Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
These type movies have always been one of my favorite genres. There are all types of them-- from monsters to zombies, from aliens to natural disasters, from nuclear war to collapse of the environment.
There's the Mad Max movies, Book of Eli, Contagion, Planet of the Apes (original), Walking Dead (and other zombie movies), 12 Monkeys, Terminator series, The Road.
Then there's comedy ones like Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead.
And musicals...... like Anna and the Apocalypse.

Wondering, What are some of your favorite movies in this general genre. Many of the ones I mentioned, I liked.

Saw one about 6 months ago that was really different than any I had seen. I really liked it, watched it twice.

it is called "The Domestics". Catch it if you're able.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Purdy much sums it up. Now if slow joe wins we all will have a part.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking
Purdy much sums it up. Now if slow joe wins we all will have a part.

Funny and sad at the same time....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone has to mention A Boy and His Dog in this thread, so I will.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
"On the Beach," the 1959 movie starring Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner. Very dark and depressing.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
These type movies have always been one of my favorite genres. There are all types of them-- from monsters to zombies, from aliens to natural disasters, from nuclear war to collapse of the environment.
There's the Mad Max movies, Book of Eli, Contagion, Planet of the Apes (original), Walking Dead (and other zombie movies), 12 Monkeys, Terminator series, The Road.

Wondering, What are some of your favorite movies in this general genre. Many of the ones I mentioned, I liked.

Saw one about 6 months ago that was really different than any I had seen. I really liked it, watched it twice.

You covered a lot of the best picks from the genre. The Road is probably the hardest for me to watch and it is documented that it left out of the movie several of the worst moments from the book.

The only one I will add is Maggie. Kind of fits into the pseudo post-apocalyptic role about as well as some of the other ones on your list but is a zombie movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. This is not the typical action and guts zombie movie...very different and probably one of Arnie's better ACTED movies that I can recall from his career.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Television series called "Jericho" was interesting.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter

You covered a lot of the best picks from the genre. The Road is probably the hardest for me to watch and it is documented that it left out of the movie several of the worst moments from the book.

The only one I will add is Maggie. Kind of fits into the pseudo post-apocalyptic role about as well as some of the other ones on your list but is a zombie movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. This is not the typical action and guts zombie movie...very different and probably one of Arnie's better ACTED movies that I can recall from his career.

Do read the book - The Road, if you have not. Cormac Mcarthy. Terribly dark book. Brilliant and beautiful writing. The movie does it fairly well, but not well enough. As is so often the case.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I am Legend is pretty good. I liked the Postman, many didn't.

Ya can't forget Hesston, The Omega Man & Soylent Green

There is one movie that I looked for this morning but can't remember the name. Suburbanites dealing with a power outage for days & finally deciding to bug out. They get way out of their element while out on the road.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You hit most of the high points. "A Boy and His Dog" was an early favorite.

I'd add "28 Days Later" as a pretty good zombie style movie. Not exactly end of the world but end of London as we know it.

"The Girl with All the Gifts" and "Children of Men" are well told stories with a different take on the genre.

Skip most of the apocalyptic movies from the late 70's or 80's and especially anything with "barbarians roaming the wastelands" in the plot and especially if it has outlaw/mutant/marauder gangs riding 2 stroke dirt bikes in the 22nd Century. They're not even good for a bad laugh. Except "Road Warrior", that one's great.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Omega Man and then Mad Max for the action scenes.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bushwick is a pretty good newer flick. Starts off really good.

The Divide was pretty good, kind of slow and dark but worth a watch.

Last edited by TallPine; 09/22/20.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Three books on the subject that have not been made into movies, Lucifer'sHammer, Alas Babylon and One Second After. All three are good reads.

On movies there's The Day after and an old black and white from the 60", Terror From the Year Zero. Not too badly done considering it was from American International who made most of the horror and monster films of the period.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 1st Terminator and The Road Warrior. The Road Warrior kinda falls in line with Mad Max, but I liked it better.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JeffyD
"On the Beach," the 1959 movie starring Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner. Very dark and depressing.

I've never seen the movie but I did read the book in middle school and it was very good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Three books on the subject that have not been made into movies, Lucifer'sHammer, Alas Babylon and One Second After. All three are good reads.

On movies there's The Day after and an old black and white from the 60", Terror From the Year Zero. Not too badly done considering it was from American International who made most of the horror and monster films of the period.
Paul B.

Would love to see all three of those books made into movies, although the, shall we say "racial attitudes" of Alas Babylon from the late 50's would be heavily modified today.

Just googled it and Alas, Babylon was done as a Playhouse 90 TV production in 1960. Going to have to look that up to see if it's available on one of the streaming channels.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunzo

There is one movie that I looked for this morning but can't remember the name. Suburbanites dealing with a power outage for days & finally deciding to bug out. They get way out of their element while out on the road.

I found it. "The trigger Effect". Not post apocalyptic but a interesting look at human nature when things get out of whack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The book, Dies The Fire, was a really good read on post-apocalyptic life.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12savage, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,936
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.