Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Try the 17 WSM for added range and explosive fun...Price is about the same on line for 17 HMR ammo

😎

I friggin LOVE mine. I’ve got the laminate Ruger SS 18” barrel with a plain old 6x SS on top. It’s not super high end but man does it shoot and it is a blast.

And yeah, AE ammo is about 10-11 bucks a box at the PX. Feels darned near free compared to most of the other crap I shoot.

Last edited by beretzs; 09/18/20.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s cool! I have the same rifle, but walnut - Love it!

I found another Ruger 17/77 WSM with a 20” sporter/pencil tube for cheap. It shot like a blind woman with palsy was pulling the trigger.

I bought a $189 dollar stock from Boyd’s then shipped the entire shît show to Clark Customs to rebarrel and align all mechanics to proper feeding tolerances.

Should be a nail hole maker at 100 yards.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never heard of 17 Whizzum,or one of them there scopes. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Laughing!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BS and Beav, you two ever shot anything other than the AE 20’s. On a whim I just speed checked mine and this is what I came up with.

Those numbers look right to you all? The ES is pretty wide but it’s done pretty admirable out to 400 yards with the AE stuff.

No biggie either way, just wondering what you all see. It’s a blast just hammering thru ammo and not worrying too much about picking it up!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...3F_BE30_1166529970E8_IMG_6592.HEIC[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...CB_9B83_54F7E23BA11F_IMG_6590.HEIC[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...EF_BBF1_A8B8963FCAFF_IMG_6588.HEIC[/img]

Last edited by beretzs; 09/18/20.

Semper Fi
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Redneck: I know at least 50 (fifty!) avid 17 HMR users and nary a one has abandoned ship (so to say!) due to "fail to fire" issues!
And that number does NOT include myself who was one of the very first 17 HMR buyers/users/advocates.
I eagerly and earnestly advocate the useage and purchase of 17 HMR Rifles/pistols!
Long live the 17 HMR.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No FTF issues on my end. I only have one and it is disgustingly accurate. Savage heavy barrel.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I’ve never had a FTF with any of my HMR’s.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Retzs,

I shoot it all and then some. Your ES is over DOUBLE,of what I've seen/shot. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Throwin it in the creek don't kill chit, multiple shots, proper shooter lubrication & steering kills chit. Hint......
Trigger time & finesse paramont. High dollar wares don't count. Hint.......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BS, what do you think is causing it? Bad lot of ammo? I thought it was sorta high, but I have 0 to go off of beyond what the Magnetospeed tells me. Think the barrel needs more rounds through it? I know Ruger CF's are sorta rougher than a dirt road when they are new and do better as the round count goes up.

I am all ears.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
BS and Beav, you two ever shot anything other than the AE 20’s. On a whim I just speed checked mine and this is what I came up with.

Those numbers look right to you all? The ES is pretty wide but it’s done pretty admirable out to 400 yards with the AE stuff.

No biggie either way, just wondering what you all see. It’s a blast just hammering thru ammo and not worrying too much about picking it up!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...3F_BE30_1166529970E8_IMG_6592.HEIC[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...CB_9B83_54F7E23BA11F_IMG_6590.HEIC[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...EF_BBF1_A8B8963FCAFF_IMG_6588.HEIC[/img]

Beretzs,

I’ve never chrony my 17 rim fires. With that said, I only shoot AE 20 grainers as they have shown to be the most accurate out of my Ruger 17/77.

Here’s a link to a page that say's 3000 FPS is possible, per the AE box...Grins 🙄😎

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/97559/redirect

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ber,

If you ever kill your barrel, I would highly recommend trying Clark Custom for doing the rework.

Like Stick, I found my way into a used Clark custom in 17 HMR. It shoots every bit as good as my Cooper HMR but at a fraction of the cost.

Current estimate to take my Ruger 17/77 action, screw on a new blued, fluted varmint barrel, and provide their accuracy package which is basically removing machinery burrs to slick the action, head space, spring the trigger to 2lbs and hog out the stock for fit and finish....$567.00 plus shipping it home.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Retzs,

How's your ACTUAL come-ups? Is your Chronograph accurate? Hint.

I tend to believe boolits,quite a bit.(grin) I trust the scope cited. I've familiarity with said rifle too. I'm not a Magneto Guy,as all folks I know who've tried same,call for like reason(s).(grin) Hint

Regarding Rimfires,I do pay heed to Lot nomenclature and not all are the same. I cain't speak to your's,but have a grip on what I gun and there are Favorites. To be fair,I've NEVER seen anything resembling your ES and that through a goodly sized herd of rifles and more than a "bit" of ammo,on the same fhuqking day(s). Hint.

Lotsa reasons,that I largely QUIT chronographs,all fhuqking together.

Hint..................

DUMBO,

I enjoy that you "think",you are doing "good" with that piece of fhuqking schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

As an aside,what's a "paramont"? Hint LAUGHING!

You poor poor(Literally) RETARDED DUMB Fhuqk. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart,for doing your BEST,with what INCREDIBLY fhuqking little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

Laughing!...................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beav, good info. I am not a rimfire beast like some but I do enjoy hammering rounds thru them now and again, so I could see the Clark deal being pretty cool.

BS, with CF stuff the MS has been pretty fair to me. No worries either way. I shot it out to 400 a few times but I had to add some to get in center. Makes sense now that I see I’m about 100 FPS shy of what I put in the program.

I’ll shoot thru what I’ve got and buy up another lot of the AE. It’s been accurate so I’ll keep jamming thru it.

Thanks fellas. Appreciate it. I’ll run it out again this coming week and see if I can show you what it does on paper or steel at 400 and you two can left me know if I am missing out on a pile of accuracy or in the ballpark.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Paramont is paramount without the "u", as in trying to leave u out of it. But we just gotta poke the bear at times. He's fun.

That poor old Salvage has kilt more stuff than all the plagues put together. Unbelievable to the gun snobs what a country boy can perform with simple wares, kinda the Indian, not the arrow thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DUMBO,

The ONLY things you "shoot",are your mouth and Imagination...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart,you poor poor(literally) Drooling DUMB Fhuqk.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gee, was hoping for a witty or relevant comeback rather than your typical canned answer. Boring.

Sight picture, trigger. Hint.... headstamps, brands, & multiples got nothin to do with it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Am puzzled to read some of this. Have owned a .17 HMR since 2002, and never experienced FTF, while using a bunch of different ammo. My rifle's very first 3-shot group at 100 yards measured .24 inch, and just about any ammo will do .5 to 75 for 5-shot groups, Always stock up when I find a good deal, normally paying $10 or less per brick. Have a wide "variety," but most is made by CCI, no matter the brand name.

I do find the .17 HMR very useful on prairie dogs, especially for the initial shooting of a town, due to the low report compared to centerfires--which allows shooting for considerably longer before they get spooked. Usually shoot it until all the dogs within 150-200 yards (depending on the wind) have either been killed or spooked--mostly the former. Then switch to a centerfire. But very early on learned that plastic-tipped bullets are far more effective on small varmints than hollow-points. Have run into a number of people who think the .17 HMR isn't very effective--who turned out to be using hollow-points.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick, I have a question for you. You say you used to live in Kodiak. I believe you. What I want to know is why I never saw you at one of our shooting matches. We have had NRA approved HP Rifle Matches, NRA approved silhouette matches, bowling pin matches, NRA 3 position smallbore rifle matches. NRA approved pistol matches. Charging bear matches. For years we shot NRA approved HP Rifle matches 4 or 5 times every month for the whole summer. I could go on. I never saw you. Is it because you feel that you won't do as good as you think you will in an actual match? I know that the first time you go to a match it is pretty scary but I think that you should be able to handle it.

What's up?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Where are the 17 WSM’s? I found a Ruger on Gunbroker but it’s priced at $1,800 or so...
Ruger & Savage offer them. Does anyone else?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.