Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by viking
Why do dudes pay $1200 for a mini? They probably didn’t. Like bull sale a partner will bid up the critter to make the average go up and visa versa. No money every really changed hands.

Lots of people dont realize this.
Plenty of times the same firearm is back on several weeks later.
If ya surf gunbroker and guns america 2 to 3 times a week, you will see this happening.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Why do dudes pay $1200 for a mini? They probably didn’t. Like bull sale a partner will bid up the critter to make the average go up and visa versa. No money every really changed hands.

Scared money spends w/ ease. Most will remember the days of $100.00 hi cap mags and $2500.00 AKs.

Or as what was once said, I think by Fabulous Frank, "pot is more comfort in times of no money than is money in times of no pot". Even the Freak Bros. understood basic economics.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought a new one a couple of months ago. Regassed it and installed a buffer. Accuracy is plenty for its purpose, and I'm planning on spending any time trying to tweak it into something it's not designed to be. With 5-round mags, it carries very nicely, not M1 Carbine nice, but still very handy.

I initially thought it was just like everybody says, a scattergun, but turned out the problem was the scope couldn't hold zero while being whacked every shot by the operating rod slamming into the receiver. Replaced the rings with the rail, mounted a SS 6x42, and it settled down. Once that was settled, It was replaced with a PA 1x reflex. Will check later to see if one of my lasers will fit in front of that.

Only reliabilty issues occurred while testing different gas ports. The .045 is dead reliable so far, while taming the tendancy to toss brass over the moon, and reducing the dented cases. As to accuracy, 2" will hit anything I need to with this rifle, especially with the "compromised" optic I'm using. Funny how many seem to overlook the accuracy issues of the sainted AK and other rifles, but zero in on the Mini for that, while also ignoring the improvements that have been made. Only minor gripe with the design is that 5-rounders are a bit tricky to insert. The 30s are fine. I much prefer the M1-type bolt handle to the AR's charging handle.

A big plus for me is that it carries just like any other sporting rifle with the 5-rounders in place. If my season goes well, this one may make it into the rotation for some doe shooting.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Bought a new one a couple of months ago. Regassed it and installed a buffer. Accuracy is plenty for its purpose, and I'm planning on spending any time trying to tweak it into something it's not designed to be. With 5-round mags, it carries very nicely, not M1 Carbine nice, but still very handy.

I initially thought it was just like everybody says, a scattergun, but turned out the problem was the scope couldn't hold zero while being whacked every shot by the operating rod slamming into the receiver. Replaced the rings with the rail, mounted a SS 6x42, and it settled down. Once that was settled, It was replaced with a PA 1x reflex. Will check later to see if one of my lasers will fit in front of that.

Only reliabilty issues occurred while testing different gas ports. The .045 is dead reliable so far, while taming the tendancy to toss brass over the moon, and reducing the dented cases. As to accuracy, 2" will hit anything I need to with this rifle, especially with the "compromised" optic I'm using. Funny how many seem to overlook the accuracy issues of the sainted AK and other rifles, but zero in on the Mini for that, while also ignoring the improvements that have been made. Only minor gripe with the design is that 5-rounders are a bit tricky to insert. The 30s are fine. I much prefer the M1-type bolt handle to the AR's charging handle.

A big plus for me is that it carries just like any other sporting rifle with the 5-rounders in place. If my season goes well, this one may make it into the rotation for some doe shooting.

guys put a 1911 buffer over the return spring where it goes into the hole in the mag well. absorbs some of the shock. along with the smaller port it will be better. guys make me laugh when they say a 1x4 or 1x6 scope they would take into combat when mini 14's and the Scar rifles were eating scopes. ghost ring sites for me

Attached Images
1911buffera-1.jpg (46.47 KB, 211 downloads)
Last edited by SPQR70AD; 09/21/20.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by 100grNP
Stock ranch rifle stainless synthetic sell for 1,225.00 on gunbroker.

Dang, just bought a used 580 series last week for $350. Put a red dot on it and it will do 2" @100 with my old eyes using federal fmj ammo

viking was right...a lot of bullchitten going on here

Sure is now flush your mouth

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a set from Accuracy Sytems, who also make the port kit I used. Came with two; the instructions said try two, then remove one if the bolt doesn't lock back on an empty mag.

The original scope, a Hawke Endurance(!) 2-7 was fine for a few shots, then jumped impact to someplace else. Readjusted, rinse, repeat. The SS in "Horn" rings stayed put. Had a moment of doubt about the whole deal until I puzzled that out. Now I really like the oogly little spud. The buffers were installed after the fact, BTW. Accuracy seems about like the Springfield Saint I had a while back, and which I never cared for all that much. Different strokes.

I like the way it takes down too. Yank the trigger guard back and it just falls apart. Take the whole trigger group out, hose it out, lube it a bit and it's good. Gas system couldn't be much simpler. My reloads are with TAC to keep the crud to a minimum.

Paid something over $900, from Oakland Guns in AR. Found extra mags at CDNN.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Minis are known scope wreckers.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Is it the rearward recoil or forward slam?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Dang, just bought a used 580 series last week for $350. Put a red dot on it and it will do 2" @100 with my old eyes using federal fmj ammo

do you really think any body believe with guns being so scarce and new minis going for 1200 that you paid 350 for one and it shoots 2 inch groups? put down the needle the bottle and the pain pills and rethink it

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348

guys put a 1911 buffer over the return spring where it goes into the hole in the mag well. absorbs some of the shock. along with the smaller port it will be better. guys make me laugh when they say a 1x4 or 1x6 scope they would take into combat when mini 14's and the Scar rifles were eating scopes. ghost ring sites for me

Peep or open irons for me.....

I was very accurate shooting em with the m14.....

The happy switch was fun.........

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

it has to be the rearward slam being going forward stripping a round from the mag slows it down absorbs the shock

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by K1500
Minis are known scope wreckers.

but...but....I have read a million times scopes are more durable then irons
the SCAR rifle wrecks "indestructable" scopes

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

do you really think any body believe with guns being so scarce and new minis going for 1200 that you paid 350 for one and it shoots 2 inch groups? put down the needle the bottle and the pain pills and rethink it

LOL beleive what you want, I know what I paid

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

it has to be the rearward slam being going forward stripping a round from the mag slows it down absorbs the shock

I believe it’s the forward, similar to a spring air rifle. Scopes aren’t really constructed to resist forward ‘recoil’, so a scope that does just fine in a big kicking centerfield can be torn up by a springer of a mini with the forward recoil.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
a nightforce NSX 1-4 for the mini 14, it should be able to take the beating

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would hope so. On the mini I’ve destroyed a Bushnell (decades ago) and had good luck with a newer Redfield 2-7. The Bushnell rattled like a castanet and the reticle was floating around in circles. Needless to say, it was truly barn door (in)accurate with that scope. FWIW, the scope previously was on a bolt action .30-06 with no issues.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Now, I recall. I believe guys over on the perfect union were installing 1911 recoil buffers up front too. Eventually they get ate up from hot cases, but tamed it down.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I snagged a nice little SA-22 for $450 the other day.

Not bad.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Classy little 22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The PA works well. Since it can be focused like a scope, no glasses are needed. Works without batteries. Eye relief isn't unlimited, but plenty, and with both my eyes open it lines up very quickly. Lights up if needed. The center is a fine chevron, surrounded by a pretty thick donut, which can be used for ranging and holding at 200 and 300. Would prefer something simpler, but of all the ones I checked, this one's the best. Hope it holds up, but have other stuff waiting in line if it crashes.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (219 Wasp, 2five7, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 38 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,825
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.