A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
I like the beer flavored water.

Good one !

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
I like the beer flavored water.

Second what ironbender said.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A gallon of plain. clear water a day. This is in addition to coffee, mio, etc...so probably 2+ gallons of fluids a day.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TheKid
I see a suggestion above for drinking 16oz per hour when hunting or hiking. Lots of you guys talk of drinking gallons of water per day. Question, where do you carry all of it? If I leave from camp in the morning and I’ll be gone 10-12 hours or more where do I tote a half case of water?

I may not drink enough, I generally have 1 cup of coffee, 1 canned Coke with my lunch, 2-3 bottles of water during the day depending on what I’m doing, a glass of sweet tea with supper and a bottle of beer at night. Typical day above, if I’m building fence or something like that I’ll drink more water but I just rarely find myself thirsty.

Tomorrow I am planning on a hike. 3 miles up from 7200' to 8400' then back the same route to the truck. Temps in the low 80s and around 12% humidity and bright sun. I will start with 3 quarts in a platypus and a 16 oz bottle w/ Nuun electrolyte. There will be an additional 16 lbs. of water that is carried for ballast and will be dumped at the top. When in an area with proven sources of CLEAR water I will carry a Steripen and a 1 liter Nalgene bottle in addition to the Platypus. 12 hours hunting in the mountains for me is usually divided between movement and glassing about equally. I usually carry about 25lbs which includes my rifle.

For me , a hydration system like the Platypus make it easier to stay hydrated.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Coffee is made with water & I like a splash in my whiskey !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I prefer water over most anything. Used to drink a lot of bottled water but recently (again) got a fridge with ice and water in the door. Love it. Probably 4-5 large drink glasses a day.

But there's times after hard physical labor on a hot day that an ice-cold beer is the only remedy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I see a suggestion above for drinking 16oz per hour when hunting or hiking. Lots of you guys talk of drinking gallons of water per day. Question, where do you carry all of it? If I leave from camp in the morning and I’ll be gone 10-12 hours or more where do I tote a half case of water?

I may not drink enough, I generally have 1 cup of coffee, 1 canned Coke with my lunch, 2-3 bottles of water during the day depending on what I’m doing, a glass of sweet tea with supper and a bottle of beer at night. Typical day above, if I’m building fence or something like that I’ll drink more water but I just rarely find myself thirsty.

Tomorrow I am planning on a hike. 3 miles up from 7200' to 8400' then back the same route to the truck. Temps in the low 80s and around 12% humidity and bright sun. I will start with 3 quarts in a platypus and a 16 oz bottle w/ Nuun electrolyte. There will be an additional 16 lbs. of water that is carried for ballast and will be dumped at the top. When in an area with proven sources of CLEAR water I will carry a Steripen and a 1 liter Nalgene bottle in addition to the Platypus. 12 hours hunting in the mountains for me is usually divided between movement and glassing about equally. I usually carry about 25lbs which includes my rifle.

mike r

Mike,

you ever thing of just leaving the two gallons of H2O on the top of the mountain in case someone gets up there without any?

Other than the platypus system, my hunting trips are similar to your. I may no go as far, but between the day pack and weapon of the day, 25lbs is pretty close.

Hope you enjoyed the hike and there wasn't too many folks up on the hill today.,

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Mike,

you ever thing of just leaving the two gallons of H2O on the top of the mountain in case someone gets up there without any?

Other than the platypus system, my hunting trips are similar to your. I may no go as far, but between the day pack and weapon of the day, 25lbs is pretty close.

Hope you enjoyed the hike and there wasn't too many folks up on the hill today.,

Nope, I carry the water in 2, 1 gallon plastic containers that cost $12.00 each. I water a Bristlecone, my favorite tree. The hike will be tomorrow, I would enjoy it more if were cooler but I need and enjoy the workout. For me a total of 25 lbs. is max to enjoy the day.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Must be some nice gallon jugs. Pretty leakproof I imagine. What brand? I can see not wanting to leave them up there .

Don't over water that bristlecone, I hear they like it dry.

Enjoy the hike tomorrow, I missed that earlier.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
VD, they are nalgene 1 gal. widemouth square bottles. I have had them a long time and no leaks. I used to train w/ 5 of them in my pack, those days are over nowgrin

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aha,

good ol' Nalgenes

We used a couple of 1L ones when we did our Sierra hikes with Scouts years ago. Of course, there used to be water every 5 miles on those hikes too, so no need to carry gallons. And we drank from creeks, lakes, and springs without fear of "beaver fever" and I cannot recall any cases of a kid or adult getting sick. Maybe we were just tougher?

In it is contentment

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I get some every time I see this thread.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.