasant hunting. That's exactly the type of thing I'm interested in. Personally, I couldn't imagine wearing a pair of muffs for walking a field or sagebrush flat for gamebirds.

If you don't want to start a thread about your experience, shoot me a PM .

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,965
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.