Print Thread
Hop To
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Four years ago this month, I bought the Guide Gun (45-70) which I had wanted since Marlin introduced it. I bought it from a fellow fire member....new in box. Soon after, I bought an Accurate Molds’ bullet mold for a 430 grain WNFP. Two years ago, I got around to casting some bullets. The rifle was still new, until a week and a half ago! I powder coated, gas checked some bullets, and ran a few downrange. These were the results! Pretty pleased, and wishing I’d done this 4 years ago!

I’ve only fired 10 rounds so far, put new bases/rings on the scope this morning, and hoping to shoot it a bit more soon! memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by memtb; 09/22/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice. Haven’t seen many of those Marlin 45-70 that didn’t shoot like that. They think they’re 22-250’s sometimes.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Very nice!

With the powder coating, how is your bore looking after a few rounds? I'm guessing it's pretty clean and no leading?

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks beretzs, I’m pretty happy so far

Montana Marine, I need to take a look.....haven’t yet! I hoping that this powder coating is all it’s cracked-up to be! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good shooting.

Very large game load.

How FAR "downrange"?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Thanks SheriffJoe, yes should be a good big game load! Not planning on trying it long range. If I knew that my local hunts would be exclusively timber, I’d think about using it, or if I have the opportunity to go south for a hog hunt.

I’ve used 1 rifle only, for almost 30 years...I hate to leave an old friend at home! memtb

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by memtb
Thanks beretzs, I’m pretty happy so far

Montana Marine, I need to take a look.....haven’t yet! I hoping that this powder coating is all it’s cracked-up to be! memtb

Mine initially had a bore that would grab lead, and accuracy went to hell after about four or five rounds. I fire-lapped it with a kit from Midway, and after that it is fine.

I haven't tried any powder coated bullets, but they look real promising, and I've only heard good results about them.

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

When I first got mine, I hand lapped/polished the bore.....I do this to any firearm I get. I also tried to clean-up/ polish much of the action. I may be fooling myself, but, I believe I did it some good. The action seems very smooth, cycles rounds through very easily. My only other experience with a lever action, was my first rifle ....a Winchester Model 88. So far, I’m really starting to like the feel of this rifle! Also, the recoil is not nearly as bad as many have indicated it would be.

I’ll try to take a look at the bore (only 10 rounds through it), and let you know what I find! At this point, I’m liking the powder coating.

My only regret....it took me so long to get one! memtb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Get more...make up for that "regret" concept.

For others experiencing "leading"...try Chore Boy pads or bronze wool and use .459 or .460 diameter bullets.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

👍 memtb

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 64 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.