Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
He was never a hero!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
True herios are people like ministers that work long, and hard for little money.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where have our hero’s gone?

The day is coming when the answer will be quite evident!!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Too alarmin' now to talk about
Take your pictures down and shake it out
Truth or consequence, say it aloud
Use that evidence, race it around
There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes
There goes my hero
He's ordinary

Don't the best of them bleed it out
While the rest of them peter out?
Truth or consequence, say it aloud
Use that evidence, race it around
There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes
There goes my hero
He's ordinary

Kudos, my hero, leavin' all the mess
You know my hero, the one that's on
There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes
There goes my hero
He's ordinary

There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes
There goes my hero
He's ordinary

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Police, fire fighters, truckers, farmers, we all have important work to do.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Police, fire fighters, truckers, farmers, we all have important work to do.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Even movie cowboys.

[Linked Image from taurusarmed.net]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do you idiots keep expecting your TV heroes from sports to wade into the battle and save our social structure from an assault that they themselves have joined for the last 30 years?

You really should seek help to break your addiction to degeneracy.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Two recent examples just this week.

I don't know if they're heroes or not, but the two flag carrying young men from Little Miami High School football team, and the woman Police officer who was shot in the jaw and still protected her partner are certainly inspirations.

Doing the right thing when it needs to be done, regardless of opinion, danger, and consequences is difficult. Hats off to these people.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't consider football players as being heroes, but then I may have a different set of values.

Hero? I'd say Chest Puller is in there, if you're looking for an recognizeable name and story.

Neil Armstrong is right up there too-- not for Apollo 11, but for his job flying Gemini 8. The man had the biggest balls and the coolest nerve of any man I've ever personally met. He was an prof at UC when I went there in the late 70's.

For pure testicular fortitude, I'd add Scott Crossfield. The man was sitting in the cockpit of an X-15 when it blew up while testing on the ground. Scott stayed in the cockpit, because he knew it was the safest place to be. He'd helped design the plane.

Doc Ball is in there. He's the father in law I never met. He was in the Bulge under Patton. He got a silver star for going back under withering fire and retrieving the company radio to call in an artillery strike that saved his company. He and Alvin York were kin. They and used to sit around KYHillChick's kitchen table and talk about the big things in life. He died 20 years before I met 'HillChick. You can throw Alvin in this list if you like, although neither Alvin or Doc thought of themselves that way.

There's Great Uncle Reinhart. He told Hitler to his face that he was a nutjob at a beer hall in Munich after the War.

An odd ball choice I'd not expect folks to understand is a nameless Hessian Jaeger at Saratoga. The Jaegers were all big plow jockies trained for long sorties and living off the land-- the 18th century equivalent of LURPs. There had been propaganda printed up by Ben Franklin and circulated among the German mercenaries that promised land, a cow, chickens and farm implements if they'd defect to the Patriot side. There were a bunch of Jaegers holding the middle redoubt at Saratoga. When Benedict Arnold assaulted there was a brutal Saxon CO that was walking up and down the line urging the Jaegers by hitting them in the back of the head with the flat of his saber. One Jaeger had enough of it and ran his bayonet through the CO's chest, and those manning the redoubt just folded and disappeared. That broke the line, and Saratoga was won. This was the battle on which the Revolution turned against the British, because it cause the French to enter. I don't know who he was, but there was a fellow by our surname that did not come back to Germany from that war, and he's not listed as dead. The family got land in Pennsylvania and then in the Great Swamp south of Toledo. Who knows? Whoever that Hessian plowboy was, he certainly has my vote for the German who won the Revolution!

Last edited by shaman; 09/18/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

We have some great heroes that stood up for our nation. They sailed over on the Mayflower. They endured that first harsh winter with very little shelter or food yet they stuck with it. But they had help. Then what about the men that stood against the British at the Battle of Concord, so aptly called the shot that was heard around the world. But they had help. Then there were those 56 brave and wonderful men that signed the Declaration of Independence who pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor. But they had help.

Does American have black heroes? You bet! What about George Washington Carver and by his use of the peanut and sugar beat saved more lives after the Civil War by helping people to avoid starvation than anyone in that day. But he also had help.

Then there was WWI, which came to be called the war to end all wars but it wasn't. As we know. With most of the world fighting itself and one side seeming to be about to win just who came to the aid and made the difference? Thousands of brave Americans. Yes we have heroes! But they had help.

No sooner than the smoke had cleared from WWI then Hitler invaded Poland and started WWII. In the effort to put an end to his advancing army the English were driven to the beaches at Dunkirk. Germany was appearing to be unstoppable. The British were saved by a miracle and got back home. While the war raged in Europe another front was being waged from Japan. The United States was not yet in the battle but was helping with supplies being shipped across the Atlantic by the Merchant Marine, one of the most dangerous parts of the war. Then on that fateful day on December the 7th 1941 Japan attacked the United States at Pearl Harbor. The 4 days later Hitler declared war on the United States. Thousands of young men, who's hearts burned with bravery and love of God and country stood in line to fight for our nation. Many never made it home. Once again it was up to America to step in and stand for good against an evil that was intent on destroying the world. We prevailed! But we had help.

But beyond all that's been recorded in history books over the years we had families that raised their kids to be good people when they grew up. They went to work every day and paid their way through life. They valued freedom and knew the price paid so we can enjoy it. We get a glimpse of their greatness and willingness to lay everything aside and help friends, neighbors and strangers in times of need. We just spent time remembering all those that died on September 11th 2001. Many died trying to help others to live. Some rushed into flames to save others only to give their lives in doing so. In my lifetime there have been natural disasters like flooding, tornadoes and hurricanes where strangers helped strangers. The list is endless but through it all we had help.

So now we have people that pretend to be heroes that degrade our nation and burn our flag. They attack the helpless and innocent. In the name of a cause, that only exist in their own minds, they take a knee. They trash the very documents that were written in the name of God to defend freedom. So where are our heroes today? I hope they are seeing all that's going on and wondering in the hearts and minds what they/we/I can do to make sure freedom prospers. To set things right and then go back to the normal and mundane things of every day living. But we will need the same help that those great people of our past relied on and trusted in.

In the words of Alexis de Tocqueville "America will be great because America is good". That takes help. I know of only one source of help that will endure. The same as those great heroes relied in the past....God!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Jim1611

We have some great heroes that stood up for our nation. They sailed over on the Mayflower. They endured that first harsh winter with very little shelter or food yet they stuck with it. But they had help. Then what about the men that stood against the British at the Battle of Concord, so aptly called the shot that was heard around the world. But they had help. Then there were those 56 brave and wonderful men that signed the Declaration of Independence who pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor. But they had help.

Does American have black heroes? You bet! What about George Washington Carver and by his use of the peanut and sugar beat saved more lives after the Civil War by helping people to avoid starvation than anyone in that day. But he also had help.

Then there was WWI, which came to be called the war to end all wars but it wasn't. As we know. With most of the world fighting itself and one side seeming to be about to win just who came to the aid and made the difference? Thousands of brave Americans. Yes we have heroes! But they had help.

No sooner than the smoke had cleared from WWI then Hitler invaded Poland and started WWII. In the effort to put an end to his advancing army the English were driven to the beaches at Dunkirk. Germany was appearing to be unstoppable. The British were saved by a miracle and got back home. While the war raged in Europe another front was being waged from Japan. The United States was not yet in the battle but was helping with supplies being shipped across the Atlantic by the Merchant Marine, one of the most dangerous parts of the war. Then on that fateful day on December the 7th 1941 Japan attacked the United States at Pearl Harbor. The 4 days later Hitler declared war on the United States. Thousands of young men, who's hearts burned with bravery and love of God and country stood in line to fight for our nation. Many never made it home. Once again it was up to America to step in and stand for good against an evil that was intent on destroying the world. We prevailed! But we had help.

But beyond all that's been recorded in history books over the years we had families that raised their kids to be good people when they grew up. They went to work every day and paid their way through life. They valued freedom and knew the price paid so we can enjoy it. We get a glimpse of their greatness and willingness to lay everything aside and help friends, neighbors and strangers in times of need. We just spent time remembering all those that died on September 11th 2001. Many died trying to help others to live. Some rushed into flames to save others only to give their lives in doing so. In my lifetime there have been natural disasters like flooding, tornadoes and hurricanes where strangers helped strangers. The list is endless but through it all we had help.

So now we have people that pretend to be heroes that degrade our nation and burn our flag. They attack the helpless and innocent. In the name of a cause, that only exist in their own minds, they take a knee. They trash the very documents that were written in the name of God to defend freedom. So where are our heroes today? I hope they are seeing all that's going on and wondering in the hearts and minds what they/we/I can do to make sure freedom prospers. To set things right and then go back to the normal and mundane things of every day living. But we will need the same help that those great people of our past relied on and trusted in.

In the words of Alexis de Tocqueville "America will be great because America is good". That takes help. I know of only one source of help that will endure. The same as those great heroes relied in the past....God!

Fantastic post! I couldn’t agree more!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Curtis Le May is in my pantheon of heroes. Grandpa Whitey and he were good friends from Ohio State on. The story I like about Le May is when he took over the 8th. There was terrible problem with B-17 crews bringing their planes back with supposed engine problems that never held up to scrutiny on the ground. Le May announced that anyone who brought a plane back under these circumstances would be court-martialed. He then announced that he was personnally leading each mission for there on out. That cured the problem.

Speaking of Whitey, he was my hero growing up. Whitey was an Executive VP at Formica/American Cyanamid. I've never known a better man as far as his ability to earn the respect of others and make them laugh.

My Dad was my hero too, but for wholly different reasons. He made himself a millionaire many times over and did so without doing it on the backs of others. He was also the greatest schmoozer I've ever met. He knew everyone, and got along with everyone. His stories of hanging with the likes of Jackie Gleason, Arthur Godfrey, Bill Nimmo, etc. were the tales I grew up with.

Bill Nimmo: there's a name you never heard. Bill was a booth announcer at WLW in CIncinnati, and moved to the NYC market. I was watching a Youtube the other day-- an interview with Ed McMahon. He mentioned Bill. It seems Bill Nimmo was working as Johnny Carson's sidekick on Who Do You Trust, and made the mistake of taking another announcing gig just before Johnny was offered the Tonight Show. A producer knew Ed McMahon and brought him in as a replacement. Ooops. My Dad used to hang with Nimmo when he'd go to New York.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dess
Two recent examples just this week.

I don't know if they're heroes or not, but the two flag carrying young men from Little Miami High School football team, and the woman Police officer who was shot in the jaw and still protected her partner are certainly inspirations.

Doing the right thing when it needs to be done, regardless of opinion, danger, and consequences is difficult. Hats off to these people.

Hell phuqqing yes!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They’re climbing power poles restoring the electrical grid and wearing law enforcement uniforms trying to keep the streets safe for you!! They’re also driving trucks around the clock delivering your food and medicines! Stand in the middle of your den and do a 360; everything you see there was delivered by a truck!!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 09/18/20.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Outstanding topic. Dad was Commander of the local VFW post, so in my teenage years I spent a lot of weekends in the company of World War II veterans. They're all gone now, and I feel honored to have been in their presence. All of them were heroes.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
True herios are people like ministers that work long, and hard for little money.

Joel Osteen and Creflo Dollar mustn’t got the memo.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have no idea who that is. let me guess, football schithead? or maybe a pro wrastler who is playing a football player character? or some guy who worked out a lot and likes to wear football uniforms? i'm outta ideas.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,988 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.