Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn nice pile of groceries. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

J - not a drop of rain the entire trip.

Also, they added two subsistence tags to this year's quota for Berners Bay. Heard two guys from Thorne Bay scored them. No idea whether they were successful - any word on your end?

I didn’t hear anything. Might need to put in next year.

Thanks. We are heading in about 9 days for our moose hunt. Low odds on kuiu but it’s our yearly tradition.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
AK folk, how does ADGF decide if a moose is legal in a 50-inch minimum (for example) area, when one side is busted off? Double the existing side? Just curious, cuz I'd want to shoot him ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

ANY bull tag. He was 50" +

Brought the antlers and lower jaw section (required) to ADF&G. On the hunt report card, they have a place for how wide. I told the tech he could estimate it pretty easy. He wasn't interested. The only data they collected was that it had one right-side brow tine. They will age it from the teeth - which is probably the most important data to them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think they still have to be 50". So, pretty tough to do on a one-horner. If it were "double the big side", you'd see a lot more one-sided moose, after the fact...

We saw two different bulls with horn issues this year. One was a 3 point (barely), and thus not a legal spike/fork. Other was about this size of MM's, but he got shot as his little side formed a spike. Didn't get shot by us, and don't know what F&G would do with it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

ANY bull tag. He was 50" +

Brought the antlers and lower jaw section (required) to ADF&G. On the hunt report card, they have a place for how wide. I told the tech he could estimate it pretty easy. He wasn't interested. The only data they collected was that it had one right-side brow tine. They will age it from the teeth - which is probably the most important data to them.

A general question, not about your bull.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Maybe they want one-horned bulls to walk. Unless of course, the one horn meets minimum smile Now that'd be cool!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Colorado Muzzy Bull

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice Bill, I start on the 3rd for musket Roosevelts.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bill_N
Colorado Muzzy Bull

That's a decent bull. A muzzy elk is on my bucket list for sure. I've got a few CO elk points - what unit did you hunt?. Musket looks like an Omega. What bullet/powder did you use? and did you upgrade your iron sights? I have an Omega and definately want to put a peep sight on it.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Unit 13 which is part of unit 11. 3 points should get you a tag. My load was a 350 gr Federal BOR Lock over 110 gr of BH 209. I put an EABCO sight on mine. If you do that you may want to put a lower front sight on. I ran out of vertical adjustment on the peep trying to raise point of impact.

I had read quite a few good reports on terminal performance of this bullet but they seem a little soft to me. I hit the bull a little lower and further back than I wanted. Caught the back of one lung and destroyed the liver but the bullet didn't exit. It was flattened out under the hide on the offside. I'm not sure if it even hit a rib. I definitely wouldn't try to shoot through the shoulder with it.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Bill_N]Colorado Muzzy Bull

----------------------------------------------

You look younger than I feel. whistle
I'm glad you're able to hunt, kill, & retrieve (however) a bull.

N I C E
Congrats

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Jerry! I'm 63 and hopefully have a few more elk hunts left in me grin. I was hunting with an outfitter and we loaded the bull into the back of a Ranger and drove him back to camp. I don't have many friends who can afford to hunt out west at this point and I'm not real anxious to try and get an elk out on my own at my age.

Here's a pic of the EABCO Aperture sight. As you can see the peep is at the top of the adjustment range. I thought I'd drop a set of rings on the base and mount my scope but with the peep that high it would hit the tube on my scope with medium rings. I'm just going to reinstall my old base to keep the scope nice and low.

Last edited by Bill_N; 09/24/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yep - I've got the exact same setup and, like you, found I needed a different front sight and that my scope would hit the aperture. Not exactly how EABCO markets it.

Colorado has the best MZ seasons of all the states that I apply for. NV has a few rut hunts, but they are awfully hard to draw.

I'll probably roll with a Thor bullet when I go elk hunting in CO.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bill

I'm 70 and yes, I could make the hunt. However there's no way I could PACK out an Elk that size or Moose.

At 63, I could have. I have 3 health issues that limit my packing abilities. Torn knee being the most painful.

IF you pay for my 'outfitter with a truck', I'd go IF I had to borrow the $$$. grin

Congrats Again.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Muskeg,

I'd say it depends on what bullet you're shooting. EABCO does offer a lower front sight for $20 that I'm going to buy in case I use the peep again. I was also going to go with Thor bullets. I went through the whole thing with the sizing pack ended up shooting 300 gr Ballistic Tip .501's. Even though they seem to be the right size they're still tough to load. I picked up the Federal BOR Lock's at Cabela's while getting more powder. They were much more consistent than the Thor's so I decided to use them.

Jerry, I had a torn meniscus in my left knee but an arthroscopy fixed it up before I retired. My son is going with me somewhere next year. We'll figure that out this fall/winter. Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Colorado Muzzy Bull

Congrats, Bill_N!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I use the same EABCO rear aperture on my CVA Accura V2. I really like it. I also had to install a Williams fire sight front sight as it is quite a bit lower than the CVA factory sight. I killed my Co. cow at 142 yards with my home cast and powder coated Lee REAL 320 gr. bullets. They shoot awesome out of my rifle when combined with Blackhorn 209 powder.

I had 2 tags and was able to take her calf at 184 yards.

My good buddy was also able to hang his tag on a real nice 6 point. He shoots an Accura with a SeeAll open sight and 300 gr. Thor's.

It was a very Hot, dry, dusty and tough hunt but we were able to fill out. Public land DYI hunt. 2 of the tags came off the leftover list.

Good to see some tags getting filled.

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 09/25/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great shooting Todd! How was the penetration with your home cast bullets and the Thor?

Last edited by Bill_N; 09/25/20.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We didn’t capture a single bullet. 3 shots, 3 dead elk. My buddy killed his bull at 25 yards with the Thor. Complete pass through with awesome terminal performance.

Todd

Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,844
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.