24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
dhaulk Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought a box of 30-30 ammo yesterday and was a bit disappointed by what I found when I open the box. This was name brand ammo that my grandfather always swore by. But seems like I remember the quality being way better. First the projectiles weren't uniformly seated (some were in the case farther then others) and second the tips were all buggered up. They are 150 grain copper jacketed soft points. But the lead was all dented and even looks like it ran down the side of the copper.

[Linked Image]

I took a piece of emery cloth and cleaned them all up I don't know if it makes a difference or not as far as how well they shoot but I just can't put something that ugly in my gun. Has anyone else experienced this? I mean is it common or did I just manage to get a box of uglies out of 100,000 good boxes? Also did I do any good in cleaning them up or is it just a waste of time?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The condition you describe sounds typical of ammunition that was loaded into the magzine for hunting, carried around, and unloaded after hunting. This doesn't account for the exposed lead running down the side of the jacket though.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send 'em back------they'll give you more for less......

dhaulk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Send 'em back------they'll give you more for less......

I called the store where I bought them and they told me they don't take returns on ammo. So it looks like I am stuck with them and yes they did look like they had been loaded and unloaded a few times but they are brand new. Maybe some young kid at the store likes to load guns and unload them when no ones around lol.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Contact the manufacturer. If these cartridges are from a reputable manufacturer I'm sure they'd like to know about below average merchandise getting into circulation.

IC B2

dhaulk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by wallaby
Contact the manufacturer. If these cartridges are from a reputable manufacturer I'm sure they'd like to know about below average merchandise getting into circulation.

If I get anymore in that shape then I will do that. I took them shooting yesterday after having cleaned them all up with emery cloth. They seemed to all shoot ok had 20 rounds in a 4" grouping at 100yds from standing unsupported.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

[/quote]They seemed to all shoot ok had 20 rounds in a 4" grouping at 100yds from standing unsupported. [/quote]

I suggest you go see if they have more like it and buy it all....

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I don't think it would do much for my confidence level to stuff something that bad in the chamber when hunting.

The hardest part is finding a big buck. The easiest part is getting "em" out. - Larry Benoit
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go back to the store on a Saturday afternoon,
or anytime they are busy, do NOT cuss or get angry,
but do talk a little louder than normal. Tell the
salesman you made a purchase last week and are un-happy
about the sale. Ask to speak with the owner / manager.

By calling them on the phone, you made it much to easy
for them to say no.

Good Luck

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.